GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 Gs350 F-Sport feels so slow??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-18, 07:26 PM
Mikesav6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Gs350 F-Sport feels so slow??

Hi all,
i recently test drive a gs350 f sport, and I must say... it felt really slow. I had it in sport plus, and even used the manual shifters. It just felt like such a big boat, and took forever to get to 60mph. I’m currently driving an 09 g37 and it’s a lot quicker than the gs. However, when comparing 0-60 times, both cars are very similar. Why does the gs feel so much slower than the Infiniti? I’m planning on upgrading to the GS soon, but am really disappointed with the performance. However, I love the look of the GS and the interior is amazing! I just wish it had a little more power.. I’m wondering if maybe the current owner isn’t using premium gas?? Could that be the reason for its performance??
Old 05-15-18, 08:06 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Check out the 0-60 and quarter mile times here: https://www.zeroto60times.com/
Old 05-15-18, 09:16 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

The VQ engine the G37 is not as smooth as the engine in the GS. I've owned the 1st/2nd gen G Sedan, and currently have a new Q50 in the family.
The VQ engine feels much faster than the GS. Heck, I think my 1st gen G35 ran 14.5 quarter miles and sounded like it would run 13.5 quarters.
I liked that "raw-ness" of the 1st gen G... Kinda like a Civic, you feel like you are going to go back to the future, but you are still under the speed limit.
The 2nd-gen IS350 is the biggest sleeper of them all (maybe the Camry v6 from ~2 generations ago), quiet as heck when floored and still ran sub-14 quarters...
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (05-16-18)
Old 05-16-18, 03:38 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Kinda like a Civic, you feel like you are going to go back to the future, but you are still under the speed limit.
LOL!!! That is hilariously true.
Old 05-16-18, 04:56 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikesav6
i recently test drive a gs350 f sport, and I must say... it felt really slow.
I had the same feeling, initially, going from my '06 IS350 RWD with an F-Sport cold air intake and into my 2013 GS350 F-Sport (AWD). But that feeling quickly faded once I had a chance to drive the GS like I stole it. That's when I realized the "feeling" I had was mostly because of the much smoother and and stealth-like acceleration of the GS. I won't say the cornering was the same as the IS, but acceleration wise, it was on par.

Side but related note, my brother drove a 1st gen G35 with a short ram intake on it (pretty fun car), and it sounded and looked like it should have been a 10-second car, but my IS always seemed to pull ahead of it (not that I condone racing your siblings).
Old 05-16-18, 05:13 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Low end torque is garbage, that's why it feels slow.
Old 05-16-18, 05:43 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Hi all,
i recently test drive a gs350 f sport, and I must say... it felt really slow. I had it in sport plus, and even used the manual shifters. It just felt like such a big boat, and took forever to get to 60mph. I’m currently driving an 09 g37 and it’s a lot quicker than the gs. However, when comparing 0-60 times, both cars are very similar. Why does the gs feel so much slower than the Infiniti? I’m planning on upgrading to the GS soon, but am really disappointed with the performance. However, I love the look of the GS and the interior is amazing! I just wish it had a little more power.. I’m wondering if maybe the current owner isn’t using premium gas?? Could that be the reason for its performance??
If you like everything about the GS except for its lack of responsiveness, then the easiest thing to try is disconnecting the battery. I noticed that after I did this, the GS felt a lot quicker and through this experience I understand now that the ECU learns driving habits and makes the car most efficient/more responsive based on the predominant driving patterns.

If you're always mashing the gas, the ECU will learn to give you more throttle response - unfortunately for me, I hardly have any open roads and have speed limits of 25MPH everywhere so it quickly became sedate after a few days again.

Otherwise, folks have added intakes and the Apexi throttle controller to help curb that "slow" feeling...the only other thing would be to consider purchasing a GS F with its V8.
Old 05-16-18, 06:30 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

While I do think the lack of low-end torque is a factor here, I don't think it's the sole reason. I think a large part of this sensation is how smoothly the car accelerates and how quiet it is at speed. It masks speed quite well, even at higher speeds, so you never really get the sensation of speed. Drive it at 100+ and you'll see my point.

