GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: In the event that Lexus gets rid of the GS...After your current GS, would you:
Get the newly redesigned ES350/300h (FWD or AWD that is front-biased)
10.92%
Spend quite a bit more for the LS and move up in size
22.41%
Get something else in the Lexus range
28.16%
Move on to a German alternative sedan (5-series, E-class, or A6/A7)
26.44%
Move on to a Korean alternative sedan (G80 or Stinger)
16.09%
Move on to an American alternative sedan (CTS)
4.60%
Move on to a Swedish alternative sedan (S90)
1.72%
Move on to a Japanese alternative sedan (Q70 or RL)
10.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

What if the GS dies?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 03:16 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

It would definitely make getting the extra ponys out a bit easier, that's for sure. Remove electronic governor, add current! LOL!
Old 04-27-18, 05:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...c-car-division

Many years ago, TMC firmly believed in hybrids and hydrogen powered electric vehicles, thus the LC and 5LS development were commissioned.
However, by late 2016, Toyota Motor Corp made a formal announcement to venture into battery powered electric vehicles, and to have it on the market by 2020 [while other sources quote 2022].

Regardless, it is very unusual to have the GS line axed, so I'm sure there must be some far reaching replacement like a battery powered electric midsize luxury "GSe" coming to take the Tesla Model S & Porsche Mission e head on.
A GSe wouldn't have to do 0-60 in 3 seconds like the Tesla Model S; it would only need to do 0-60 in 4-5 seconds.

EV technology would then filter down into the higher volume compact luxury Lexus ISe.
Finally, EV technology would filter into the entry level midsize Camry e, and then the entry level compact Corolla e.

Mercedes, BMW and Audi also have luxury electric vehicles due for release in a few years.
Even entry level VW, GM, Ford and Hyundai are readying electric vehicles.

Electrification is not an "if", but "when".
Understandably, there is a number of people who totally oppose electrification.

Somehow, there will have to be a transitional phase-in of electric vehicles, as traditional ICEV models are phased-out and replaced by new EV models...

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-27-18 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-27-18, 06:10 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavarian39
I would definitely move up to the LS. Having worked at a repair shop that specializes in German cars, I will never buy another BMW, Audi, or Mercedes again. The newer generation German cars are utter garbage in terms of reliability compared to the Lexus.
Agree with all of this.

I worked at BMW and Mercedes... would never really consider one unless some old classic came along at a phenomenal price, like a E36 M5 or something along those lines.

But for a daily driver, I’d have to see Moses split the Red Sea again for me to move away from Lexus.

Will probably move up to the LS!
Old 04-27-18, 06:50 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike552

Agree with all of this.

I worked at BMW and Mercedes... would never really consider one unless some old classic came along at a phenomenal price, like a E36 M5 or something along those lines.

But for a daily driver, I’d have to see Moses split the Red Sea again for me to move away from Lexus.

Will probably move up to the LS!
The BMW E36 'M' was the M3, whereas the E34 'M' was the M5.
Old 04-28-18, 04:48 AM
Stewart350
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would probably try to pick up a GsF. There are not too many cars out there that spark my interest. Lol well ones that are in my price range.
Old 04-28-18, 05:28 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The BMW E36 'M' was the M3, whereas the E34 'M' was the M5.

That’s right. It has been years since I had to think of bmw chassis codes. Was shooting from the hip there. I would also go for a E28 M5...
Old 04-28-18, 09:22 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

At the end of the day, if I am owning a car for the long term, it will always be a Toyota/Lexus. If I am leasing, then I would go German. Owning a German car that is out of warranty is an absolute nightmare.
Old 04-30-18, 05:06 PM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
At the end of the day, if I am owning a car for the long term, it will always be a Toyota/Lexus. If I am leasing, then I would go German. Owning a German car that is out of warranty is an absolute nightmare.
This is pretty much what I told my wife when she wanted me to get a BMW 750. I told her its a leaser, not a owner. They just don't seem to be cars to keep long term. That's part of the reason I'm saying bye bye to the E55.

Next for me? I'd say A GS-F or CTS -V. But I just got here so we'll see.
Old 05-01-18, 12:42 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolchuck
This is pretty much what I told my wife when she wanted me to get a BMW 750. I told her its a leaser, not a owner. They just don't seem to be cars to keep long term. That's part of the reason I'm saying bye bye to the E55.

Next for me? I'd say A GS-F or CTS -V. But I just got here so we'll see.

This slamming German cars as being a nightmare to own out warranty is quite interesting. While many people have had mechanical problems with their German or European cars, It’s not the end of the world once the warranty expires. I myself keep European cars well beyond the warranty expiration date and don’t have really any major issues at all. The maintenance regimen is very expensive and some things need to be replaced, but these are very special cars that work and operate in a very special sophisticated way. The maintenance was expensive before the warranty expired. Now there are some era’s where some brands are known to be truly problematic.

