2015 GS 350 battery low, stuck in garage

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 10:06 AM
dunjinelf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2015 GS 350 battery low, stuck in garage

Hi all,

I'm a new and happy owner of a GS (finally). Last night I was sitting in the car w/ accessories on and I accidentally drained my battery. I won't be able to have someone jump start me till later, but unfortunately the car wont shut down? Every time I press the START button the lights flash and the engine starts to turn possibly. But it never powers all the way off. Image attached.

Any suggestions? Should I just leave the car in this state until cables arrive?

Cheers

check engine and BSM lights flashing. screen is also off, though last night it was working despite the same dead battery.
Old 05-03-18, 10:28 AM
dunjinelf
Driver School Candidate

I have cables now, but how can I turn the car off before jump starting it? Shouldn't both cars be powered all the way off?
Old 05-03-18, 10:53 AM
markpr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the shift lever in Park ? If not then it may not poweroff completely. In any case, I would have no problem putting the jumper cables on both cars with them powered on if no other choice.
The following users liked this post:
dunjinelf (05-03-18)
Old 05-03-18, 11:45 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Make sure your foot is off the brakes when you hit the start button. Or pump it a few times just to make sure it is not stuck.
The following 2 users liked this post by praetor:
2k4CamkilA (12-10-22), dunjinelf (05-03-18)
Old 05-03-18, 03:16 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by dunjinelf
I have cables now, but how can I turn the car off before jump starting it? Shouldn't both cars be powered all the way off?
Always keep the other car running(and ideally someone holding the revs at 2000rpm) while you jump start.
dunjinelf (05-03-18)
Old 05-03-18, 04:38 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I highly recommend buying a portable battery jump pack and keeping it in the trunk. I’ve had my car not be able to start in the garage a few times, and it’s so easy with the pack not having to use a car.
dunjinelf (05-03-18)
Old 05-03-18, 10:33 PM
dunjinelf
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be looking into a portable pack asap, wonderful idea. Issue is probably the battery. After the jump start, I drove 15 minutes and parked again. Several hours later the car starts to click and only only the lights and screen show up. I am going to call CarMarx and ask them to replace it/diagnose as its still under the warranty. I was pretty upset not being able to drive it the last 24 hours that I almost didn't leave the house for the milkshake I wanted lol.
Old 05-04-18, 06:42 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In your photo the RPM gauge indicates the engine is off. Only the lights and indicators are still on. When you press the Start Button the car tries to start but can't due to the low battery. Jumping the battery should allow you to turn everything off or to restart the car. Then drive down to your Lexus dealer and have them put a new battery in it. They will check the charging and electrical system with the installation and your problems will be over for the next 5 years or so.
dunjinelf (05-04-18)
Old 05-04-18, 09:34 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

I'm a new and happy owner of a GS (finally). Last night I was sitting in the car w/ accessories on and I accidentally drained my battery.
I did exactly the same thing when I bought mine. I wasn't even playing that long, was surprised it had drained the battery.
It was the original factory battery, and the water levels were low. Since refilling, I haven't had any surprise battery drainings.
Old 05-04-18, 10:09 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

The accessory mode automatically turns Off after about 20 minutes to save the battery from depleting too much power.
Old 05-04-18, 01:03 PM
dunjinelf
Driver School Candidate

I should've checked water levels but I was so annoyed this morning I went ahead and bought a new Interstate battery. The handle pokes from the top, and I fear the bracket may not close all the way. There is one other bigger issue...

The POSITIVE terminal for the new battery is attached, but as soon as I went to tag the NEGATIVE, I saw a few sparks the car alarm went off. Doors are locked now and I am trying to find my more intense protective gloves. Was that just a discharge? Anyways, going to try again.
Old 05-04-18, 01:10 PM
dunjinelf
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by rjm
In your photo the RPM gauge indicates the engine is off. Only the lights and indicators are still on. When you press the Start Button the car tries to start but can't due to the low battery. Jumping the battery should allow you to turn everything off or to restart the car. Then drive down to your Lexus dealer and have them put a new battery in it. They will check the charging and electrical system with the installation and your problems will be over for the next 5 years or so.
Do you think it was a mistake to change the battery myself? I didn't want to take it to the Lexus dealership while it's still under the measly 30 day CarMax warranty. I bought the battery today since CarMax couldn't see my car till mid may lol.
Old 05-04-18, 01:48 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I should've checked water levels but I was so annoyed this morning I went ahead and bought a new Interstate battery. The handle pokes from the top, and I fear the bracket may not close all the way. There is one other bigger issue...
Probably should have taken it to Lexus and let them do it. A bad fit in the brackets for a non-OEM battery is fairly common and will require some modification as experienced by others on this forum. The OEM battery is also an Interstate and it fits absolutely perfect in the brackets because it is designed for that specific car. And the price is very close to what you paid from a non Lexus supplier. Sometime it's worth a few bucks to bite the bullet and let the dealer do it and avoid the headaches that you are experiencing.

Last edited by rjm; 05-04-18 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 01:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
Probably should have taken it to Lexus and let them do it. A bad fit in the brackets for a non-OEM battery is fairly common and will require some modification as experienced by others on this forum. The OEM battery is also an Interstate and it fits absolutely perfect in the brackets because it is designed for that specific car. And the price is very close to what you paid from a non Lexus supplier. Sometime it's worth a few bucks to bite the bullet and let the dealer do it and avoid the headaches that you are experiencing.
Agree.....
Old 05-07-18, 07:33 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

if the car alarm is ringing when you install the new battery, just open the driver side door using the MANUAL KEY.. not the remote..

USE THE METAL KEY TO OPEN THE DOOR.. the alarm should turn off.

This car is nothing special, same old battery change as cars from 1942.

Spark.. unless it sparked like fireworks, I wouldn't worry about it. A small spark, I've seen many times.

Last edited by joedaddy1; 05-07-18 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 2015 GS 350 battery low, stuck in garage