GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Passenger side mirror glass replacement - how to disconnect wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-18, 05:54 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Agh! I am getting my car back from the body shop today and they are giving me the junk mirror. Glass and internals are good, just the shell and mounting point aren't. Sorry!
Old 04-17-18, 06:00 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by mryeh17
Thanks, was thinking that and heat-shrink wrapping them. Hopefully I can find the clips, looks like a couple may be on the mirror glass itself (circled in yellow), a couple wires not on clips (circled in green)

The yellow clips, just use a razor blade to lift up the tab and slide out.

The part circled in green you pull off. The wire connector just slides onto a pin that's sticking out the back of the side mirror. It's very easy you don't cut any wires. The part circled in green is for the heated side mirror(so when you reassemble you can even switch the connections, doesn't make a difference. The top yellow circle is for the BSM led light. I think the bottom yellow circle is for auto dimming.

I know because I retrofitted the 2014+ power side mirror base onto the 2013 manual folding side mirror and I had to disassemble the entire mirror assembly.
Old 04-17-18, 08:17 AM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks peasodos, I was able to remove the clips successfully.

Interesting, my mirrors are not heated nor auto-dimming, just BSM. I guess they are just wired for the options as potential dealer add-ins.
Old 04-17-18, 12:10 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
The yellow clips, just use a razor blade to lift up the tab and slide out.

The part circled in green you pull off. The wire connector just slides onto a pin that's sticking out the back of the side mirror. It's very easy you don't cut any wires. The part circled in green is for the heated side mirror(so when you reassemble you can even switch the connections, doesn't make a difference. The top yellow circle is for the BSM led light. I think the bottom yellow circle is for auto dimming.

I know because I retrofitted the 2014+ power side mirror base onto the 2013 manual folding side mirror and I had to disassemble the entire mirror assembly.
I didn't think heated side mirrors was even an option! Does the GS have an option from the factory for heated side mirrors? My '13 with the Premium & Cold Weather Pkg def. does not have heated side mirrors...
Old 04-17-18, 12:16 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I didn't think heated side mirrors was even an option! Does the GS have an option from the factory for heated side mirrors? My '13 with the Premium & Cold Weather Pkg def. does not have heated side mirrors...
It's the button circled in yellow, if you have it. I have it on my 450h.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (04-17-18)
Old 04-17-18, 04:20 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

@peasodos: I didn't realize that it was a standard feature lol I guess I do have it - i thought it was part of some package that I didn't have..thank you. Learn something new everyday
Old 06-01-21, 03:06 AM
classytn79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE help me!!!

Sorry to reach out now since you posted here a few years back, but I'm to my breaking point now.

I accidently hit my neighbors mailbox with my passenger side mirror and it didn't do anything to the appearance/outside cover of the mirror. However, the mirror itself won't stay mounted on the bracker. It hangs by the wires which still light up if someone is in my blind spot.

I asked my Lexus technician what I needed to do to fix it (which was also a woman) when I went for my last oil change and she said she thought I needed to replace the entire mirror. I'm hoping she's mistaken as I take don't want to spend 1k on a mirror that isn't even broken.

I would REALLY appreciate any assistance you can offer. Thank you so much!!!! Amanda 615.478.8472

Originally Posted by mryeh17
I hit a trash bin this morning and broke my passenger side mirror glass including the clips that hold it into the white angle adjustment unit. The rest of the mirror unit (housing, turn signal, BSM) seem to still work fine. I bought a whole replacement unit off ebay ($65!) and am planning just to replace the mirror glass.

The mirror glass has a couple wires attached to it, I am guessing for the BSM indicator light. Does anyone know where these wires lead or how to detach them? I've looked at a couple videos and posts, can't find it exactly. I am guessing behind the white angle adjustment unit there might be a clip that I can't see, hoping they don't go all the way inside the door.

Mirror with wires on right, pic taken from DIY puddle light led by 0mghi2u
Old 06-01-21, 06:48 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by classytn79
Sorry to reach out now since you posted here a few years back, but I'm to my breaking point now.

I accidently hit my neighbors mailbox with my passenger side mirror and it didn't do anything to the appearance/outside cover of the mirror. However, the mirror itself won't stay mounted on the bracker. It hangs by the wires which still light up if someone is in my blind spot.

I asked my Lexus technician what I needed to do to fix it (which was also a woman) when I went for my last oil change and she said she thought I needed to replace the entire mirror. I'm hoping she's mistaken as I take don't want to spend 1k on a mirror that isn't even broken.

I would REALLY appreciate any assistance you can offer. Thank you so much!!!! Amanda xxx.xxx.xxxx
I would refrain from adding your phone number in your post. Are the clips broken on the glass side or the housing side? If glass side, the glass can be replaced. If the housing side, I would just find a junker mirror and swap out the white piece.
Old 06-03-21, 08:47 AM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with MX73, you can try to locate a used part online via car-parts.com or some other website but first you want to assess which part actually is broken