GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Favorite and least favorite thing about your GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 11:43 PM
Deadserial
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Favorite and least favorite thing about your GS?

I’ve posted a few things here, but thought I’d add something like this for fun! So what is your favorite, and what is your least favorite thing about your 13+ GS? I’ve had my 2014 fsport RWD for about a month so I’m still kind of feeling it out. I had an is300, then 2008 is250, then some other cars, and my last 4 vehicles have been jeeps (grand cherokees and wrangler)

My favorite thing i would say, is the Aggressive front end styling (exterior) and giant navigation screen (interior). My least favorite thing is the exhaust openings in the rear (exterior) and the infotainment mouse setup (interior).
Old 05-11-18, 03:42 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadserial
I’ve posted a few things here, but thought I’d add something like this for fun! So what is your favorite, and what is your least favorite thing about your 13+ GS? I’ve had my 2014 fsport RWD for about a month so I’m still kind of feeling it out. I had an is300, then 2008 is250, then some other cars, and my last 4 vehicles have been jeeps (grand cherokees and wrangler)

My favorite thing i would say, is the Aggressive front end styling (exterior) and giant navigation screen (interior). My least favorite thing is the exhaust openings in the rear (exterior) and the infotainment mouse setup (interior).
You can easily fix the exhaust openings if you don't like it. You just need to buy a different style diffuser.
Old 05-11-18, 04:42 AM
arafas
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

18 gs350 f-sport, amazing car. Least favorite thing is chrome window trims on the white car. I also thinking to black out all the other chrome pars on the front and rear bumper.
Old 05-11-18, 04:53 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

friend of mine got a 2018 gs f sport

i have been trying to buy a gs for 4 years every time i drive one i leave dissapointed
seating postion
comfort of interior
little harsh ride quality
nav interface

i have a couple of lexus vehicles and a bmw 535 much prefer my 5 series
i know the reliability is a reason in itself for the lexus i have a cpo warranty till 100k

i do like the v6 above 4k rpm off the line the 5 series is peppier and brilliant but the lexus does tach out nice in the rev range for a v6 especially
since the v6 is generations old still a nice motor

they made the right choice benching the gs time is right
also the handling in this car ba---- out is a blast handles very well
car is not for me
Old 05-11-18, 06:57 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Favorite:

Luxury turning headlights.
Every car should have them by regulation: they make night driving on twisty roads that much safer, better to illuminate where the car is going versus the direction the car is facing.

Least favorite:

No button to return the climate control to single zone.
Even if tapping auto a second time or even three times would do it, that would be acceptable, but you must use the climate control screen to do it, and it take a bunch of time.
Old 05-11-18, 07:35 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

On our 2015 GS:

Favorite
Lexus Dynamic Handling with Rear Wheel Steering option. Every turn whether it's quick or slow, sharp or slight is quite a surprise. Makes even parking lot scenarios a little more interesting. A car this size shouldn't be this maneuverable. The GS without rear wheel steering is shockingly agile and maneuverable but the addition of the rear wheel steering takes it up another notch. Very fun/cool although does remove a bit of the luxurious characteristics of the ride/drive that I like in our 2018 GS without rear wheel steering. Windy roads are eye-opening because you're able to just maintain a constant speed the entire time instead of the typical speed up on straights, slow for turns behavior typically required.

Least favorite
Engine whine at low speed/RPM in normal driving scenarios. It's a bit too loud and unrefined under normal driving situations and at idle. This has been improved upon on our 2018. Much quieter and much more refined, although not sure if this is a result of the switch to the FKS V6 motor.

On our 2018 GS:

Favorite
Overall refinement seems significantly improved over our 2015. A lot more of those "wow, this is nice" moments under a variety of situations. Not quite so in our 2015. They feel like very different cars, the 2015 being the much sportier one of the two.

Least favorite
Struggled for a bit to come up with a least favorite. There's not much I don't like about it other than missing options I wish I had been able to get, but I'm trying to think of something I dislike about it that it actually has versus something that I wish I had gotten. I wish the drive modes were a little bit more straight-forward and a little more variable. A comfort mode that used the steering and suspension settings from Eco but the drivetrain response of the normal mode would make for the ideal highway floaty cruiser, IMO. Eco mode achieves this but makes it too difficult to keep up with traffic at times at freeway speeds.

Old 05-11-18, 08:18 AM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Least favorite: the infotainment system which is clunky and out of date.

Favorite: the rest of the car.
Old 05-11-18, 08:23 AM
Deadserial
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
You can easily fix the exhaust openings if you don't like it. You just need to buy a different style diffuser.
mans get your exhaust tips extended and new ones welded on. I wouldn’t necesssarily call it easy but it is doable haha.

