Help needed! 2013 GS350 Fsport VS 2015 Acura TLX V6 Tech Pacakge

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 07:20 AM
Mikesav6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed! 2013 GS350 Fsport VS 2015 Acura TLX V6 Tech Pacakge

hey guys,
crrently have a dilemma here. I know I’m in a Lexus forum so answers will be bias for the Gs 350.

Im looking at both cars, and it’s come down to this.

Both cars are 20k, which is my max budget.

1. 2013 Gs Fsport with 61k miles, pretty clean, 2 owners, all service records.

2. 2015 Acura TLX V6 tech with 50k miles, 1 owner. Super clean. All records too.

Test drove both and they feel pretty similar in performance. Both have decent acceleration, not particularly fast... but smooth. The Acura’s interior is nice, but not as nice as the Lexus. And the Acura is still under factory warranty, whereas the Lexus has no warranty and I’m screwed if something happens.

This is is a tough choice. Please give me your honest unbiased opinion if possible

Thanks
Old 05-20-18, 08:20 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

How much longer is the warranty on the Acura? Having a warranty is nice...
Old 05-20-18, 08:23 AM
rtalnique
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I tried comparing the Acura when I was shopping a year ago. It just doesn't match up at all to the GS350. Long term, the GS will be more reliable and it is so much more refined in and out. If you can stretch your budget a little, look for a CPO 2014 GS so you can have the peace of mind with a two year warranty.
Old 05-20-18, 08:40 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think it boils mainly down to personal preference. They both offer pretty much the same acceleration and room, Acura has LED headlights standard and a better audio system unless you get ML, F sport will have cooled seats and more seat adjustment, TLX is a little smoother, F sport handles better.

If you care about fuel economy though the difference will be night and day between the TLX and GS350, my neighbor has a 6 cylinder shawd TLX and consistently gets over 30mpg on trips, he even got over 36mpg on a trip, even day to day driving he gets over 25mpg, that is never going to happen or even come close to happening with a GS350 which gets poor fuel economy for a 6 cylinder.
Old 05-20-18, 08:41 AM
Mikesav6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My budget is 20k max including taxes and title fees.
The acura has 3 years left on power train warranty...

thr gs350 is a decent deal at 20k for 60k miles though
Old 05-20-18, 01:29 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I would opt for the GS simply because I don’t want another nose heavy FWD based car.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
Im2bz2p345 (05-22-18), jonathancl (05-20-18)
Old 05-20-18, 02:05 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I’m my opinion both cars are great. Before moving to Lexus in late 2007 I drove a 2002 TL TypeS and other than the continued transmission issues that plagued most cars in that model year, it was a fun car. And because it’s a Honda in soul, it’s inexpensive to make modifications or repairs (same goes for Lexus).

The Advance package will give you more tech than the GS. But both cars are significantly different rides and handle different. For example, the GS has more body roll than the TLX but the GS acceleration feels way more responsive.

Check out Acurazine.com for all the discussions on the sluggish transmission with the TLX and make sure you’re comfortable knowing that info (wife has a MDX so I still read through that forum often). But, I know several people who have the TLX ranging in years ‘15 thru ‘18 and they’re all happy with their cars. The GS engine and transmission are tried and true, proven to be trouble free for years and years with proper maintenance.

But, you won’t be disappointed with either choice. And if you’re buying a good used car that was well maintained, you wont need to rely on the warranty.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (05-22-18)
Old 05-21-18, 12:16 PM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I get around 25 mpg in mixed city/highway driving in my 2013 GS350 F-Sport, but then I'm light on the throttle.
Old 05-21-18, 01:03 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

No comparison. The TLX interior looks and feels cheaper. Acura has gone downhill in the recent years. They hit their peak with the 6-speed 2008-era TL TypeS.
Old 05-21-18, 01:20 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

To be honest you should be looking at a nice Honda accord/Hyundai or Subaru. You have 20k to spend and you’re looking at cars that cost over 40k new. You probably should rethinking your decision. B/c if anything break on both vehicles without a warranty it’s going to cost you.If I was you I would purchase the GS and save up some money for a rainy day. I will never purchase an Acura again. They lost me as a customer when they didn’t fix their transmission problem.
Old 05-21-18, 01:36 PM
atrac7
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only way i would go with Acura is if you have their SH-AWD. Otherwise, being FWD automatically makes it a no-go in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (05-22-18)
Old 05-21-18, 05:46 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

both cars will drive differently!
GS to me is a lot fun to drive and I've owned a lot of FWD cars in the past.
acura and lexus does not compare...it's apple or oranges!

