GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

HELP! 2015 Lexus GS 350 F Sport POPPING FROM BRAKES

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-18, 04:56 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by er34
My recommended dealership in the GTA is Ken Shaw, their sales and service department are both top notch in my experience. The absolute worst are DVNL and RH. Erin Park is pretty shady too. Never dealt with Oakville. It's too bad there are so many poor Lexus dealerships but at least there's many to choose from within 100km.
I've heard great things about Ken Shaw too. Erin Park is strange because they have to drive your car to another building to do servicing from where you drop the car off, and I think that's weird, and I also don't want any staff member driving my car ever for long periods, because those guys at Lexus of Oakville put 37km on my car last year when they didn't do an alignment right the first time, and I had to bring it back (another reason why I will never go back...probably used my car to do errands). I don't think you need to drive more than 30km to check an alignment. Very shady.
Old 03-23-18, 09:25 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
OP==I apologize, I honestly did not realize our AWD models do not have the 2 piece rotors. Guess I better stop opening my trap before knowing all the facts. Sorry about that.

The pin or perhaps oversized or elongated holes on the pads and brake carrier tightness would be worth a look. I have to believe the stealerships checked but I"m thinking trust and verify here.

Another totally off the wall idea is anything related to the brake pedal assembly or the brake line retainers. Any obstructions, loose joints, etc. Hope you can get this sorted out.

Went to an another mechanic shop today one I've known for very long (Autotrax Inc near Weston and Steeles). They reinstalled the pads for me checked the brake retention pin (no damage is perfect) checked if the caliper was good (tight) & looked at the brake pads everything looks good and tight . The mechanic took it for a quick road test and couldn't replicate the sound said everything seemed fine and that if it was popping he doesn't feel that it would be the brakes because it should happen all the time or more than occasional. I haven't heard any loud pops for about a day or so but it is now much warmer weather outside really weird. Once thing he suggested is perhaps the brakes get sticky in the cold and once warmed up may exhibit no issues. Hes not too sure because he didn't hear the noise and i insisted he reinstall the pads because I wanted to make sure everything was done right. The only thing i've heard more recently since the weather got warm is the a very very small pop (which is normal for these types of brakes I think well thats what Lexus told me anyways and it always did that since the beginning of the car).

I'm hoping i don't get that loud pop clank/slap sound that i would get here and there. Hopefully it was something silly for now ill keep my fingers crossed as another member also has akebono pads on oem rotors without issues so hopefully there are no issues.
Old 03-23-18, 09:27 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
Is this the white 2015 F-Sport you bought from that dealer a year ago? If so, I test drove it.
Yes it is. Was the front grille dipped in black versus chrome and the exhaust wrapped in carbon fiber? If so its the same one. Lmao did you like it?
Old 03-23-18, 09:28 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Not for the GS, but for this type of caliper, I've seen this happen. Here is one example:
https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...g-forward.html

Also, check all the caliper bolts are tightened properly(though I assume the dealer already checked this.)
​​​​​​

Everything seems fine had a mechanic look at it.
Old 03-23-18, 09:34 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Hey fellow Torontonian, this pop sound, does it also happen when you release the brakes and accelerate? I sometimes get a sound sort of like two billiard ***** hitting each other. The service manager at Lexus of Oakville (where I go to as well; love the front staff, not the warranty guy who wouldn't warranty my Nav screen when it keeps resetting, so I won't ever spend any more service dollars there) told me it's the brake pads springing back when the brakes are released and the rotors turn with the wheels upon acceleration.

I say try two things: Make sure you have brake pad shims. The OEM set up I recall has 3 shims per side. If you don't have any shims, or they're aftermarket shims, try taking out the pads, put a thin layer of silicone on the backing of the pads, and see if that helps. The silicone will create a cushioning effect that might eliminate noises. I used to do this on my other cars when I used aftermarket pads that didn't come with brake pad shims. (I always prefer OEM pads and shims for the nice, solid fit personally). Our brakes are pretty easy to do. I did my front pads and rotors on my own after Lexus of Oakville quoted me like $700 (LoL).

