GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Start stop button not engaging engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 08:35 AM
Jenesh14
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Start stop button not engaging engine

I put it in accessory mode for a quick second so I could see better for 2-3 mins and turned it off and then 5-10 mins later I was trying to start it up for school. I tried turning it on and realize the brake pedal was vacuum locked and It wouldn’t start. I try clicking the button wouldn’t turn over just go into accessory mode. I try turning it on and off 3 times see if the security system may have messed up and it didn’t work. Then I got out the car locked it unlocked it and tried still didn’t start. I then realized the car can detect the key when it unlocks but not with the start stop button when it comes to going further then accessory mode. It told me to pair the button and key so I did still didn’t start. I got the spare key and it still didn’t detect the key. I gave up and I tried locking the car and the first lock it didn’t make the locking noise fully but it did on the second click. I will be calling the dealership once I’m home if anyone may know what could be occurring any information would be nice.

Last edited by Jenesh14; 04-16-18 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 08:55 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Did you try holding the key to the start button? If the battery is dead, that's how I've seen it work. It will eliminate that as the problem.
Old 04-16-18, 09:01 AM
Jenesh14
Rookie

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Did you try holding the key to the start button? If the battery is dead, that's how I've seen it work. It will eliminate that as the problem.
yes it prompted me to try this and I did still did not do the trick. I really don’t want to pay $100-$200 to tow the car 2 miles down to the dealership if it could be a simple fix.
Old 04-16-18, 09:05 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Ur brake pedal is locked in the high position? Do u have remote starter?
Old 04-16-18, 09:12 AM
Jenesh14
Rookie

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Ur brake pedal is locked in the high position? Do u have remote starter?

yes it is locked in the high position but with more pressure then usual it’s possible to lower and no I do not have remote start.
Old 04-16-18, 09:17 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jenesh14

yes it is locked in the high position but with more pressure then usual it’s possible to lower and no I do not have remote start.
Can u step on it hard and see if it starts?
Old 04-16-18, 09:29 AM
Jenesh14
Rookie

Can u step on it hard and see if it starts?
I tried this morning. The car detects it being locked and unlocked so it’s not they keys however the ignition may have some sort of issue since the key is not detected when trying to start the car. It can turn the power on and go into accessory mode but not turn the engine over.
Old 04-16-18, 09:46 AM
Jenesh14
Rookie

Did u try stepping on the brakes very hard and push the start button and see if the engine starts?
yes i have my moms RX always vacuum locks but it start right back up I thought this would be the same and it did not work. The key just isn’t being detected for engine start but for everything else in the car the key is detected.
Old 04-16-18, 09:51 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

yes i have my moms RX always vacuum locks but it start right back up I thought this would be the same and it did not work. The key just isn’t being detected for engine start but for everything else in the car the key is detected.
Oh well then there is something else going on with the car. Unplug the battery for 30 mins and reset the system maybe?
Old 04-16-18, 09:53 AM
Jenesh14
Rookie

Oh well then there is something else going on with the car. Unplug the battery for 30 mins and reset the system maybe?
that was exactly what I was going to try once I got home just not fond of the idea all my data from the car being erased.
Old 04-16-18, 10:02 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

that was exactly what I was going to try once I got home just not fond of the idea all my data from the car being erased.
Ur nav data shouldn't be erased, only the radio presets I think.
Old 04-16-18, 11:08 AM
Jenesh14
Rookie

Ur nav data shouldn't be erased, only the radio presets I think.
alright thankyou I’ll give it a try
Old 04-16-18, 11:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The fact that you can go into ACC and ON mode, but not start the engine tells me this is everything to do with the brake pedal and nothing to do with the key. Clearly the key is being detected, else you wouldn't get into ACC mode. If the brake pedal is "stuck" and not allowing you to depress it, the car won't start because it thinks your foot is not on the brake.
Old 04-16-18, 11:26 AM
Jenesh14
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDR76
The fact that you can go into ACC and ON mode, but not start the engine tells me this is everything to do with the brake pedal and nothing to do with the key. Clearly the key is being detected, else you wouldn't get into ACC mode. If the brake pedal is "stuck" and not allowing you to depress it, the car won't start because it thinks your foot is not on the brake.

thats what i was thinking but im not sure I’ll be home soon and I will have another go at trying to start if. will talk with a service tech see all the possibilities of what’s going on if it does not start.
Old 04-16-18, 11:59 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

OP - It sounds like you may have an issue with the check valve in your brake's booster. When you try again to start the engine push on the brake pedal with all your might - as hard as possible when trying to start the engine.

Quick Reply: Start stop button not engaging engine