GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 10:48 AM
uibalnme
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Strange battery issue

I replace the factory original battery in my ‘13 GS350 F-Sport late last year. The new battery did fine for months. Then this past March, it failed to start the engine. Jump started it and it was fine until today. Same thing, it would not start the engine. Jumped it again, but this time it threw a code. My scanner shows crankshaft position sensor “A”. Might be because it took 2 tried to turn the engine over. Maybe the computer got a bit confused?

I did did get it started, cleared the code, and it drives fine. The charging system shows 14V at startup then settles to 13.2V at operating temp which is what this car has done since I bought it back in ‘16.

Anyone have any insight as to what might be going on?
Old 05-20-18, 12:00 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Do you have anything that isn't stock pulling against the battery?
Old 05-20-18, 12:22 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Make sure the battery terminals are very clean and tight. Also check the 3 main ground connections to insure they are tight and clean.
Old 05-20-18, 12:58 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by uibalnme
I replace the factory original battery in my ‘13 GS350 F-Sport late last year. The new battery did fine for months. Then this past March, it failed to start the engine. Jump started it and it was fine until today. Same thing, it would not start the engine. Jumped it again, but this time it threw a code. My scanner shows crankshaft position sensor “A”. Might be because it took 2 tried to turn the engine over. Maybe the computer got a bit confused?

I did did get it started, cleared the code, and it drives fine. The charging system shows 14V at startup then settles to 13.2V at operating temp which is what this car has done since I bought it back in ‘16.

Anyone have any insight as to what might be going on?
Some 2013 and 2014 GS 350s had (have) a mysterious parasitic drain on the battery via the Network Gateway ECU module. The actual parasitic drain was (is) almost impossible to determine its exact root cause, or to even confirm its existence. Suddenly an almost new, fresh, battery would be unable to start the engine. Some batteries tested would be drained, while others tested would show practically a full charge...which was just another mysterious part of the event. It's almost a phantom happenstance, which for the most part is impossible to verify what/why it (unable to start the engine) happened.

It's my understanding that those GS 350s (and possibly some 2013 and 2014 ES 350 Lexus models) that have had their ECU module replaced due to the problem have not experienced any further mysterious battery drain-downs or unable to start the engine (with a decent battery of course). However, I suspect that 2013 owners with the original ECU module (that have never experienced or had to deal with this problem) could possibly experience this problem for the first time well into their ownership.

I'm not saying this is your problem, but the way you described what happened and how new (fresh) your battery is, this issue quickly came to mind...

Here is the Technical Service Bulletin that addresses the Intermittent Battery Discharge, which took Lexus 2-3 years to acknowledge this issue. The bulletin provides the models and VIN numbers for the affected vehicles. Even though your particular VIN number may be outside the VIN numbers shown, your ECU may still be one of the modules affected...and it just took until recently to show itself.

Here is just one (or many) threads about this Parasitic Battery Drain event.

Hope it helps...

Last edited by bclexus; 05-20-18 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 01:37 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Some 2013 and 2014 GS 350s had (have) a mysterious parasitic drain on the battery via the Network Gateway ECU module. The actual parasitic drain was (is) almost impossible to determine its exact root cause, or to even confirm its existence. Suddenly an almost new, fresh, battery would be unable to start the engine. Some batteries tested would be drained, while others tested would show practically a full charge...which was just another mysterious part of the event. It's almost a phantom happenstance, which for the most part is impossible to verify what/why it (unable to start the engine) happened.

It's my understanding that those GS 350s (and possibly some ES 350 2013 and 2014 Lexus models) that have had their ECU module replaced due to the problem have not experienced any further mysterious battery drain-downs or unable to start the engine (with a decent battery of course), however I suspect that 2013 owners with the original ECU module (that have never experienced this problem) could possibly experience this problem for the first time well into their ownership.

I'm not saying this is your problem, but the way you described what happened and how new (fresh) your battery is, this issue quickly came to mind...

Here is the Technical Service Bulletin that addresses the Intermittent Battery Discharge, which took Lexus 2-3 years to acknowledge this issue. The bulletin provides the models and VIN numbers for the affected vehicles. Even though your particular VIN number may be outside the VIN numbers shown, your ECU may still be one of the modules affected...and it just took until recently to show itself.

Hope it helps...
Damn that was a good reply...
Old 05-20-18, 04:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Damn that was a good reply...
Thanks! I try to please help...
Old 05-20-18, 10:26 PM
uibalnme
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Do you have anything that isn't stock pulling against the battery?
Aside from the battery, I haven’t touched the electrical system.

Originally Posted by bclexus

It's my understanding that those GS 350s (and possibly some 2013 and 2014 ES 350 Lexus models) that have had their ECU module replaced due to the problem have not experienced any further mysterious battery drain-downs or unable to start the engine (with a decent battery of course). However, I suspect that 2013 owners with the original ECU module (that have never experienced or had to deal with this problem) could possibly experience this problem for the first time well into their ownership.

Hope it helps...
That’s great info! I’ll look into that. However, being that I bought the car used without warranty, I may end up paying out of pocket for a replacement ecu. Which will be around $1000 or something. Not exactly in the budget.

For now, I’ll have to cross my fingers and hope that my portable jump starter will keep me from getting stuck should this happen again. I also have AAA, but I hate waiting for them to show up.

Last edited by uibalnme; 05-20-18 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 11:02 AM
GoKnights
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My battery gets replaced every year and I'm thinking my car suffers from the parasitic drain. I really don't get why this TSB was not be brought to my attention by the dealer. My CPO warranty just expired too. Would the dealer be able to cover this because of how often my battery failed previously?
Old 07-05-18, 12:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GoKnights
My battery gets replaced every year and I'm thinking my car suffers from the parasitic drain. I really don't get why this TSB was not be brought to my attention by the dealer. My CPO warranty just expired too. Would the dealer be able to cover this because of how often my battery failed previously?
The only way you will find out (for sure) is to ask.
Old 07-05-18, 01:02 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKnights
Because they're lazy and they don't want to deal with it. (although I bet dealers get paid for servicing TSBs somehow).

Plus back in 2013 a whole bunch of Lexus ES and GS had this problem (and possibly other cars) so they got used to the "Deny and deflect" strategy instead of admitting that the car was killing the batteries. My mother literally got told that she had to "drive the car more" or some bull**** like that when her ES kept self draining after being turned off for 2-3 weeks when she flew out to CA. Then the problem just stopped, and I believe they changed the ECU without telling her on the next visit...

-Mike
Old 07-05-18, 01:22 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
(although I bet dealers get paid for servicing TSBs somehow).
-Mike
The dealer charges this back to Lexus under warranty work and they get paid the warranty rate on parts and labor for completing the service by Lexus corporate. The warranty labor rate paid to them is lower than what they bill customers (and it's also paid at a flat hourly book rate, which could be less time than what the dealer would charge for the same repair under non-warranty work), so it's in effect not worth as much to them. If you service at a high volume dealer they won't want to do it because they could spend that time servicing another vehicle and being paid full labor rate instead. There is also a whole headache of administrative work that goes into getting paid from the manufacturer (billing correct repair codes, using exact part #s, keeping and inventorying old parts, etc.).

Last edited by np20412; 07-05-18 at 01:31 PM.