GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Came across this...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 07:34 AM
scootabill
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Came across this...

Figured I would share, not sure if this is old news or not.

https://carbuzz.com/news/lexus-gs-might-not-be-long-for-this-world
Old 04-02-18, 06:51 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

They're releasing a 10yr anniversary edition of the GS-F (MY2019).
Old 04-02-18, 10:23 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
They're releasing a 10yr anniversary edition of the GS-F (MY2019).
yep and I really like it, sadly there will only be 100 made. So if it falls in my hands I'll grab otherwise getting an LS. The rumours seem to be that the GS will be cut and turned into a coupe.
Old 04-02-18, 11:08 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I really hope they don't kill the GS. It's the only good reliable alternative to the German competition. I don't like Cadillac or Lincoln and Acura really hasn't been catching any of my attention. I kinda wish they made a coupe like GS like the new Kia Stringer or Audi A7.
Old 04-03-18, 01:25 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

See this is what I've been saying. Lexus is chopping the GS. As it sits, it's already poor selling being beaten up by the ES and stealing sales from the LS. Lexus has no incentive to keep it.

The next generation ES is set to debut, and will have optional AWD.

At the end of the day, it's a business decision.

Sucks though cause I would've liked to see a new GS and would've considered one for my next car.
Old 04-03-18, 01:30 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
See this is what I've been saying. Lexus is chopping the GS. As it sits, it's already poor selling being beaten up by the ES and stealing sales from the LS. Lexus has no incentive to keep it.

The next generation ES is set to debut, and will have optional AWD.

At the end of the day, it's a business decision.

Sucks though cause I would've liked to see a new GS and would've considered one for my next car.
If only you knew that Lexus is chopping the GS in North America!
Old 04-03-18, 04:30 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I don't have the strength for another one of these threads...
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (04-03-18)
Old 04-12-18, 02:31 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

What's there to be strong about? Another automotive outlet I read just today just posted they confirmed with Toyota executives that the GS is indeed on the chopping block and will be replaced by an ES. This is an update to THIS update. This is not surprising at all. A new ES is coming out and the market isn't necessarily screaming "O MAN NEED RWD." People will cross shop the ES against the 5-Series and enjoy its more efficient interior and AWD option if needed.

Business decisions.
Old 04-12-18, 02:39 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Just for reference,

For 2017,
BMW sold 40,658 5-Series in the US.
Lexus sold 7,773 GS units in the US.

From an objective business perspective (not a forum car bro RWD perspective), I cannot see how this isn't logical to some.

Of course I hope they keep the GS. Nice great car. But it's good to be realistic. The ES is the best selling Lexus or at least in the top 2. It is just as big if not bigger than the GS inside. Why not have one car? (The car with the higher sales figure)
Old 04-12-18, 03:09 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Ref. http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/01...ehicle-ranked/

Lexus RC 7,363
Acura RLX 1,237
Infiniti Q70 5,772

If the above are not being chopped, why should the GS be?
Old 04-12-18, 03:21 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Just for reference,

For 2017,

From an objective business perspective (not a forum car bro RWD perspective), I cannot see how this isn't logical to some.

Of course I hope they keep the GS. Nice great car. But it's good to be realistic. The ES is the best selling Lexus or at least in the top 2. It is just as big if not bigger than the GS inside. Why not have one car? (The car with the higher sales figure)
I have an ES and GS. Totally two different cars. So the replacement will be the IS350 or... RCF? GSF? Confused how the lineup works now.
Old 04-12-18, 05:46 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Just for reference,

For 2017,

The 5 series was redesigned for 17, new engines, new platform, everything. Can't expect a 6 year old platform to keep up. Besides, the looks of the GS is very questionable. Not many look at a BMW and say damn is that thing fugly! Lexus knows good and well their new design doesn't appeal to the masses, yet keeps pushing the envelope. That said, it won't be the first time a corporation made a boneheaded move, then blamed the market for its failure. They will definitely lose traction if they kill their RWD platforms. I may have to get into leasing BMWs and forgetting about Lexus. Not driving FWD again. Way too much aggravation with those things and I'm a pretty mellow driver.
Old 04-13-18, 07:31 AM
vclifford
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
The 5 series was redesigned for 17, new engines, new platform, everything. Can't expect a 6 year old platform to keep up. Besides, the looks of the GS is very questionable. Not many look at a BMW and say damn is that thing fugly! Lexus knows good and well their new design doesn't appeal to the masses, yet keeps pushing the envelope. That said, it won't be the first time a corporation made a boneheaded move, then blamed the market for its failure. They will definitely lose traction if they kill their RWD platforms. I may have to get into leasing BMWs and forgetting about Lexus. Not driving FWD again. Way too much aggravation with those things and I'm a pretty mellow driver.
And now they have installed the same v6 @305 bhp in 2018 Camry. I feel for the guys who spent more on ES and Avalon. It is same for GS as well, @311 there is hardly any difference other than Lexus;s AWD and Adaptive features in F sport but then it costs more as well.
2018 Audi A6 is 340 bhp, BMW540 is 335 bhp. They definitely need a refresh. I would have kept GS and chopped ES. GS looks better than ES, it is a bolder design.
Old 04-13-18, 08:08 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I can’t use the power in our FWD RX now. Not even when in motion. If that thing spins out at all the nanny forces it to fall flat on its face. A great feeling when you think you have a shot at pulling into traffic, do so just in time to have zero acceleration. They can put all the HP and torque in FWDs they want. The power can’t be utilized. As for the RX, the AWD is only marginally better p, since it’s front wheel dominant. The only one that doesn’t have this issue is the Hybrid. You just can’t rev that engine enough to spin and the electric motors give it more go juice. The public however is overly impressed with HP, so on paper the Camry looks better than the GS.

Not it sure why the Germans can figure out how to make killer RWD and AWDs and Toyota makes everything good into a Camry or Prius. Why not continue to compete with the German makers too. It’s not like they have to start from scratch. The partnership with Subaru has to be worth something if they can’t figure out how to make a real AWD. I guess I’m overly annoyed with Toyota’s latest direction!

Old 04-13-18, 08:32 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Just for reference,

For 2017,

Good because I see way less GS on the road, and tons of 5 series. The last 2 f10's and the current model are pretty boring to me.

Quick Reply: Came across this...