both cars will be very reliable if maintenance it kept up, even out of warranty.
cost of ownership is a bit higher on the GS but it's a lot more rewarding in my eyes.
I just did a front brake job and it cost $600 in parts whereas the acura may be $400...not that big of a delta!
Old 05-21-18, 09:07 PM
NYLiqPlat
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This one hits close to home. Before you consider the TLX, read these first:

https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...-2-3-a-919230/
https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...lating-930607/

I had a CPO 2015 TLX SH-AWD w/ about ~10K miles on the clock and it was plagued with jerky shifts and constant cabin vibration at highway speeds. After purchasing the car I must have taken it back to the dealer 6+ times. Mind you I live more than an hour away from the stealership so imagine the tolls (constantly going back-and-forth on NYC bridges add up!), time drain, and general frustration levels. The techs tried road force balances, swapping tires with an A-SPEC car, putting on BRAND NEW tires, alignment, etc. NOTHING worked. They of course, unwilling to admit that the car is flawed concluded that this was normal behavior. After 2 months, I gave up, cut my losses and traded it in for a CPO 2013 GS350 Luxury Pkg w/ 22K miles. Took a ~$5K hit ..and I'd gladly burn that $5K again w/out hesitation. The TLX, IMHO, was a grade-A POS (pardon my French). It's insulting to even lump it into the same tier as the GS.

If you really have your heart set on the TLX (I truly hope you do not) then be mindful of these issues. Test drive it on the highway and look for any steering wheel vibration at 70+ MPH. If you have a passenger, make them sit in the back so you can observe if the front passenger seat also violently shakes at highway speeds as mine and many others did this too.

My GS is at 43K miles now and still rides like butter. No issues whatsoever.

I recently picked up a 2018 M3 and although it's in an entirely different class (sport vs luxury), to me, the GS is still the better car in terms of build quality, interior design, and functionality. Most of the features (or lack of) and layout in the BMW make me question if the engineers were high during the building & design process.

My 2c..not biased to the GS at all

Last edited by NYLiqPlat; 05-21-18 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-21-18, 10:21 PM
Greekjim
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2015 TLX V6 AWD with the tech package, the transmissions on those cars are junk. My car was very jerky when it shifted from 2nd gear to third. And of course dealer couldn’t replicate it. If you have your heart set on a TLX look at a 2016 at the minimum.
I have had 2 TLs, a TLX and a Honda Accord but till Honda gets their **** together, I am done with them
Old 05-22-18, 09:05 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Greekjim
I had a 2015 TLX V6 AWD with the tech package, the transmissions on those cars are junk. My car was very jerky when it shifted from 2nd gear to third. And of course dealer couldn’t replicate it. If you have your heart set on a TLX look at a 2016 at the minimum.
I have had 2 TLs, a TLX and a Honda Accord but till Honda gets their **** together, I am done with them
Exactly why I got rid of my 2015 TLX V6 Tech with 50K on it.

The shift from 2nd to 3rd is horribly rough in the TLX. The dealership has tried several times to update firmware and this and that. But I am convinced it is a mechanical issue with that batch of TLXs. We now have a 2015 GS350 FSport. I got the TLX when it was brand new and it still wasn't as nice as this CPO GS we got. Here is my take on both:

TLX
PROS
Cheaper
Def. better MPG (I was steadily getting 36+ mpg on hwy. Haven't seen this number in the GS as of yet) 26-28 combined mpg
Cheaper Tires (as in, they're 18s, and they're all the same size)
Cool looking headlights and very nice output as well

CONS
Somewhat uncomfortable seating position, particularly on extended drives
Touchscreen (personal thing, but i can't stand touchscreen infotainment)
FWD
TRANSMISSION!! (holy crap, the ZF 9-Speed Tranny is the worst) My 2000 GS300 shifts smoother than this piece of junk. 2nd to 3rd is a nice jolt every single time.
Electronic Shift Buttons - I prefer a physical shifter. Battery died and we coudn't get it in to neutral to tow the car. There is no shift release.

Backup cam is not as clear as the GS

GS350 RWD
PROS
It's a GS350!
Interior is quieter than TLX.
Base audio sounds better than Acura ELS system.
Transmission - Butter Smooth
Seats - Much more comfortable after a 4 hour drive from Dallas to Houston
RWD - Handling is noticeably better than the TLX's FWD

CONS
MPG - I average like 19-21 total mpg, 50/50 hwy & city
Tires - 19s & Staggered, costs more and wear quicker.
Insurance - my coverage cost definitely went up for the GS

Quick Reply: Help needed! 2013 GS350 Fsport VS 2015 Acura TLX V6 Tech Pacakge