GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 08:07 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Lightbulb Advice needed!

In need of some help/advice. I am on the hunt for a '14 or '15 (I want the 8-speed) white GS350 fsport with the cabernet interior. Now, I am obviously being picky in the used car market which takes patience. However, I have found one that is in great shape and is local (phx) BUT the car fax shows it was rear-ended but airbags did not deploy. Now, I typically would move on as soon as I saw that but the car looks brand new and drives like every other GS I have driven. So, long story short I am curious what everyone else thinks about buying a used GS350 with something other than a spotless car fax. Thank you in advance for any thoughts/opinions!
Old 05-03-18, 08:27 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptRog21
In need of some help/advice. I am on the hunt for a '14 or '15 (I want the 8-speed) white GS350 fsport with the cabernet interior. Now, I am obviously being picky in the used car market which takes patience. However, I have found one that is in great shape and is local (phx) BUT the car fax shows it was rear-ended but airbags did not deploy. Now, I typically would move on as soon as I saw that but the car looks brand new and drives like every other GS I have driven. So, long story short I am curious what everyone else thinks about buying a used GS350 with something other than a spotless car fax. Thank you in advance for any thoughts/opinions!
Look it over, top and bottom. I had them put mine on a lift so I could look underneath when the Carfax said structural damage. I could tell the bumper and door were repainted but there was no structural damage, repaired or not so I bought it.

I would check inside the trunk, check the spare tire well, pull back the lining in the truck. Check the tires for abnormal wear. If they just replaced the bumper skin or trunk lid, I wouldn't be scared off. Use anything you find as leverage in negotiations.
The following users liked this post:
CaptRog21 (05-03-18)
Old 05-04-18, 11:15 AM
Deadserial
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly what they said, check the trunk and make sure there’s no signs of moisture anywhere. Rear ended vehicles are notorious for leaking afterwards even if they appear alright visually.
Old 05-04-18, 12:27 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Thought I was the only one on the forum who couldn't find a GS in Phoenix without CarFax accident reports! I finally found one thankfully and in the year and color I never knew I loved! Was looking for 14 or 15 silver or white and found a blue 13...perfect! LOL! Thought I wanted the 8-speed, but liking the 6-speed even more. I have nothing to add to what has been said above. I was all over the cars I was looking at. Above, below, checking for water leaks, gaps in the bumpers, feel of doors, absolutely everything.

Last edited by rj4510; 05-04-18 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 01:32 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
Thought I was the only one on the forum who couldn't find a GS in Phoenix without CarFax accident reports! I finally found one thankfully and in the year and color I never knew I loved! Was looking for 14 or 15 silver or white and found a blue 13...perfect! LOL! Thought I wanted the 8-speed, but liking the 6-speed even more. I have nothing to add to what has been said above. I was all over the cars I was looking at. Above, below, checking for water leaks, gaps in the bumpers, feel of doors, absolutely everything.
Please go to Lexus Classifieds and look at my 2015 F-Sport for sale and see how the price and features stack up.
Thank you,
anbark22
Old 05-04-18, 01:46 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by anbark22
Please go to Lexus Classifieds and look at my 2015 F-Sport for sale and see how the price and features stack up.
Thank you,
anbark22
Off topic, but nice car. Your new price seems spot on from a Phoenix, AZ perspective. FL has way more inventory than we do, so you could run a check against CarGurus and see what is being listed as a good price for the area.
Old 05-06-18, 11:51 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Liking the 6 speed more? Really? Why is that? Seems like I can find a '13 much easier than a '14 or '15.
Old 05-06-18, 11:53 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Thanks for the advice. Went and checked out the car and literally did everything you said. It checked out for the most part but they just put brand new tires on it and a few other things just didn't quite stack up so I passed. Hoping something will pop up sooner or later.
Old 05-07-18, 12:13 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I would pass specially there are soo many cars in the market, unless you can negotiate on the price. I keep my cars 1-2 years max so for me it'll be a hassle to resell.
Old 05-07-18, 03:57 AM
Willcbooth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was sitting in a driveway and a family member barely bumped into the rear bumper...cost over $6k to repair. On the outside, it looked like the bumper cover needed to be replaced and that’s about all. Once they got in and got a closer look, they had to go in and cut out and replace the quarter panel. There is also a computer module behind rear bumper on the driver side that controls the back up cross traffic sensors that has to be reset and sometimes replaced. So while my airbags were not deployed, a minor fender bender caused a hell of a lot of damage....
Old 05-07-18, 05:00 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Liking the 6 speed more? Really? Why is that? Seems like I can find a '13 much easier than a '14 or '15.
Every gear change costs performance and I can't imagine an 8 speed is lighter than a 6 speed. More gears are required for weaker motors that need to stay in a peak torque range to produce power. This is the reason for the rise of the CVT transmission small cars. Our cars have engines that have a flat torque curve. I can't see there being a huge difference between them other than a check box.
Old 05-07-18, 05:39 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