Highway acceleration/stability and passing power is quite impressive and worth the trade-off for acceleration from a dead stop, IMO.
Old 05-16-18, 07:12 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

The trade off is you get reliability with Toyota/Lexus engines, instead of performance. That has always been the case. It's not a bad thing, just if you want performance, Lexus shouldn't be your first choice. I had this same discussion with a friend of mine. The consensus was, buy German, if you want to blow people off the line.
Old 05-16-18, 09:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Hi all,
I test drove a 2016 and felt the same way. Where did the power go? I thought I was driving the 4cyl version or it was put in some kind of really conservative economy mode but it was a 6 cylinder in power. It was disappointing. The car did not feel like it was making any more then 260 or 270hp, certainly not 310hp. My GS430 just felt so much quicker and more satisfying, easy effortless acceleration, when I got back into my GS430 it was so much more satisfying to drive even though the handling was not as tight. I remember driving a 2nd Gen IS350 and it felt so much quicker, much quicker then my GS even though it lacked the low end torque, even the 3rd Gen GS350 felt quicker then the 4th Gen, from 0-60 numbers it seems to be true the 4th Gen GS350 is not as quick as the 3rd Gen for some reason, some of the margins are pretty big. Some have said they changed the tuning of the transmission/engine for the 2016 to get better fuel economy which sounds plausible and disappointing but I am surprised you said the 2013 felt so slow compared to a Infiniti G as some have said the pre 2016's feel quicker. Either way I think part of the problem with GS sales is buyers are having the same reaction when they take a test drive, the car does not feel very quick and there is no engine to step up to, it was a bad move to get rid of the 8 cylinder option. After test driving the 4th Gen GS I decided to also look for a LS460 as my next car which I don't know if I would have seriously considered before the test drive.
Old 05-16-18, 09:44 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
The trade off is you get reliability with Toyota/Lexus engines, instead of performance. That has always been the case. It's not a bad thing, just if you want performance, Lexus shouldn't be your first choice. I had this same discussion with a friend of mine. The consensus was, buy German, if you want to blow people off the line.
You sir hit the nail right on the head with that statement!
Old 05-16-18, 02:18 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

G37 makes more power, the extra 200cc makes a difference on the "meat" of the torque curve throughout the powerband. First gear ratio also has to do with it, the GS350 has 4.596, the G37 7AT has 4.92, so off the line, the G37 should feel faster. A closer comparison would be the G35 motor, which is still what is presently in the current Maxima.

I happened to be side by side with a brand new Maxima on an empty stretch of road quite recently, and we were neck-and-neck up to 80km/h before the GS started inching away ever so slightly. Considering the GS is heavier than the Maxima, this is pretty much exactly the result I expected.
Old 05-17-18, 06:39 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I use to own a Infiniti G35X and the throttle response for the car is extremely touchy. I daily drive a 13’ GS350 AWD F Sport right now and the throttle response is far more lazy feeling. But the GS will give you explosive acceleration when you floor it and manual shift your self. Not sure why you felt such a vast difference between the two cars. Their power to weight ratio is almost spot on between the two. I wouldn’t call either vehicle fast, they are quick sport sedans, but fast is a stretch unless your previous driving experiences are only limited to a Corolla S etc.
Old 05-17-18, 06:47 AM
Mikesav6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6
I use to own a Infiniti G35X and the throttle response for the car is extremely touchy. I daily drive a 13’ GS350 AWD F Sport right now and the throttle response is far more lazy feeling. But the GS will give you explosive acceleration when you floor it and manual shift your self. Not sure why you felt such a vast difference between the two cars. Their power to weight ratio is almost spot on between the two. I wouldn’t call either vehicle fast, they are quick sport sedans, but fast is a stretch unless your previous driving experiences are only limited to a Corolla S etc.
when you say “floor” do you literally mean stomping the accelerator pedal al the way down to the floor board?? I’ve never done this before. Id feel bad for the car doing that.
Old 05-17-18, 07:35 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

when you say “floor” do you literally mean stomping the accelerator pedal al the way down to the floor board?? I’ve never done this before. Id feel bad for the car doing that.

Yeah I I mean floor it like you stole it. A close friend of mine has a Lotus Evora with a similar variation of the 2GR-FE engine. He whomps on this Motor like crazy during late night high speed cruises with me and it takes the abuse just fine. The 2GR-FE engine is very hardy and has a smart ECU with set layers of of protective metrics that won’t allow you to destroy it.

Quick Reply: 2013 Gs350 F-Sport feels so slow??