GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Should I buy a 2015 Lexus GS350 F Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-18, 06:00 AM
Jmoney0021
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a 2015 Lexus GS350 F Sport?

Hey guys, this is my first post in this forum. As the title says, Im looking at potentially purchasing a 2015 Lexus GS 350 F Sport. I have plenty of savings and a good job, so money isn't a huge issue, but I am just out of college, so I'm not looking to put myself in a bad situation.

Right now, I'm between a used 2015 Lexus GS 350 F sport with 41k miles (listed at 29k right now), a 2018 Honda Accord 2.0T, and maybe a used accord.

I've done a lot of research and test driven both cars, so I'm familiar with most differences in the cars (Lexus is more luxurious and nicer overall, but the new accord is also really nice with updated tech and a quick 2.0T).

A brand new accord will cost me probably 5k more up front than the Lexus, but I'm somewhat worried about maintenance/repairs on the Lexus. I know it should be very reliable, but from what I've read, repairs can be very expensive if something does go wrong. I've read that people don't get too many miles on their tires (265 rear 235 front) and I've seen some things mentioned about f sport breaks going our quicker.

​​​​​​I know this is a Lexus forum so I'm sure the Lexus will be most recommend, but are there any big maintenance/upkeep/repair issues I should be aware of with this Lexus? I just dont want to get myself into a situation where I have to spend tons of money on upkeep. I know with the accord (especially since it will have the warranty from the factory) won't have much maintenance cost especially the first few years.
Old 05-11-18, 06:58 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd say go for a '16 gs350 just for the updated grill, but that's just my opinion. If you decide on an '18 Accord try going for a used one, so you won't be taking such a huge depreciation hit on a new car.

I haven't test driven the Accord, but you'll definitely get more safety features and tech on the Accord, plus you won't have to deal with the cumbersome Lexus infotainment and mouse/cursor system.. It's all preference in the end since you'll be driving it everyday.
Old 05-11-18, 07:10 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Every time I buy a new car it seems I'm debating a bit older Lexus against a bit newer fill in the blank! None of my Lexus cars have cost me more to own than anyone I know with Toyotas, Hondas, but a ton less than other brands. I just keep going back to Lexus, because of 1. Comfort, 2. I can find it in the parking lot way faster, since there isn't an identical one sitting next to it. Could have been a debatable decision with our RX, but it's burgundy and not a ton of those around here.

The Lexus infotainment system can be a bit annoying, but not sure Honda/Acura are any less annoying. They have touch screen but burry all controls including climate on some models, so you can't do a thing without searching through stuff. You'll have to get out and drive them and see which fits your lifestyle/driving habits best. Both will go the distance, so no need for concern there.
Old 05-11-18, 07:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Not being a fan of the Accord or the 2.0t, I would go GS, though both cars definitely have their merits.

I've had my 2015 GS350 F Sport for about 2.5 years now. I'm still on my original tires and brakes. I've spent about $100 on maintenance over that time (an oil change).
Old 05-11-18, 07:57 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Another thing to consider may be how soon you may plan to move to a different car. The 2015/2016 GS is still taking a sharp depreciation for 2 to 3 more years, after which it depreciates slows to $1500 average annually. A three year old Accord is already at the same somewhat stable level. Also way easier to sell a 10 year old Accord than a Lexus.l, though CarMax still pays fair market trade for a high mileage older Lexus, but won’t do the same for other luxury brands. Just some additional thoughts.
Old 05-11-18, 08:06 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Get the Lexus. You are young. Go easy on drinking and going out.

If you want to go out drinking and eat out all the time, get the used Accord, the last-gen models look good anyways.

The new Accords are hideous anyways..
Old 05-11-18, 08:41 AM
Jmoney0021
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I've test driven both but I'm gonna go out and test drive some more. Definitely gonna be a tough decision. Regarding the tires - anyone have good recommendations? Curious how much it's going to cost to replace and how long they'll last
Old 05-11-18, 08:50 AM
UNC1334
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmoney0021
Thanks for the input guys. I've test driven both but I'm gonna go out and test drive some more. Definitely gonna be a tough decision. Regarding the tires - anyone have good recommendations? Curious how much it's going to cost to replace and how long they'll last
You're looking at $800-1000 since they are staggered and will wear faster. Mine lasted about 35k, but all depends on your driving habits.