8 speed wasn't available until 2015 or 2016 (can't remember). AWD still only has 6 speed. I would stay away from any car that has been wrecked. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Old 05-07-18, 07:05 AM
rj4510
Instructor

i read professional reviews mocking the 6 speed for being yesteryear technology, so figured the 8 was the one to have. I drove 14s and 15s ant they were nice, but every single one had accidents reported and still issues the dealer hadn’t addresses. They were not budging on price, but would negatiate with the fixes, etc. I saw this as a shell game. Why not just have it right to begin with before you sell? Anyway, I found my first decently equipped non wrecked GS, but it was a 13. I was pret set on not wanting the 6 speed till I drove it. The first thing I noticed is how much more sure it was with shifting point. Then I stomped it! I instantly knew the professional reviewers were all smoking something. The 6 is just there right where it needs to be every time without hesitation. I didn’t think twice after that signing on a 13, but thought on paper or if I decide to sell, I may regret the decision. I got over that pretty quick, especially after reading more here.

Last edited by rj4510; 05-07-18 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-07-18, 08:01 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

i read professional reviews mocking the 6 speed for being yesteryear technology, so figured the 8 was the one to have. I drove 14s and 15s ant they were nice, but every single one had accidents reported and still issues the dealer hadn’t addresses. They were not budging on price, but would negatiate with the fixes, etc. I saw this as a shell game. Why not just have it right to begin with before you sell? Anyway, I found my first decently equipped non wrecked GS, but it was a 13. I was pret set on not wanting the 6 speed till I drove it. The first thing I noticed is how much more sure it was with shifting point. Then I stomped it! I instantly knew the professional reviewers were all smoking something. The 6 is just there right where it needs to be every time without hesitation. I didn’t think twice after that signing on a 13, but thought on paper or if I decide to sell, I may regret the decision. I got over that pretty quick, especially after reading more here.
We have just the opposite situation here in Florida. There are HUGE inventories of GS 350s here. Hence, my inability (possibly) to sell my really nice car. Anyway, back to your point, I totally agree with you on the 6 speed (and disagree with the "professional" reviewers). My wife has a 2010 GS 350 with 6 speed versus my 2015 F-Sport with 8 speed transmission. I think the engines are very similar, except the '15 has direct port injection in addition. I've driven the cars back to back many times, and her 2010 will smoke my 2015. That 6 speed does not shift as often and seems to put you in the perfect gear at all times. The 2015 shifts more often and seems to hunt for the right gear. The 2010 shifts less so there is less time wasted in acceleration. I hope this makes sense and I'm explaining it correctly.
Anyway, congratulations on your 2013 purchase and I think you made the right choice.
Cheers,
Old 05-07-18, 08:43 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by anbark22
We have just the opposite situation here in Florida. There are HUGE inventories of GS 350s here. Hence, my inability (possibly) to sell my really nice car. Anyway, back to your point, I totally agree with you on the 6 speed (and disagree with the "professional" reviewers). My wife has a 2010 GS 350 with 6 speed versus my 2015 F-Sport with 8 speed transmission. I think the engines are very similar, except the '15 has direct port injection in addition. I've driven the cars back to back many times, and her 2010 will smoke my 2015. That 6 speed does not shift as often and seems to put you in the perfect gear at all times. The 2015 shifts more often and seems to hunt for the right gear. The 2010 shifts less so there is less time wasted in acceleration. I hope this makes sense and I'm explaining it correctly.
Anyway, congratulations on your 2013 purchase and I think you made the right choice.
Cheers,
The less often you shift and can stay in your power band, the faster you will be. Drag racers love the old two speed powerglide because it is light, can be built strong and only shifts once. if you've ever raced much, stick or automatic, you will know that shifting loses ground. You can be evenly matched, just a fender ahead but shift gears and you lose that advantage. Hopefully, the other person has to shift soon and you can regain the lead.