GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

need you opinion on GS 350 f AWD 2017/18

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 08:45 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteoutMD
Was the DRCC an option on 2016 models or a standard feature.
my 2016 has it but looks like it was an option for just under $1k. It’s part of Lexus Safety System +.
Old 03-17-18, 08:54 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Your 21-24 is that in Sport mode or eco mode? another question in my TL when the cars gas light comes on and the miles to empty goes to 0 it still has 3 gallons in the tank and at 24 miles to the gallon I drove on empty all the time because I new I could go 75 miles before I really was out of gas lol. So the question is are you filling it up before the car say empty? how many gallons are left in the gs after the DTE says 0. Does this make sense to you? I ask because I really don't want to have to get gas more than I am now which is every 4 days. The gs has a larger tank the the 2005 tl by .4 so if your saying 21-24 mix driving I think it will work for me. Thanks again for your input
I typically like to drive ECO mode although as anyone here on the forums can tell you, it makes very little difference what mode you are in. ECO mode restricts your throttle response by keeping you in a lower gear and lowers the A/C output but that's about it. And if you go WOT, your mode will not matter whatsoever. I keep it ECO for the drives and go WOT if I need the feel to just gun it. I like the softer suspension. If you want a stiffer suspension and faster response time, go with Normal or Sport/Sport+ mode. Just remember, your fuel economy is based off your driving habits and how heavy you press on your gas pedal, no mode is going to change that. And you safely get 2 gallons after the range hits 0 miles, most likely more but I won't test that theory .
Old 03-17-18, 09:03 AM
WhiteoutMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC

my 2016 has it but looks like it was an option for just under $1k. It’s part of Lexus Safety System +.
Thanks I will look for some used 2016 now with Lexus Safety System +
Old 03-17-18, 09:12 AM
WhiteoutMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I typically like to drive ECO mode although as anyone here on the forums can tell you, it makes very little difference what mode you are in. ECO mode restricts your throttle response by keeping you in a lower gear and lowers the A/C output but that's about it. And if you go WOT, your mode will not matter whatsoever. I keep it ECO for the drives and go WOT if I need the feel to just gun it. I like the softer suspension. If you want a stiffer suspension and faster response time, go with Normal or Sport/Sport+ mode. Just remember, your fuel economy is based off your driving habits and how heavy you press on your gas pedal, no mode is going to change that. And you safely get 2 gallons after the range hits 0 miles, most likely more but I won't test that theory .
I'm not a normal person on the DTE but when you have as predictable commute as I do it is not nerve racking to me . So it looks like I would get about the same millage on a tank as my TL. So after DTE hits 0 it still has 2 gallons probably more like 2.5 or 3 LOL that an additional say 50 that puts me just over 400 miles on a tank. You said mix driving 360 on a tank + the 2 gallons after DTE 0 so 410 maybe and that would work.

Has any GS 350 f sport driver ever got 400 on a tank of Gas?
Old 03-17-18, 01:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have easily exceeded 400 highway miles on a tank. On pure highway I get 25-28 mpg, it’s around town mileage that stinks.
Old 03-17-18, 05:18 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have easily exceeded 400 highway miles on a tank. On pure highway I get 25-28 mpg, it’s around town mileage that stinks.
I do about the same. I consistently get 24-26 mpg in town, 28-30 on the highway with my 2013 RWD f-Sport (26.5 mpg on my latest tank, 100% city driving.). Multiply that times 17. My mileage is the same regardless of the mode, eco, sport, etc. I use intermediate grade fuel, but see no difference in performance or gas mileage with any grade of fuel. I drove my 1994 SC400 for almost 20 years on regular gas and never had an issue. It is all a matter of your driving style.