It does sound like that and it does happen upon releasing the brakes and accelerating. But most of the time it is upon braking (haven't heard the noise for about 2 days so im hoping its gone doubt it though lol). Lexus told me the same thing about the spring but the pop noise with the Akebono brake pads sounded like something was broken not some small pop. i had a mechanic look at it today and he told me it looks tight and the brake pads wouldn't be moving around (lexus would tell me it moved around and only way to fix it is to go with oem). I asked this mechanic about the shims issue but he told me something along the lines that even without shims the brake pads would sit fine and the caliper would squeeze them either way for the tightness (don't remember exactly what he said). But he basically showed me that the pads were tight and were definitely not moving around (he had it on the hoist with the wheel off and showed me this was true). Never had this loud pop until i installed these Akebono pro ct pads but other members have them on their cars without issues. So to me this is a mystery.
Old 03-23-18, 09:39 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Wow we should do a Toronto 4GS meet. I definitely don't see many 4GS around(I'm in Mississauga). I only recently started seeing a 2015 Nebula Grey driving around in my neighborhood. I always keep an eye on AutoTrader for nice GS samples too, there's never that many of them listed.

My recommended dealership in the GTA is Ken Shaw, their sales and service department are both top notch in my experience. The absolute worst are DVNL and RH. Erin Park is pretty shady too. Never dealt with Oakville. It's too bad there are so many poor Lexus dealerships but at least there's many to choose from within 100km.

I am definitely going to go to Ken Shaw if i hear this sound again. Called them up today just to describe my situation and they told me it may be an issue with the pads moving around because it doesn't sit like the oem pads(apparently oem pads are lighter) but they won't say because they haven't looked at it or test drove it. Ken Shaw told me it was 72.50 to diagnose (no issues with that) meanwhile I just had this diagnosed at Lexus of Downtown(like a week ago) who tried to make me do a full brake job again and charged e $168.00 for a diagnosis lmao.

Before these aftermarket pads i never had this Loud clank/pop it was always just small pops (nothing major). Haven't heard any noise in like two days so im hoping that its gone because of warmer weather now (weird lol). Other members have used the same Akebono Pro Ct pads with no issues so my issues are somewhat of a mystery. Fingers crossed.

Also i'm all for a meet but not if my car continues to make loud pops/clanks that would be the most embarrassing first meet LOL. I don't see many 4th gen Gs's around my area either I live in Vaughan.
Old 03-23-18, 10:42 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gs350lex
Yes it is. Was the front grille dipped in black versus chrome and the exhaust wrapped in carbon fiber? If so its the same one. Lmao did you like it?
Hahaha, what a funny coincidence. I loved your car, haha, and not to worry, I did not floor it nor drive it hard when I tested it. Everyone's rich here in Oakville, so they tolerate no negotiation on pricing of their cars, but I'm glad you got the car and that she runs well.
Old 03-23-18, 11:38 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350lex
It does sound like that and it does happen upon releasing the brakes and accelerating. But most of the time it is upon braking (haven't heard the noise for about 2 days so im hoping its gone doubt it though lol). Lexus told me the same thing about the spring but the pop noise with the Akebono brake pads sounded like something was broken not some small pop. i had a mechanic look at it today and he told me it looks tight and the brake pads wouldn't be moving around (lexus would tell me it moved around and only way to fix it is to go with oem). I asked this mechanic about the shims issue but he told me something along the lines that even without shims the brake pads would sit fine and the caliper would squeeze them either way for the tightness (don't remember exactly what he said). But he basically showed me that the pads were tight and were definitely not moving around (he had it on the hoist with the wheel off and showed me this was true). Never had this loud pop until i installed these Akebono pro ct pads but other members have them on their cars without issues. So to me this is a mystery.
If the pop sound happens both on braking and releasing the brakes ... and when accelerating - why do you you think the problem is with the brakes? I would look more for a suspension bushing (e.g. sway/torsion bar) or broken motor mount causing the pop sound.
Old 03-24-18, 01:29 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Hey fellow Torontonian, this pop sound, does it also happen when you release the brakes and accelerate? I sometimes get a sound sort of like two billiard ***** hitting each other. The service manager at Lexus of Oakville (where I go to as well; love the front staff, not the warranty guy who wouldn't warranty my Nav screen when it keeps resetting, so I won't ever spend any more service dollars there) told me it's the brake pads springing back when the brakes are released and the rotors turn with the wheels upon acceleration.

I say try two things: Make sure you have brake pad shims. The OEM set up I recall has 3 shims per side. If you don't have any shims, or they're aftermarket shims, try taking out the pads, put a thin layer of silicone on the backing of the pads, and see if that helps. The silicone will create a cushioning effect that might eliminate noises. I used to do this on my other cars when I used aftermarket pads that didn't come with brake pad shims. (I always prefer OEM pads and shims for the nice, solid fit personally). Our brakes are pretty easy to do. I did my front pads and rotors on my own after Lexus of Oakville quoted me like $700 (LoL).