I checked out 5 series before this but I’m always worried about that bmw reliability. I know it’s supposed to be better, but Imthis is my first used car in several years so I wanted something more reliable.
Old 05-11-18, 08:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Mine is a 2015 GS350 AWD F Sport, Atomic Silver on Black. I've had it 2.5 years and am at 17k miles.

Favorites:

Interior Comfort
Exterior Style
Handling
Large Nav Display

Dislikes:

Too much wheel gap.
Old 05-11-18, 08:25 AM
vclifford
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
friend of mine got a 2018 gs f sport
i have a couple of lexus vehicles and a bmw 535 much prefer my 5 series
i know the reliability is a reason in itself for the lexus i have a cpo warranty till 100k
i do like the v6 above 4k rpm off the line the 5 series is peppier and brilliant but the lexus does tach out nice in the rev range for a v6 especially
since the v6 is generations old still a nice motor
they made the right choice benching the gs time is right
also the handling in this car ba---- out is a blast handles very well
car is not for me
I have BMW 530 and was searching for 535, drove couple of them and surprisingly thought that 530 was not far away. Any way I bought 2017 F sport due to couple of reasons

1. F sport Suspension is already tuned, BMW has removed sport suspension which used to have upgraded springs and matching shocks . I was avid member of bimmerfest and there people are still putting aftermarket sway bars on these 2015-16 535s . I do not like 19" rims and low profile tires in F Sport. Now I know all the pot holes in the town. I may some day buy 17 or 18" rims

2. GS engine is old technology and still produces 311 bhp. BMWs twin turbo produces 300bhp, although 2017 produces 330 but turbos need lot of maintenance, they likely will need to be replaced at 100k mark, Turbos also mean other high pressure components like intercoolers, air hoses, oil hoses etc and super high temperature in engine bay which deteriorates every thing. Moreover BMW engines leak oil from various places and their PCV system is crap. My only gripe with GS350 is tappet or cylinder slap like noise at idle. I hope I will get used to it.
BMW engine is silky smooth though,

3. Better sound system, one can actually hear the words being sung. I did not check upgraded sound system in BMW
Old 05-11-18, 08:39 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by vclifford
I have BMW 530 and was searching for 535, drove couple of them and surprisingly thought that 530 was not far away. Any way I bought 2017 F sport due to couple of reasons

1. F sport Suspension is already tuned, BMW has removed sport suspension which used to have upgraded springs and matching shocks . I was avid member of bimmerfest and there people are still putting aftermarket sway bars on these 2015-16 535s . I do not like 19" rims and low profile tires in F Sport. Now I know all the pot holes in the town. I may some day buy 17 or 18" rims

2. GS engine is old technology and still produces 311 bhp. BMWs twin turbo produces 300bhp, although 2017 produces 330 but turbos need lot of maintenance, they likely will need to be replaced at 100k mark, Turbos also mean other high pressure components like intercoolers, air hoses, oil hoses etc and super high temperature in engine bay which deteriorates every thing. Moreover BMW engines leak oil from various places and their PCV system is crap. My only gripe with GS350 is tappet or cylinder slap like noise at idle. I hope I will get used to it.
BMW engine is silky smooth though,

3. Better sound system, one can actually hear the words being sung. I did not check upgraded sound system in BMW
I looked at the 535/550i when switching to the GS but the maintenance wasn't worth the hassle for me.
Favorite: Probably the interior, and the sound of the engine on acceleration.
Least favorite: Probably the wheel gap I have right now on AWD, but I can fix any things I don't care for on it.
Old 05-12-18, 06:24 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Love most everything about my 18 F-Sport other than the narrow armrests on the doors.
Old 05-12-18, 06:40 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

No complaints. Everything is a pro for me....I suppose I could complain about the pain it is to match a staggered set of tires for a decent price.

Performance, luxury, amenities, looks...all good to me.
Old 05-12-18, 12:09 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

2013 GS450h

​​​​​​Favorite parts are the smooth quiet operation of the instant torque hybrid engine as well as the really tight turning radius.

What I don't like? The lack of Android Auto and the lack of a rear seat tunnel (I know that even the regular GS doesn't have fold down seats)
Old 05-12-18, 01:06 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

My list of dislikes are super short and why I bought the GS over others. Just the narrow door arm rests and somewhat unpredictable way the mouse bounces around the infotainment, if your not 100% accurate.

Quick Reply: Favorite and least favorite thing about your GS?