Last edited by ECL; 03-20-18 at 09:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WhiteoutMD (03-22-18)
Old 04-11-18, 02:24 AM
itsAQ
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your 21-24 is that in Sport mode or eco mode? another question in my TL when the cars gas light comes on and the miles to empty goes to 0 it still has 3 gallons in the tank and at 24 miles to the gallon I drove on empty all the time because I new I could go 75 miles before I really was out of gas lol. So the question is are you filling it up before the car say empty? how many gallons are left in the gs after the DTE says 0. Does this make sense to you? I ask because I really don't want to have to get gas more than I am now which is every 4 days. The gs has a larger tank the the 2005 tl by .4 so if your saying 21-24 mix driving I think it will work for me. Thanks again for your input
As I am reading through this thread, I’ve come to realize that your concern for miledge, cost of gas per days, what type of gas to use or concern bout how many miles you can extract from zero, all points to the fact that the GS350 might not be the car for you RIGHT NOW.

When I first started looking I looked at a E350 and 535i. While both bested the GS in terms of power and comfort, I find myself thinking bout realiability and long term stability time and time again.

The GS is an amazing car and as durable as can be. However, majority owners of GS350s don’t buy a car with the idea of taking shortcuts as concerns.

Definitely not meaning to be rude in any way. Just thought you might want to take a step back and see what’s really important to you when upgrading.
Old 04-11-18, 07:15 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I had a 2003 TL-S for 9 years before moving to a 2011 GS-350 AWD and then a '15 GS-350 AWD FSport.
I thought the maintenance was more on the Acura than on the Lexus. My '11 GS which I've kept for 5 years(80K miles) did not cost me anything more than regular maintenance(except a pair of front rotors). The Acura though needed several rotor replacements and two front ball joints, loose engine mount. The transmission, which was an issue for this generation model, started to slip at 140K miles and that's when I moved on. Sure, I've kept the Acura longer than the '11 GS but I felt like I came out of the dealer with a heftier bill with the acura everytime than the GS. The new A-Spec TL looks very good. I went to look at it but did not test drive it as I'm very unlikely to go back to Acura.

With that kind of a commute, You should be getting more than 20MPG. I'm doing ~23MPG on my '15 AWD F sport and my commute is mainly small roads with average speed of 35MPH and no stop traffic. I get about 320miles before the fuel light comes on. You should definitely take a look at it and don't let anyone tell you this car, or any car for that matter, is not for you. You have to drive it.
Old 04-11-18, 10:08 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
I had a 2003 TL-S for 9 years before moving to a 2011 GS-350 AWD and then a '15 GS-350 AWD FSport.
I thought the maintenance was more on the Acura than on the Lexus. My '11 GS which I've kept for 5 years(80K miles) did not cost me anything more than regular maintenance(except a pair of front rotors). The Acura though needed several rotor replacements and two front ball joints, loose engine mount. The transmission, which was an issue for this generation model, started to slip at 140K miles and that's when I moved on. Sure, I've kept the Acura longer than the '11 GS but I felt like I came out of the dealer with a heftier bill with the acura everytime than the GS. The new A-Spec TL looks very good. I went to look at it but did not test drive it as I'm very unlikely to go back to Acura.

With that kind of a commute, You should be getting more than 20MPG. I'm doing ~23MPG on my '15 AWD F sport and my commute is mainly small roads with average speed of 35MPH and no stop traffic. I get about 320miles before the fuel light comes on. You should definitely take a look at it and don't let anyone tell you this car, or any car for that matter, is not for you. You have to drive it.
I too had a 2003 Acura TL-S, went through 4 transmission and lots of motor mounts, had a 2005 Acura RL and had an issue with motor mounts. I have an 07 GS350 with 160K and this thing is bullet proof aside from needing brakes and regular maintenance. I am in the works of buying a 2016/2017 GS350 F Sport for my fiancé and expect the same Lexus reliability I have had in my past two (another was an 01 ES300 with 220K). Acuras have little things that break over time and require that stupid timing belt change. Never encountered such in my Lexus's (Note: I was an Acura fanboy for a long time)
Old 04-11-18, 06:39 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the INFO my research says 2017-18 was the start of the DRCC so you confirmed that. The Hybrid is just so expensive I would get it but man the $$$$ I have looked for 2017 hybrid used one very hard to find if at all. I drove the GS 350 f and its much nicer than my acura 2005 tl. It looks like brakes last 2 yrs from the commennts on a not heavy breaker like my self I can live with that. I think I need to evaluate if the gas millage part is a deal breaker for me I'm not sure. I really dont want to go to the gas station more than I go now witch is every 4 days. My commute is 50 miles one way 100 round trip half traffic half highway speed. my TL get 410-430 a tank so that my every 4 days. I really like the reviews on the seat in the GS. On a side not I really dont like any new body styles in the 4 sedan lines from all the other manufactures I like the GS lines. Thanks again for your information.

