Climate Control defaults to recirculate when A/C is on

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-18, 09:44 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Climate Control defaults to recirculate when A/C is on

'17 GS 350 AWD non-F sport

Whenever I turn on A/C, the climate control system automatically defaults to recirculate mode and it doesn't seem to ever switch back to outside air. I had a 40+ minute commute yesterday due to traffic and the climate control system stayed in recirculate mode the whole time while A/C is on. I do not use full auto on the climate control system because I like to adjust the fan speed myself. I do however leave it on "auto" on the recirculate/outside air button.

Was wondering if this is normal operating on the GS. Also, is there a programmable way to not have the system default to recirculate when I turn on the A/C?

Last edited by Flanker271; 05-09-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-09-18, 09:51 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

Also to follow-up, what is the most efficient way to operate the climate control system during the summer? If I leave it on full auto and let the car figure out the adjustments, it'll run the A/C compressor at all times even when the outside air is cooler than the interior and when the humidity is low, which doesn't seem like the most efficient way to run the climate control.

Here in the Midwest at this time of the year, the temperature delta can fluctuate as high as 30+ degrees between morning and daytime. It's 55F at 7am and now 89F at noon here in Cincinnati.

Last edited by Flanker271; 05-09-18 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-09-18, 10:01 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Running the AC in recirculate mode was someones idea of a genius plan to save gas a few years back and most makers follow the annoying standard. I usually just leave mine in full auto year round. The one nice thing about the GS is most climate control settings are up front and not buried. That makes it way easier to change settings on the fly. Too much of a pain to do the same on my RX.
Old 05-09-18, 10:05 AM
jessalynn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

'15 F-sport

I leave mine on full auto, keep s-flow active, and leave the seat controls on auto as most of the time I am driving by myself. 45+ min commute and here in TN the mornings are still ~55 while it's been 80+ when I head home. I haven't paid attention to whether/when it switches to fresh or recirculate...it just does it's thing and I am rarely uncomfortable....my only complaint is it doesn't seem to ever direct air to the floor vents on it's own and my feet get a little extra warm when driving.
Old 05-09-18, 10:05 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

Originally Posted by rj4510
Running the AC in recirculate mode was someones idea of a genius plan to save gas a few years back and most makers follow the annoying standard. I usually just leave mine in full auto year round. The one nice thing about the GS is most climate control settings are up front and not buried. That makes it way easier to change settings on the fly. Too much of a pain to do the same on my RX.
If you leave it on full auto, does it switch back and fourth between recirculate and outside air?
Old 05-09-18, 10:08 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

Originally Posted by jessalynn
'15 F-sport

I leave mine on full auto, keep s-flow active, and leave the seat controls on auto as most of the time I am driving by myself. 45+ min commute and here in TN the mornings are still ~55 while it's been 80+ when I head home. I haven't paid attention to whether/when it switches to fresh or recirculate...it just does it's thing and I am rarely uncomfortable....my only complaint is it doesn't seem to ever direct air to the floor vents on it's own and my feet get a little extra warm when driving.
Maybe I'll just leave it on full auto for an entire month and see what happens.
Old 05-09-18, 10:08 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flanker271
If you leave it on full auto, does it switch back and fourth between recirculate and outside air?
On my older Lexus yes, but neither of the new ones do it all that willingly. it was a legislative change, so functionality was changed. Takes way longer for them to ever switch to fresh.
Old 05-09-18, 10:55 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

too many cars shooting out thick/stinky exhaust gases for me to keep it in fresh air mode..
The following users liked this post:
RoadComic (01-31-22)
Old 05-09-18, 11:31 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

My 2013 in auto switches back and forth in response to cabin humidity: if it gets too humid it flips to recirc until it falls, and the switches back to fresh.
I also have the smog sensor on its highest setting, so smelly air also triggers recirc.

I find it works amazingly well.
Old 05-09-18, 11:33 AM
MikeLucky
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on what an HVAC guy told me, the recirculate should ALWAYS be on when the AC is on in the car. He described that the newer AC systems were designed to take in the recirculated and dehydrated air and further cool it each pass to increase the effectiveness of the AC system.

Only time mine isn't on is when the defroster is being used, which I believe default it to turn off anyway.
Old 05-09-18, 11:34 AM
jessalynn
Rookie

Originally Posted by jonathancl
My 2013 in auto switches back and forth in response to cabin humidity: if it gets too humid it flips to recirc until it falls, and the switches back to fresh.
I also have the smog sensor on its highest setting, so smelly air also triggers recirc.

I find it works amazingly well.
How do you adjust the smog sensor? I am able to manually turn mine on, but haven't found the settings to automate it?
Old 05-09-18, 11:47 AM
jessalynn
Rookie

'17 GS 350 AWD non-F sport

Whenever I turn on A/C, the climate control system automatically defaults to recirculate mode and it doesn't seem to ever switch back to outside air. I had a 40+ minute commute yesterday due to traffic and the climate control system stayed in recirculate mode the whole time while A/C is on. I do not use full auto on the climate control system because I like to adjust the fan speed myself. I do however leave it on "auto" on the recirculate/outside air button.

Was wondering if this is normal operating on the GS. Also, is there a programmable way to not have the system default to recirculate when I turn on the A/C?
from the Manual:

■Outside/recirculated air mode
●When driving on dusty roads such as tunnels or in heavy traffic, set the outside/ recirculated air mode button to the recirculated air mode. This is effective in preventing outside air from entering the vehicle interior. During cooling operation, setting the recirculated air mode will also cool the vehicle interior effectively.
●Outside/recirculated air mode may automatically switch depending on the temperature setting or the inside temperature.

■When the outside temperature exceeds 75°F (24°C) and the air conditioning system is on
●In order to reduce the air conditioning power consumption, the air conditioning system may switch to recirculated air mode automatically. This may also reduce fuel consumption.
●Recirculated air mode is selected as a default mode when the engine switch is turned on.
●It is possible to switch to outside air mode at any time by pressing .

■Automatic mode for air intake control
In automatic mode, the system detects exhaust gas and other pollutants and automatically switches between outside air and recirculated air modes.
When the dehumidification function is off, and the fan is operating, turning automatic mode on will activate the dehumidification function.
Old 05-09-18, 11:51 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by jessalynn
How do you adjust the smog sensor? I am able to manually turn mine on, but haven't found the settings to automate it?
Climate Control defaults to recirculate when A/C is on-8jfusgs.png
Old 05-09-18, 12:16 PM
jessalynn
Rookie

Originally Posted by jonathancl
haha, thanks. I went out and played around in the car and wound up finding it. Sooooo many things to tweak sometimes I feel like I will never find them all.
Old 05-09-18, 01:06 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Huh! I hadn’t played with these settings figuring it wasn’t switching back and forth anyway. Good to know. May have to try the higher sensitivity setting.

Quick Reply: Climate Control defaults to recirculate when A/C is on