The E55 AMG you have was engineered during the time where Daimler Mercedes was deeply in bed with Chrysler Corp. I personally do agree with you, I would never touch a Chrysler era Mercedes-Benz. They are prone to rust, the electronic systems are sketchy and they can have many faulty parts. People always remember the bad years, but never the good years. There were decades where Mercedes was the most reliable cars on earth. Up until the mid 90’s they we’re known as rock solid automobiles. Modern German cars are pretty reliable overall and yes you will have little nagging things break here and there and it can be annoying, but that’s the price you pay for having the state of the art innovation and technology that may take years to show up in the equivalent reliable Lexus or Acura.

Now I’m am a poster child for the GS. In my humble opinion Lexus did a pretty darn good job matching the Europeans with the 4th gen GS model. I chose the GS because I wanted a reliable fun to drive rear drive bias daily driver. I own several European cars all at once including a rare Maserati and Porsche. I don’t mind those cars so much because their intended purpose of being in my garage is to put a smile on my face and car show trophies on my mantle. But when it comes to my daily driver I don’t want a car that requires very expensive maintenance regimens to keep it running stellar. I tested the E350, A6 3.0T and 535i and the GS matched or surpassed all those cars feature for feature and on performance too.

If it’s your only car and you planning owning it for 15 years with just basic maintenance than yes, your going to run into some problems and most likely one should stick to Acura, Lexus and possibly Infiniti. European cars are special and they require special attention from the owner and mechanic. The more exotic the car the more exotic the parts and less likely for the components to haven't been tested millions of miles on testing equipment and real world test driving.

Last edited by highrev6; 05-01-18 at 01:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (05-01-18)
Old 05-01-18, 08:09 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Interesting poll results - just a touch more than half of the members who voted would stick with the Lexus brand if the GS were to die...not good numbers if Toyota was hoping die hard GS fans would move over to another Lexus if they discontinue it in North America.

BTW: I wasn't an active member back then, but does anyone know if there was the same "GS might die" hysteria sweeping the 3GS forum back in 2011 early on in the year?
Old 05-01-18, 08:19 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts

Yes, same thing happened when there was no 2012 model. Then they hit us with an early release of '13 redesign in February of 2012. I was in the market to replace my 03 TL-S back then. Ended up with a leftover '11 GS350 because everyone was doing MSRP of the '13. I kept the '11 for 4 years(90K miles) before I traded it for the '15 GS.
That '11 GS would have lasted me for many many years but the tech was old and I couldn't handle the gramma buttons on the center console anymore. I really do like the interior of the 4GS. I think it's the best design.
I checked out the LS this past weekend and the interior was nice but I'm not sure about those horizontal lines going across the center console to the passenger side.

Last edited by NickL; 05-01-18 at 08:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (05-01-18)
Old 05-01-18, 04:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
Yes, same thing happened when there was no 2012 model. Then they hit us with an early release of '13 redesign in February of 2012. I was in the market to replace my 03 TL-S back then. Ended up with a leftover '11 GS350 because everyone was doing MSRP of the '13. I kept the '11 for 4 years(90K miles) before I traded it for the '15 GS.
That '11 GS would have lasted me for many many years but the tech was old and I couldn't handle the gramma buttons on the center console anymore. I really do like the interior of the 4GS. I think it's the best design.
I checked out the LS this past weekend and the interior was nice but I'm not sure about those horizontal lines going across the center console to the passenger side.
You mean the guitar strings?
Old 05-01-18, 06:23 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6
This slamming German cars as being a nightmare to own out warranty is quite interesting. ... that’s the price you pay for having the state of the art innovation and technology that may take years to show up in the equivalent reliable Lexus or Acura. ...
So true! Even among Japanese brands, Infiniti is the most aggressive in bringing new technology to the market followed by Acura and then Lexus. The reliability order is the reverse: Infiniti least reliable followed by Acura, and Lexus is the most reliable. It is sad that Lexus does not have Apple Carplay/Android Auto in its vehicles in 2018. Nissan had the guts to make CVT the only transmission in its entire lineup since 2007-2008 even though there was wide criticism of the driving experience and reliability. In the last 10 years, other automakers are following its footsteps and slowly introducing CVT in their vehicles. Bottomline: Lexus reliability is largely due to its use of age-old proven technology which is valued by a subset of customers but not everybody.

Last edited by bb700092; 05-01-18 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-02-18, 11:16 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Here is another indicator the GS is going absolutely no where. A Lexus executive was recently quoted telling Lexus Enthusiasts.com this in a interview

The ES will rely heavily on value as a primary selling point, as the car is sized like a mid-size sedan but targets the entry-level luxury market — Lexus considers the Cadillac ATS, Acura TLX, Infiniti Q50, BMW 3-Series, Audi A4 and Mercedes C-Class as core competitors:.

If Lexus is still considering the ES a entry level model that competes with the Q50 than this is very good news that they have a proper midsize luxury vehicle in the pipeline for the future Lexus lineup.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/05/...nger-audience/
Old 05-03-18, 07:09 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Typical exec. At least he didn’t say the RX competes with Formula 1, but I don’t see either of those cars direct competitors with the ES!

Quick Reply: What if the GS dies?