GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Convince me otherwise...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-18, 02:51 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Consumer Reports is showing Porche as below average predicted reliability according to their reader surveys. Lexus is still at the top. If reliability is the main factor, then there shouldn't be anymore requirement to convince you otherwise. Good looks only goes as far as the first call for a tow truck.
Old 05-22-18, 07:15 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

One of my buddies is on his second Panamera Turbo S and swears by the Porsche brand. His experience with both of these vehicles has been relatively trouble free, from what I know. Daily driver/commuter.

Another one of my good buddies owns a Cayman S and it has been an absolute money pit. Also daily driven.

Personally, I thought I was done with German cars a long time ago but would probably end up buying a 911 Targa 4 at some point in my life.

For right now, though, the GS is serving my needs nicely.
Old 05-23-18, 05:24 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
I always laugh at people that make comments like this. wanting and being able to afford an expensive car doesn't mean someone has to be flagrant with the expenses that go with the vehicle. Wealthy people aren't typically wealthy because they are foolish with their finances. They are wealthy because they are frugal.
I am just saying that you buy a certain level of vehicle and there are things you cannot complain about. MPG being one of them. It is completely illogical to want a 500hp car and 40 MPG. So when we talk about performance and someone mentions MPG it is just asinine.
Originally Posted by AJLex19
Damn never heard of such a thing from a dealership / brand! Is there a reason that a Porsche Dealership refuses to work on a Porsche vehicle that is 10 years old? I imagine that dealers would be the ones Porsche owners would feel most comfortable taking an older Porsche with a problem (e.g. non mechanics like navigation, radio, parking sensors, etc.) to get serviced...
Their reasoning is "we cannot keep the records and schematics of every car past 10 years. It becomes too cumbersome to maintain. Plus, the vehicle specific tooling is too expensive when the service volume doesn't support the cost" My dads Porsche has 19mm aluminium lug nuts that require an aluminium socket LOL
Old 05-23-18, 06:01 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
Their reasoning is "we cannot keep the records and schematics of every car past 10 years. It becomes too cumbersome to maintain. Plus, the vehicle specific tooling is too expensive when the service volume doesn't support the cost" My dads Porsche has 19mm aluminium lug nuts that require an aluminium socket LOL
Wow lol...although i understand their reasoning, it seems a bit silly for a dealership to say that they can't afford to service the product they sell. I can't imagine buying a 2010 Porsche model from them and then in a year and a half they say they can't help me service the car! Curious if they would sell a 2007 or earlier Porsche
Old 05-23-18, 06:14 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by atrac7
Lately the discussion between my wife and me centers around a bigger vehicle for the future. This means moving towards an SUV, which i am generally against. However...the Cayennes from Porsche in the 2012-2014 era have started to look a bit appealing. Seems like it is a very good balance of space, speed and handling. I am particularly fond of the GTS models.

I am sure I can't expect Lexus like dependability on this front, but does anyone here have thoughts on switching over to the Porsche brand? Or thoughts on why I should just stay with the Lexus guys? I do seem to hear very solid things from Porsche in terms of reliability, which always surprised me given the usual track record of German makes.
I think you have the right idea going into the situation knowing that you may not get Toyota/Lexus like reliability out of the Porsche. There is a trade off and if you're looking for a GTS model and comparing it to your Lexus for instance, there are a lot of pro's to getting the Porsche - lots of power, great looks, brand Prestige, cargo space (compared to your GS)...con's may be the gas mileage (compared to your GS), costs to maintain, and reliability.

I would say to go for the Porsche if you need a bigger ride and can get a certified model that covers you for a few years. And keep the GS around when you want to stay "incognito" :-)
Old 05-23-18, 10:24 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Wow lol...although i understand their reasoning, it seems a bit silly for a dealership to say that they can't afford to service the product they sell. I can't imagine buying a 2010 Porsche model from them and then in a year and a half they say they can't help me service the car! Curious if they would sell a 2007 or earlier Porsche
Just checked their used car inventory, oldest one is 2013 LOL. Although, that car is a 2013 Panamara (V6) AWD for only $46K....
Old 05-24-18, 02:53 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't listen to anyone on this site lol.

Get what you like but don't ask Lexus owners about Porsches... ask Porsche owners about Porsches.
Old 05-25-18, 05:29 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

^ Don't ask Porsche owners about Porsches either! Lots like to complain haha
Old 05-25-18, 09:19 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
Don't listen to anyone on this site lol.

Get what you like but don't ask Lexus owners about Porsches... ask Porsche owners about Porsches.
That is not always the case, the people who convinced me not to get a used E39 5 series and get a Lexus GS were E39 5 series owners.
Old 05-25-18, 09:49 AM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Porsche engineers design the 911 and other sports cars. VW/Audi engineers design the CUV/SUVs, then Porsche puts on specific options.

I think Porsches are cool and would love to own one, but basic maintenance is too rich for my blood (couple hundred dollars for an oil change).

I owned an Audi A4, loved the way it drove but every year it was $1,000 for something that wasn't basic maintenance e.g. control arms, ABS module.

I did my own maintenance and it took twice as long as on my Toyota, it seems Toyota engineers take ease of maintenance (thus lower operating cost) into design consideration while VW engineers may not.

Just passing along information, ultimately each individual decides how much to weigh different factors.
Old 05-25-18, 03:25 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That is not always the case, the people who convinced me not to get a used E39 5 series and get a Lexus GS were E39 5 series owners.
Same here. I lingered on BMW, Infiniti and Acura forum for a couple of months and decided to stay close to home with the GS. Didn’t have to linger on the Audi forum at all. Already experienced the torture fest and whacky parts model with them first hand.