GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

15 GS350 Transmission Shutter

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 07:40 AM
olocks1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 15 GS350 Transmission Shutter

I have a 2015 GS350 and the problem is when you accelerate at low speeds starting from 20mph to 40mph, you feel like you hit 3 speed bumps, you feel a stutter in between gears then after 40 mph its fine. If you floor it at low speed it never happens, only on smooth acceleration.
Old 05-03-18, 08:18 AM
angar4ik
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have the same. 2013 80k mileage
p.s. don't care. It just programmed like this or worn transmission. Anyway you can't do anything reasonable (cheap) if you out of warranty.
Old 05-03-18, 08:26 AM
olocks1
Driver School Candidate

I'm under warranty and I will not take the car back until they address this situation, Lexus corp is also involved, this is the 3rd time my car has been at lexus about this problem. You say you dont care , you do realize your transmission is going to fail , the torque convertor will finally fail and destroy your transmission. theres no walking away from this.
Old 05-03-18, 08:37 AM
angar4ik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by olocks1
I'm under warranty and I will not take the car back until they address this situation, Lexus corp is also involved, this is the 3rd time my car has been at lexus about this problem. You say you dont care , you do realize your transmission is going to fail , the torque convertor will finally fail and destroy your transmission. theres no walking away from this.
it is what it is. what can I do? I'm out of warranty. My infinity did same, they have TCB which indicate to change some relays and write new firmware into transmission ecu.

In your case sure I will bother dealer. But I feel they gonna make you hard times with "It's normal operation".

Btw, I so much floor it ... it should explode long time ago if something is failing. I got it for cheap and have mechanic skills ... maybe that's why I don't care. ebay tranny 600-1000$

Last edited by angar4ik; 05-03-18 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 09:45 AM
olocks1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by angar4ik
it is what it is. what can I do? I'm out of warranty. My infinity did same, they have TCB which indicate to change some relays and write new firmware into transmission ecu.

In your case sure I will bother dealer. But I feel they gonna make you hard times with "It's normal operation".

Btw, I so much floor it ... it should explode long time ago if something is failing. I got it for cheap and have mechanic skills ... maybe that's why I don't care. ebay tranny 600-1000$
I hear you, they cant pull that crap on me saying its normal operation, i had the car for 7 months and it never did that, you can tell something is wrong bc something is knocking struggling to get to the next gear, Lexus Corp is very into this matter as this car is now at the dealer i purchased it from, the dealer by my house did nothing to resolve the issue. This is the 3rd time my car is down under warranty , my case is getting stronger for a lawyer to get into this matter, they are not honoring the laws of the warranty which state the dealer manufacturer must solve the problem or the car is considered a defect therefore leaving them to replace the car. I'm also requesting compensation from Lexus Corp as my car is my business, I'm a Driver and I use my car for that purpose. I had a problem with Hyundai Genesis and their corp paid two months of car payments for me as a courtesy and inconvenience. Lets See what Lexus Does for me. .
Old 05-03-18, 09:53 AM
angar4ik
Driver School Candidate

I hear you, they cant pull that crap on me saying its normal operation, i had the car for 7 months and it never did that, you can tell something is wrong bc something is knocking struggling to get to the next gear, Lexus Corp is very into this matter as this car is now at the dealer i purchased it from, the dealer by my house did nothing to resolve the issue. This is the 3rd time my car is down under warranty , my case is getting stronger for a lawyer to get into this matter, they are not honoring the laws of the warranty which state the dealer manufacturer must solve the problem or the car is considered a defect therefore leaving them to replace the car. I'm also requesting compensation from Lexus Corp as my car is my business, I'm a Driver and I use my car for that purpose. I had a problem with Hyundai Genesis and their corp paid two months of car payments for me as a courtesy and inconvenience. Lets See what Lexus Does for me. .
go get it. wish you painless process.
Old 05-03-18, 09:59 AM
olocks1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Man, you know they gave me a loaner 2018 ES and let me tell you that car is smooth as hell , Wish I had a trade offer lol.
Old 05-04-18, 11:17 AM
olocks1
Driver School Candidate

Update , Torque Converter like I said was indeed correct, since I started a big war and threaten legal action against Lexus Corp, they decided to give me a brand new Transmission plus one month car payment as a good will gesture. I’m happy can’t wait to get my car.
Old 05-04-18, 11:40 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Update , Torque Converter like I said was indeed correct, since I started a big war and threaten legal action against Lexus Corp, they decided to give me a brand new Transmission plus one month car payment as a good will gesture. I’m happy can’t wait to get my car.
I'm sure that you threatening legal action just totally scared the living hell out of Lexus. No doubt the Toyota/Lexus corporate attorneys were behind closed doors over your threat.

Your threat of bringing legal action was totally overlooked by Lexus as you being just an upset customer. Lexus did what they did for you because they thought it was the right thing to do, not because of your threat.
Old 05-04-18, 12:07 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks Man, you know they gave me a loaner 2018 ES and let me tell you that car is smooth as hell , Wish I had a trade offer lol.
That is correct. The ES transmission is smoother than the 8-speed in my 2016 GS. Not sure why. Every time I get a loaner ES, I find its interior noticeably quieter and transmission shifting smoother than my GS.

Note that the 8-speed in my GS does not have any shudder or any sign of failure. Just that it shifts (both up and down) with a jerk. The jerk is particularly harsh at low speeds when starting to go uphill so much so that passengers in the rear seat have asked me: "What happened?"

Here is a relevant thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...6-gs350-2.html

Last edited by bb700092; 05-04-18 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 12:44 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm sure that you threatening legal action just totally scared the living hell out of Lexus. No doubt the Toyota/Lexus corporate attorneys were behind closed doors over your threat.

Your threat of bringing legal action was totally overlooked by Lexus as you being just an upset customer. Lexus did what they did for you because they thought it was the right thing to do, not because of your threat.
Exactly what I thought buddy!!!
Old 05-04-18, 01:28 PM
Deadserial
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the 6 or 8 speed tranny?
Old 05-04-18, 03:45 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

I drove both a Used 2013 GS, and 2015 GS I was thinking about Buying. I must have been unlucky that both had the same Trans Shutter feel. The 2015 was even worst. I thought it was just abnormal normal for the GS. For that very reason I was turned off, and after driving the 2013 ES I felt the same as some here. Trans much better. So I bought the ES.

I just felt like I could not deal with the GS Trans shifts like that everyday on acceleration from low speeds moderate speed in traffic or such from take off. Glad to see now what I felt was the same as here. And that there was something wrong. I just thought it could not be a problem since I drove 2 different one with 2 different years.
Old 05-04-18, 05:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I drove both a Used 2013 GS, and 2015 GS I was thinking about Buying. I must have been unlucky that both had the same Trans Shutter feel. The 2015 was even worst. I thought it was just abnormal normal for the GS. For that very reason I was turned off, and after driving the 2013 ES I felt the same as some here. Trans much better. So I bought the ES.

I just felt like I could not deal with the GS Trans shifts like that everyday on acceleration from low speeds moderate speed in traffic or such from take off. Glad to see now what I felt was the same as here. And that there was something wrong. I just thought it could not be a problem since I drove 2 different one with 2 different years.
I have not detected anything resembling a transmission shudder, and I am very perceptive and aware of anything that is the least bit abnormal when it comes to vehicles.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-04-18 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 08:35 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I have not detected anything resembling a transmission shudder, and I am very perceptive and aware of anything that is the least bit abnormal when it comes to vehicles.
That would be your best experience. Others and myself have. Don't think its something they All have, and likely something you don't want.

Quick Reply: 15 GS350 Transmission Shutter