Rotational scratching noise when making right turns

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 08:43 PM
mikepgs350
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rotational scratching noise when making right turns

Hi guys

When I make right turns I hear a 'screet' sound with every revolution. Sounds like it's coming from the front driver side wheel. It sounds worse when making those right turns going downhill turning the corners to get to the lower level in my parking garage. The slower I'm driving the slower the screet sound. Any idea what it could be? Unfortunately I don't really trust my dealership and their recommendations. 2013 GS 350 F AWD.
Thanks!
Old 04-23-18, 09:31 PM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikepgs350
Hi guys

When I make right turns I hear a 'screet' sound with every revolution. Sounds like it's coming from the front driver side wheel. It sounds worse when making those right turns going downhill turning the corners to get to the lower level in my parking garage. The slower I'm driving the slower the screet sound. Any idea what it could be? Unfortunately I don't really trust my dealership and their recommendations. 2013 GS 350 F AWD.
Thanks!
could be wheel bearing
The following users liked this post:
mikepgs350 (04-28-18)
Old 04-24-18, 04:47 AM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

u sure it' not the brake pad indicator ?
mikepgs350 (04-28-18)
Old 04-24-18, 06:09 AM
sibs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a similar issue - i think its the brake shields and components rusting overtime. the dealer puts it back into place, but over time it moves back and rubs causing that noise
mikepgs350 (04-28-18)
Old 04-24-18, 06:39 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Are you on stock size tires? 235/40R19 for AWD F?
mikepgs350 (04-28-18)
Old 04-24-18, 06:50 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I had this on my 2013 AWD GS350.

I had to take the wheels off, scrape the rust off the outside edge of the rotors with a flat screwdriver, hammer, file, etc. then i used a pry bar to bend the dust shield away from the rotors (towards the center of the car) so there was a visible gap when shining a light thru.

They are good now, it's been over 6 months and still quiet.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregCanada:
mikepgs350 (04-28-18), sibs (04-24-18)
Old 04-28-18, 12:55 PM
mikepgs350
Driver

Yes I am running on stock wheels tires and it turned out to be what sibs and Greg mentioned. I was a bit surprised because I had this problem before on my TSX. But after driving for a while the noise would stop. I guess it would heat up and shift a little. Since the noise never stopped on my GS350F I thought it would have been a different problem. The dealer only charged me the dianostic fee. Very pleasantly surprised!
Old 04-28-18, 03:25 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there an underlying issue....why would turning cause the shield to rub against the rotor?
Old 04-28-18, 03:31 PM
mikepgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by sam430
Is there an underlying issue....why would turning cause the shield to rub against the rotor?
pretty much exactly what sibs and Greg mentioned. My service report said. The bottom of the backing plate was subbing against the edge of the rotor. The rotor and backing plate are developing rust ridges.
Correction: Bent the backing plate out of the way, If noise returns brakes should be serviced + backing plate should be sanded down.

It would have been nice if they sanded them down..
Old 04-29-18, 08:22 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Originally Posted by sam430
The rotor flexes into the backing plate (or vice versa). The rotor is rusty so it only has to touch it ever so slightly to make a scratching noise. On my 89' 4runner when one of the caliper pistons seized i had a similar sound since it only touched it on specific turns when the rotor flexed over.
pretty much exactly what sibs and Greg mentioned. My service report said. The bottom of the backing plate was subbing against the edge of the rotor. The rotor and backing plate are developing rust ridges.
Correction: Bent the backing plate out of the way, If noise returns brakes should be serviced + backing plate should be sanded down.

It would have been nice if they sanded them down..
Glad we could help - if they didn't clean the rotors off it may come back soon. I did just the backing plates originally and it came back in a few months. Once i did the rotors as well - no issues since. I'll check them again when i swap the summer tires on this week.
Old 04-30-18, 07:37 AM
mikepgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by GregCanada
The rotor flexes into the backing plate (or vice versa). The rotor is rusty so it only has to touch it ever so slightly to make a scratching noise. On my 89' 4runner when one of the caliper pistons seized i had a similar sound since it only touched it on specific turns when the rotor flexed over.

Glad we could help - if they didn't clean the rotors off it may come back soon. I did just the backing plates originally and it came back in a few months. Once i did the rotors as well - no issues since. I'll check them again when i swap the summer tires on this week.
Hi Greg,

When you have the wheel off is there sufficient access to sand the backing plate or do any other components need to be removed? Also what grit sandpaper do you use? Thanks!
Old 05-07-18, 12:33 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi guys

Thanks!
I had the same issue on my ‘13 GS350 F-Sport AWD, mostly noticed when the steering wheel was turned all the way (like if you’re doing a u-turn in a tight area). Problem was the factory dust shield was bent and caused the crazy sounds. The dealer bent it backwards and all was silent again.
Old 05-07-18, 02:37 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Hi Greg,

When you have the wheel off is there sufficient access to sand the backing plate or do any other components need to be removed? Also what grit sandpaper do you use? Thanks!
Mike,

No need to sand the backing plate, just need to use a long flat screwdriver or prybar, and pry it away from the rotor. Sanding will encourage rust.

What you should do is de-scale the edge of the rotor, i used a cold chisel and hammer to chip off the thick rust but you could get away with a flat screwdriver.
Old 05-19-18, 01:22 PM
Westash
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys

Thanks!
Driver School CandidateThread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2013Location: OHPosts: 31Thanks: 0Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rotor Backing Plates
Just took my 13 GS350 with only 31,228 miles to my local Lexus dealer. I was experiencing a scraping noise by my right front tire when turning on right turns only at very slow speeds ( under 10 MPH ).
I am the original owner and never have been in an accident or hit the curb with my tires. I am the only driver of the car.
Diagnoses by the dealer: the Tech verified my concern and found both front brake rotor backing plates rubbing against the rotors causing the noise. The Tech removed the rotors and rebent both the right and left backing plates. He said the front left tire would soon start making the same noise.
This solved my problem.
Question: Has anyone experienced this problem before? I have owned many cars and this never came up before. Is this a Lexus defect? Service Advisor said I did nothing wrong. Of course my car is out of warranty and there was a minimum $105 charge to diagnose and correct this problem. Really not complaining about the money. Just would like to hear from the forum.
Old 10-02-23, 08:52 PM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

had rubbing noise on the backing plate of the rotors when turning. for me it was rust on the inside of the rotors. on the left side. I removed the rotors and just cleaned the rust since they are not worn yet so didnt want to throw them away. to clean the rust I just took the rotor and rubbed it on the concrete a couple of time and tahts it. fixed the issue. there was rust on the inside where the pads dont touch. when its time to replace them I’m not buying oem rotors , ill get fully zinc coated ones. for northern winters its a better choise. I saw the bosch ones are coated and good reviews.