GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Things to look for at a high mileage GS350 Fsports

Old 03-31-18, 09:58 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Things to look for at a high mileage GS350 Fsports

Hi everyone looking at a GS Fsports, it was a CPO so it's again returned at the dealer at 100k miles, Lexus service history shows leaking front and rear struts otherwise in decent condition asking for 17500. What do you guys think. Is it worth it how much does it cost to replace the struts on the Fsports. Thanks
Old 04-01-18, 11:22 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

No one ? .........
Old 04-01-18, 11:30 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

The reason you aren't getting many responses is because most of the owners here are sitting at half of or less than half of the mileage you are quoting.

There simply are not a lot of 100k GS owners here considering the car is at most 6 years old.

FWIW I would not pay 18k for a 100k mile GS with known suspension issues.
Old 04-01-18, 11:35 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Hi everyone looking at a GS Fsports, it was a CPO so it's again returned at the dealer at 100k miles, Lexus service history shows leaking front and rear struts otherwise in decent condition asking for 17500. What do you guys think. Is it worth it how much does it cost to replace the struts on the Fsports. Thanks
You are blazing new ground here. Will it be coming with an extended warranty of any kind? If not, there are better specimens available but for a bit more money.

If you are looking to get into a GS for cheap and can do the work yourself, I'd say negotiate down and go for it. If you have to pay someone, again, I'd pass.
Old 04-01-18, 12:26 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

I was searching at cars.com and there were many other cars in that mileage area, anyways the dealer is willing to work on the price, any idea how much it would cost to replace the struts. I don't do the work myself but have a friend of mine who charges me very minimal.

Thanks
Old 04-01-18, 02:26 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I can only give you an estimate based on the electronically controlled struts on my GX470. Around $1800 per end. Not sure if that's anywhere in the ball park with the GS, but pretty certain it won't be less.
Old 04-02-18, 11:10 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Lexus has a good track record for reliability. I can tell you that I have an RX350 with a similar engine, the same 3.5 V6 and so far it's been great. The only issue I have heard on those engines is water pumps go out. On the GS it's right up front and fairly easy to access. Other then that make sure everything works.
Old 04-03-18, 12:01 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
I can only give you an estimate based on the electronically controlled struts on my GX470. Around $1800 per end. Not sure if that's anywhere in the ball park with the GS, but pretty certain it won't be less.
IMO if its a GS (without adjustable suspension) it probably won't be anywhere near that, it's the type of thing I would want to quote out at a local reputable, non dealer shop that is willing to work on Lexus vehicles....
If it was me I'd run away from that car. If the dampers are leaking and nobody noticed it until now, what other neglect has the car seen? I bet it hasn't had the trans fluit or diff fluid changed
either. Or the spark plugs. (although on a 2GR-FSE, that's a part of a lazy afternoon worth of work to do the plugs). I wonder if one of the owners lowered that thing and then reverted it to stock ride
height before dumping it on his lease or whatever? That's a frequent source of failed/failing dampers.

I'm probably off base, but when I look at a car like that the first thing I'm thinking is "well, this is going to need another 3 grand dumped into it to make it viable..." and that's money that can't be written into the
note, either if financing. Not very long from there and you're looking at CPOs with half the mileage.

I get skeptical very fast of cars like that....

That's the type of car where I would only buy it if I personally knew the previous OWNER and they had some good records on it.

-Mike
Old 04-03-18, 12:20 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by drgrant
IMO if its a GS (without adjustable suspension) it probably won't be anywhere near that, it's the type of thing I would want to quote out at a local reputable, non dealer shop that is willing to work on Lexus vehicles....
If it was me I'd run away from that car. If the dampers are leaking and nobody noticed it until now, what other neglect has the car seen? I bet it hasn't had the trans fluit or diff fluid changed
either. Or the spark plugs. (although on a 2GR-FSE, that's a part of a lazy afternoon worth of work to do the plugs). I wonder if one of the owners lowered that thing and then reverted it to stock ride
height before dumping it on his lease or whatever? That's a frequent source of failed/failing dampers.

I'm probably off base, but when I look at a car like that the first thing I'm thinking is "well, this is going to need another 3 grand dumped into it to make it viable..." and that's money that can't be written into the
note, either if financing. Not very long from there and you're looking at CPOs with half the mileage.

I get skeptical very fast of cars like that....

That's the type of car where I would only buy it if I personally knew the previous OWNER and they had some good records on it.

-Mike
I actually saw the service history at the Lexus.drivers website and local Lexus dealer posted leaking struts and customer declined service. all the other recommended services were declined as well. As you all suggested I had to pass on it and guess what the vehicle was off listing in the evening I'm assuming someone else got it, without knowing what's going on as the dealer didn't offer any kind of warranty on it. Thanks
Old 04-03-18, 05:56 AM
Lusty72
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
No one ? .........

How about more info? Year? AWD or RWD? Options? Condition of rest of the vehicle?

I have a 2014 F Sport AWD with now 94k on it. I bought it in November with 83k. Miles don't scare me in the least on this car. The only issue I've had is the damn potholes in New England this year are the worst I've ever seen. Blew a bubble in the sidewall and I'm pretty sure I'll need to get at least 1 rim fixed and made to be right. Other than that it's been a pleasure. I plan on driving this car to 200k easy which I should hit in about 3 years. If you find the right car, even with miles, and it fits your budget then go for it. Good luck in your search!
Old 04-03-18, 07:42 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I probably have one of the higher mileage F sports on this site... currently at 64k.

I am experiencing no major issues at all. Being in New England with bad roads, I have one anonoying little rattle in the middle area of my dash whenever I go over bumps, but other than that it has been flawless.
Old 04-03-18, 10:04 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

2 grand per strut? Damn! Just lease the damn thing! I heard u can lease CPOs now.
Old 04-03-18, 11:09 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

It won't cost anywhere near what it costs to replace a GX suspension. Good Christ.
Old 04-03-18, 11:46 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
2 grand per strut? Damn! Just lease the damn thing! I heard u can lease CPOs now.
It wasn't 2 grand per strut, parts are listed at 280$ per strut at mylexusparts.com, but the history almost didn't exist so I had to pass.
Old 04-03-18, 11:52 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Oh $280 is still ok then.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Things to look for at a high mileage GS350 Fsports