New to us 13 GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 04:32 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Smile New to us 13 GS

Hi All,

Haven't posted on the GS forum in quite a while. A few years back, we had to finally part ways with out GS 400 and have been wanting that sport sedan feel back. Have lurked here for quite a while reading up and was pretty bent on getting a 14 or 15. For some reason everything I came across had been beaten and unloved. Was staying away from the 13, because I read several pro reviewers mocking the 6-speed for being outdated, etc. I was pretty happy with the drive of the 8-speed and had never driven the "old style" tranny. Found a 13 Blue Mica with light grey interior yesterday and really wasn't expecting much, based on what I'd seen. I kinda poo poo'd the 6-speed based on the pro reviews, but up to yesterday, I'd only seen a luxury package and Mark Levinson in pics, so I figured I'd just go and check things out. The car had 50K miles on it, which was more than what I was looking for, but man was it clean inside and out. Minimum amount of chips and scratches, much less than some cars I saw with 16k miles. I was expecting the tranny to be a slug based on what I read, but honestly didn't see the big deal. I can't hear shifts on either, unless gunning it and the 6 seems to kick down way faster when stomped on! In the long run, I may miss the 8 speed, but I didn't see any reason to pass on this gem based on that alone.

It's great to be back in the GS family and than you all for all the good info. The first GS we bought was 5 years old with 60K mikes and we drove it 13 years and put an additional 130K miles on it. Hopefully, this one will go the distance too. I cringe a bit with all the electronic wizardry on it, but hoping for the best. Will no doubt have better luck with it than most other cars I considered. Amazing the amount of reported problems with so many cars these days. It's what pushed me back to the Lexus brand again.

See you all around.

Cheers!

Last edited by rj4510; 03-22-18 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-22-18, 04:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
Hi All,

Haven't posted on the GS forum in quite a while. A few years back, we had to finally part ways with out GS 400 and have been wanting that sport sedan feel back. Have lurked here for quite a while reading up and was pretty bent on getting a 14 or 15. For some reason everything I came across had been beaten and unloved. Was staying away from the 13, because I read several pro reviewers mocking the 6-speed for being outdated, etc. I was pretty happy with the drive of the 8-speed and had never driven the "old style" tranny. Found a 13 Blue Mica with light grey interior yesterday and really wasn't expecting much, based on what I'd seen. I kinda poo poo'd the 6-speed based on the pro reviews, but up to yesterday, I'd only seen a luxury package and Mark Levinson in pics, so I figured I'd just go and check things out. The car had 50K miles on it, which was more than what I was looking for, but man was it clean inside and out. Minimum amount of chips and scratches, much less than some cars I saw with 16k miles. I was expecting the tranny to be a slug based on what I read, but honestly didn't see the big deal. I can't hear shifts on either, unless gunning it and the 6 seems to kick down way faster when stomped on! In the long run, I may miss the 8 speed, but I didn't see any reason to pass on this gem based on that alone.

It's great to be back in the GS family and than you all for all the good info. The first GS we bought was 5 years old with 60K mikes and we drove it 13 years and put an additional 130K miles on it. Hopefully, this one will go the distance too. I cringe a bit with all the electronic wizardry on it, but hoping for the best. Will no doubt have better luck with it than most other cars I considered. Amazon the amount of reported problems with so many cars these days. It's what pushed me back to the Lexus brand again.

See you all around.

Cheers!
The 6-speed transmission is considered by many to be the better transmission, over the 8-speed. The 6-speed transmission doesn't 'hunt' anywhere near as much as the 8-speed does.

Enjoy the GS 350!
Old 03-22-18, 05:09 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The 6-speed transmission is considered by many to be the better transmission, over the 8-speed. The 6-speed transmission doesn't 'hunt' anywhere near as much as the 8-speed does.

Enjoy the GS 350!
bclexus is absolutely right. I have the '13 with a six speed tranny and have never felt like it was too slow or inadequate. Those older GS400's and 430's with the V8s were smooth as silk and were solid engines. The V6 in the current generation is very refined (not as much as the V8 of maybe an older GS460 or LS460) but its just right for this level of car.

Its good to be patient and glad to hear you seemed to get the right car for the right price. Congrats on the purchase and post some pics
Old 03-22-18, 07:26 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Bet you haven't even tried the downshift rev match in M mode. It's addictive. Nothing wrong with the 6sp at all.
Old 03-22-18, 07:29 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Don’t have a picture other than one I had copied from the dealer’s website at this point.

Good to know about the 6-speed. I had searched here a few times, but came up empty handed, so figured it was a non-issue. Looks like I won’t regret or miss the 8-speed.

Old 03-22-18, 07:40 PM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase you definitely won't regret having the six speed, I have the 14 GS AWD the 6 speed is a beast.