If your main concern is cost of maintenance and tires, you should look elsewhere.

If you do decide to go Lexus, get a CPO GS 350 and your only expenses will be brakes and tires/oil changes.

Lots of 2016 will be coming of lease the nest 6 months, so maybe wait a little bit.
Old 05-11-18, 10:35 AM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Get the Lexus, it's bullet proof. Also, if you want a good deal, see the Lexus classifieds (Ha Ha, see mine).
Thanks,
anbark22
Old 05-11-18, 12:50 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Hah...upkeep issues.

Buy the Lexus. You'll understand.

I drove my 2001 GS430 from 2004 to 2017, put 160k miles on it.
I had no unexpected mechanical failures, and it never let me down, not once.
Most expensive work was timing belt and water pump for $1000.
Only things I replaced were rotors, pads, lower ball joints, batteries, filters, oil.
If my neighbor hadn't dented the fender, I'd probably still be driving it.

I bought a 2013 GS350 w 72k on it last year because I know the mileage and age doesn't matter as long as the oil's been changed.

As for Honda...our MDX just isn't as well designed as the Lexus, and while the parts are generally less, they're not as high quality.
Take the rotors: my Lexus rotors were on the car for eight years and looked great.
After only three, the MDX rotors look like hell at the edges, flaking out and rubbing the heat shields.

Lexus/Toyota does fit, finish, design, and manufacturing better then Honda, always has.

Last edited by jonathancl; 05-17-18 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-11-18, 01:29 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My personal experience with Hondas is that they are not as reliable long term as Toyotas. The Honda brakes, transmissions, pumps seem to fail much more frequently than the same components on Toyota products.
Old 05-11-18, 03:50 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Get the Lexus, the accord is boring imo, and I"m not a fan of the styling after being behind one at a light today.
Old 05-11-18, 07:28 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I happen to love the look of the new accord, but I have to agree with others that the wuality is nowhere near Lexus standards.

We just bought a Odyssey Elite (top of the line) and the fit and finish cant touch the GS.
Old 05-12-18, 09:15 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

With any used vehicle, you are taking a risk as you do not know how the owner(s) treated the vehicle even if all service records are available and there is no accident history. What if the owner drove his vehicle to test its 0-60 mph time at every opportunity he got? What if he did some mod (e.g. suspension) that deteriorated the longevity of certain parts of the vehicle and then reversed the mod just before selling? A new car always costs more but you know what you are getting is what came from the factory -- nobody messed with it.

Since you "have plenty of savings and a good job, so money isn't a huge issue", why don't you buy a new 2018 GS350? It starts at low $50k and you can easily get 10% off after incentives/haggling. The 2018 GS300 is another option if you are okay with the 4 cyl turbo on the GS. It starts below $47k.
Old 05-13-18, 06:56 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
With any used vehicle, you are taking a risk as you do not know how the owner(s) treated the vehicle even if all service records are available and there is no accident history. What if the owner drove his vehicle to test its 0-60 mph time at every opportunity he got? What if he did some mod (e.g. suspension) that deteriorated the longevity of certain parts of the vehicle and then reversed the mod just before selling? A new car always costs more but you know what you are getting is what came from the factory -- nobody messed with it.

Since you "have plenty of savings and a good job, so money isn't a huge issue", why don't you buy a new 2018 GS350? It starts at low $50k and you can easily get 10% off after incentives/haggling. The 2018 GS300 is another option if you are okay with the 4 cyl turbo on the GS. It starts below $47k.
If money is no hardship, buy new. If you only keep it a few years and trade in, buy new. If you are incapable or unwilling to do any sort of maintenance or due diligence on a purchase, buy new. People like me depend on people that buy new to get our second hand jewels for 1/2 price. It leaves a lot of money free to do other things.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 2015 Lexus GS350 F Sport?