GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Worth Repainting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 06:25 AM
spiveyb
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Worth Repainting?

So I'm thinking about repainting my front bumper/hood to fix the normal wear and tear of chip marks, and then having it wrapped for protection. I know this is something I could have done in the beginning to prevent going through this, but procrastination got the best of me. Would it be worth the cost, or are chip marks inevitable regardless of the protection film?
Old 05-14-18, 06:50 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

What color is your car?
Old 05-14-18, 07:01 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by spiveyb
So I'm thinking about repainting my front bumper/hood to fix the normal wear and tear of chip marks, and then having it wrapped for protection. I know this is something I could have done in the beginning to prevent going through this, but procrastination got the best of me. Would it be worth the cost, or are chip marks inevitable regardless of the protection film?
Paint Protection Film makes a HUGE difference. Yes, do it in my honest opinion. I am going to be installing PPF on mine as well.
Old 05-14-18, 07:03 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Ppf will stop 95+ percent of your everyday chips and paint issues Make sure you have another car to drive in the meantime as you cant Ppf until at least 45-60 days after repaint depending on your conditions and chosen body shop to allow the paint to gas out. You'd hate to drive the GS and eat another chip in fresh/pristine paint right before you Ppf.
The following users liked this post:
spiveyb (05-14-18)
Old 05-14-18, 07:04 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

It's hard to get an exact paint match. I'd say leave it.
Old 05-14-18, 07:07 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by er34
It's hard to get an exact paint match. I'd say leave it.
How much is the paint running you? You could probably get a brand new hood and it might be cheaper. $678.

https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...ood-5330130491
Old 05-14-18, 07:16 AM
spiveyb
Driver

Originally Posted by jtrue28
What color is your car?
Nebula Gray
Old 05-14-18, 08:40 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Although, if you buy a new hood and bumper, have them painted separately, you could store them somewhere for 45 days, allowing them time to properly gas out. That way you could still drive your car as is.

That color will be tough to match.
Old 05-14-18, 09:18 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

The other thing to consider is even if the color matches, it’ll age at a different rate than old, so the mismatch will become more evident over time. If you’re luck is as bad as mine, you’d get it repainted in time for someone to back into it in a parking lot
Old 05-14-18, 09:52 AM
jessalynn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have also thought about doing this....mine however is Atomic Silver (and 2015) ...think there's better luck with a paint match? I am replacing the entire front bumper as whoever had it before me didn't know how to park and it is scuffed all to hell, along with my side mirrors... so replace the bumper, repaint the hood and then PPF the entire front end sometime in the next year.
Old 05-14-18, 10:42 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I’ve seen some fantastic matching being performed by some high end shops. The less pigment in the paint, the better the color match. There’s one thing that’s really tough to duplicate exactly and that’s how the metallic flakes may lay within the paint. Any type of static charge will impact how they orient. That can shift color at angles. Flex agent in bumpers impacts color.

All this said, a good shop can get colors very close, but there can’t be any expectations of perfection. It’s never as good as the original, but it can be close enough. Pearl colors are a 3 stage, base, pearl, clear. All aging together, so matching all three in a repair or repaint is even tougher. I still see good shops turn out some nice matches, but how it all plays out over time is anyone’s guess.
Old 05-14-18, 12:26 PM
spiveyb
Driver

It almost seems not worth the hassle, and just charge it to the game. The next Lexus I get I'll be sure to wrap it in the beginning, lessoned learned.

By no means does it look terrible considering it's a 15 and my daily driver, but I always have the sad look when I start washing my car in the front lol. I've tried the touch up paint straight from the dealership, but didn't turn out right.
Old 05-14-18, 12:49 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Watch the video that Larry Kosilla (AMMO NYC) put out on YouTube. He shows how to use a very fine special artist pen to properly do paint touch up. It won't be perfect, but it will definitely look better than using the rabbit's foot brush that comes in the dealership touch up kits.

around the 4 minute mark he gets to repairing the rock chips.

Last edited by jtrue28; 05-14-18 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-14-18, 12:55 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

It almost seems not worth the hassle, and just charge it to the game. The next Lexus I get I'll be sure to wrap it in the beginning, lessoned learned.

By no means does it look terrible considering it's a 15 and my daily driver, but I always have the sad look when I start washing my car in the front lol. I've tried the touch up paint straight from the dealership, but didn't turn out right.
Same. Especially with a white car where the chips show up black (or a black car where the chips show up white)

There's this product called chipfixx that works really well to at least color chips back to your paint color with a pretty close match. Similar to DR. Colorchip Good temporary solution.
Old 05-14-18, 07:08 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I did this about 4 years into my 2006 IS350 after driving 145 miles a day. The shop did a near perfect job matching the color since they painted half way up the hood, front bumper and fenders. Nobody ever knew it had been painted, and at 198k miles and 10 years old it still looked perfect. The clear bra will take a lot of abuse before it starts to show any wear.

That said, it’s expensive if you find a solid body/paint shop, plus the cost of the clear bra. If you’re planning to keep the car a while longer than go for it so that you can enjoy it before selling.

Quick Reply: Worth Repainting?