That's not true I have a 2016 GS and it has DRCC and all the other safety features the 17-18 it's the same car
Old 04-11-18, 07:09 PM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
This is a better quality video with instructions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6dkeLLBfYY

I get around 21 to 24mpg and about 360 miles on a tank on mixed city/hwy driving.

Same. I went in to buy a RX350F and bought the GS350F AWD.
My 350 F Sport is at the dealership getting its sunroof repaired and they gave me a new RX 350 loaner...I miss my GS
Old 04-11-18, 08:20 PM
sakuragrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you will not get 410 to 425 with a GS. I drive like a grandma with ECO mode on and I will grieve at the pump.

Hmm, never tried using regular and I probably never will. I am going to continue following what's recommended by manufacturer.

I think the GS can do cruise control starting at 40 mph. I never tried. Maybe it's an option, ask a dealer.
Old 04-12-18, 07:35 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

I've owned a 2013 GS 350 AWD for just over 3 months. I've driven about 3500 miles and in the city stop&go traffic, I'm averaging about 19-21MPG. On the vacation highway my best on flat level Florida road was 28MPG. My mixed mileage is about 23.5MPG. I have gone well over 450 miles per tank on the highway. I regularly get at least 400 without the gas light coming on.

I would echo some other sentiments that if absolute range and fuel costs are an issue, the GS is probably going to be your favorite mistake. Would the dealer allow you an extended overnight test drive? Pick it up one evening, drive it to work and back to see what your mileage is. It's simple to figure out the range based on tank size from your sample commute.

I have mixed gas when I've had to. I have put regular 87 into the tank if I have at least half a tank of 93 already. That averages out to at least 90. I have never heard this motor ping and I'm very good at hearing it. If riding with people and they have ping I will interrupt a conversation to tell them they need to change brands of gas or use higher octane gas. If they don't, their motor will die a horrible death at some inopportune time. But that's just me.

In your case of running to near empty, the mixing strategy is not going to work if you run it that low on fuel. You would definitely have to stop more often to mix your gas.

Last edited by Knucklebus; 04-12-18 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-12-18, 08:39 AM
Pacman9270
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if you can get 400 miles to a GS 350 tank. I toggle between modes, depending on traffic conditions and I get about 19.5mpg in city. I've averaged about 23-24mpg on hwy. Just get an overnight test drive with the car to see if you like it. I got an extended test drive with a used one and I bought it. Love the smooth ride, acceleration, and turning. Inside finishings are top notch. It's just a great car for me so far. Go test drive it!
Old 04-12-18, 11:00 AM
psaav
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm getting 20-24mpg from mixed highway and city driving(65/35 highway/city) on my 17 AWD GS. I put an AEM air filter in it early on after 4000 miles and that seemed to help a bit. Another thing I'll add is the infotainment control, in my opinion, is much better than newer Acuras. My wife has a 16 MDX Advance and having to look at 2 smaller screens and hit the screen multiple times to complete functions is a big pain to me. I am in the minority around here and feel the mouse control and function buttons in the GS are a breeze to operate once you learn the appropriate feel. No comparison in the interior finish either with the GS much more of a luxury look and feel.

Quick Reply: need you opinion on GS 350 f AWD 2017/18