So i was reversing into a parking spot today and when turning the wheel left and changing from D to R it did exactly that and sounded like two billiard ***** hitting each other but usually this sound would be much louder and sound like a clack like two metal things hitting each other. I want to change back to the oem pads (dont really care about the dust) but doesn't the squeak bother you on the oem pads(it used to make me annoyed kind of why i changed it out could have been old pads though)? Anyways that loud clack sound I haven't heard for 2 days now and aside from that noise I heard this morning (which is the sound i've been hearing lately) I havent really heard anything. I am sure though that the brake pads are moving around or something. I know there would be less chance with the oems but then I would have to deal with the squeak which is what i'm afraid of. The only thing that has changed is the weather, and it is much warmer now. Perhaps my aftermarket pads were defective but upon inspection no mechanic has seen anything but a friend of mine told me you wouldn't even know if they were defective it could be something so minimal causing it and you wouldn't know. OEM seems to be my only solution (might just buy the parts and have my trusted mechanic install them with the fitting kits).

Last edited by gs350lex; 03-24-18 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-24-18, 01:34 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Hahaha, what a funny coincidence. I loved your car, haha, and not to worry, I did not floor it nor drive it hard when I tested it. Everyone's rich here in Oakville, so they tolerate no negotiation on pricing of their cars, but I'm glad you got the car and that she runs well.

Ya they were pretty rough on the price got them to drop 4000 on their asking though so i didn't want to let this car go. Really liked it. Anyways what car did you end up picking up & what colour?
Old 03-24-18, 02:03 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Wow, you got them to budge, good job. I originally wanted a GS, but couldn't find one used I liked in good shape that was priced low, so I ended up with a Nebula Gray Pearl 2014 IS350 with 35,000km, which ended up working out better because I like having the split folding rear seats.

Regarding brake noise, I have zero squeaks. That's because when I did my brakes, I cleaned all the hardware thoroughly, so mine are smooth and free-moving.
Old 03-26-18, 03:45 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

So just an update now with warmer weather i don't hear the loud sound i was describing earlier. However I do get the occasional pop here and there. I decided to book an appointment at Ken Shaw Lexus this afternoon and within an hour of being there they found the problem test drove it and didn't charge me anything for diagnosing it. The service person informed me that it was 100% coming from the brakes from the pads shifting in the caliper and the reason it is louder in the winter is because it takes longer for the aftermarket pads to warm up and work accordingly (something about them expanding and compressing within the caliper). They gave me free food and didn't charge me for any diagnosis what more can i ask for. Lexus of oakville would just test drive it (they also wouldn't charge me) and say nothings wrong bye. However Ken Shaw Lexus explained the problem to me and said the solution is to replace the rotors the brake pads and all the hardware. The service person did advise me though that this is a known issue and others have experiencing similar issues but usually because their shims needed to be replaced. If i recall my aftermarket pads do not come with shims so that may explain them moving. Either way the service person did not force me to do any brake work or pressure me in any way he just told me if i was you i'd just drive it put some kms on it (since the rotors are fairly new(they were replaced by oakville and only have 2,000kms wish I didn't do it there) and the pads are fairly new as well(but are aftermarket) and if the noise really bothers you (i get more than the usual pop than with the oem pads since I believe they are moving around more) then replace it but since it does not affect safety there is no reason to.

He quoted me $435 for parts $210 for labor for a front pad and rotor replacement if i choose to do so in the future. He told me that the rotors do have to be replaced with the pads if you want this noise eliminated because the new pads must bed in properly with the new rotors and using my existing rotors may not eliminate the cause since they have had people in the past with this issue and it was only solved by replacing both rotors and pads with all hardware. Now i don't know if i believe that but it is what it is. With this warmer temperature i am not getting a lot of noise and its rare now compared to when it was colder. What are your thoughts fellow Lexus members? Should i replace just the fronts ($653+tax for rotors and pads and hardware) then i can do rears later in the future (but the rears are virtually noise free in regards to the pops) or should i continue to drive like the service person thought i should and live with it for a few thousand kms? I'm pretty sure doing the brake job in the front would eliminate the pads from moving around however i know other members here have the akebono pads on oem rotors without any issues (however when i told the service person about this he just responded that not all the GS's exhibit the same problem). Something about us having F-sport brakes so its a little bit more complicated and usually pads and rotors must be replaced together. I'm a little skeptical as I never trust any dealerships but Ken Shaw has been the best Lexus dealer I've been too so far (I've been to Oakville, Downtown, (went once to Don valley for a quick test drive but wanted to get out of there asap since they tried to make me do random stuff on my car I refused it all Lmao).

Sorry for the long post this is my update and I'm pretty sure this was the problem all along.