GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Start stop button not engaging engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-18, 01:13 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenesh14

that was exactly what I was going to try once I got home just not fond of the idea all my data from the car being erased.
It could be your neutral safety start switch (console?) or it could be the brake switch (under the dash) causing your issues since we know the remote and push button both work. The brakes should always work, even without power assist but it will be 10 times harder. You may have to scoot the seat up, grab the wheel with both hands and really put both feet into it. It would be unsafe if they brakes completely stopped working when the motor died.

If it is the brake switch, you will not be able to shift out of park while the car is in ON mode. There should be an interlock override near the shifter handle that you can stick the key into to get the shifter to move but I don't know if that will help with starting.

If you can shift it out of park buy pressing the brake, put it in neutral and try to start it. If that works, it is definitely the neutral safety switch.

I'd like to hear what happens when you try those. It could contribute to other cheap options.
Old 04-16-18, 03:20 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the car in Park? I left mine in drive once and couldn't figure out why it wasn't starting.
Old 04-16-18, 04:15 PM
Jenesh14
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were all over thinking it turns out the battery decided it can’t handle staying in battery mode for 2-3 mins. Not surprised battery is about 5-6 years old now. Just needed a new battery and clear all error codes from when it was jumped. Runs like a champ now. Glad it was something simple. Thankyou all for the suggestions.
Old 04-16-18, 04:26 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

We were all over thinking it turns out the battery decided it can’t handle staying in battery mode for 2-3 mins. Not surprised battery is about 5-6 years old now. Just needed a new battery and clear all error codes from when it was jumped. Runs like a champ now. Glad it was something simple. Thankyou all for the suggestions.
Glad you got it taken care of with a new battery.

All battery makers recommend that once a battery reaches two years old it should be load tested once a year. NTB (National Tire & Battery) will load test your battery at no-charge in their parking lot to determine its health to learn if it needs to be replaced. It takes all of 3 minutes to have it load tested, and you can watch it be done and receive a printed readout of the test...
Old 04-16-18, 05:14 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Happened to me also but battery only 2 years old. Turns out I left my dash cam with parking mode enabled for four days. Drained the battery, lol.
Old 04-16-18, 05:20 PM
Jenesh14
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus

All battery makers recommend that once a battery reaches two years old it should be load tested once a year. NTB (National Tire & Battery) will load test your battery at no-charge in their parking lot to determine its health to learn if it needs to be replaced. It takes all of 3 minutes to have it load tested, and you can watch it be done and receive a printed readout of the test...
don’t have an NTB near me but for future reference will start load testing it when needed also going to invest in a jump box for whenever it may come in handy
Old 04-16-18, 06:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

don’t have an NTB near me but for future reference will start load testing it when needed also going to invest in a jump box for whenever it may come in handy
Most any decent auto store that sells batteries or your Lexus dealership can load test your battery.

You do not have your battery load tested 'when needed' because you don't know what state of health your battery is in before it is tested. That is the purpose of having it tested once a year after the battery becomes two years old.
Old 04-17-18, 04:33 AM
Jenesh14
Rookie

Most any decent auto store that sells batteries or your Lexus dealership can load test your battery.

You do not have your battery load tested 'when needed' because you don't know what state of health your battery is in before it is tested. That is the purpose of having it tested once a year after the battery becomes two years old.
yea that’s what I meant by when needed. After 2-3 yrs I will start doing that dealer should really be covering this in our services for how much we pay it should be covered