GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Compass Spinning out of control

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 02:20 PM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Compass Spinning out of control

Hi, Today my Navigation map started spinning and it appears to be related to compass. The GPS appears to be working fine, as it knows where I am and takes me to proper destination etc. However, when I display the compass on the navigation screen, it goes in constant 360 circles and only stops when the car is not in motion. Anyone have any idea what's going on? I tried Navigation Calibration and also tried disconnecting the battery, but nothing works. Thanks in advance for any comments. It's a 2013 GS, so my warranty is long gone. Thanks,
Old 03-14-18, 04:17 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Are you sure that you are not just in the 'Heading-Up' NAV mode?

There is a 'North-Up' mode and a 'Heading-Up' mode. The symbol is located on the NAV screen in the upper left-hand corner. Clicking on this symbol changes the mode to the opposite mode. When in the Heading-Up mode the map will rotate as you change direction so the NAV's car screen indicator always travels in the up direction, thus the name 'Heading-Up'. Conversely, when in the North-Up mode the map will always be in the North is oriented up, and the NAV's car screen indicator will always travel in whatever direction the car is moving (e.g. S, SW, W, NW, etc.), which will have the NAV's car car screen indicator moving toward 6 o'clock, 7:30, 9 o'clock, 10:30, etc. instead of always straight up like in the Heading-Up mode.

This symbol (in the upper left-hand corner of the NAV screen) indicates whether the map orientation is set to North-Up or Heading-Up. Selecting this symbol changes the map orientation. Both North-Up and Heading-Up symbols display the vehicle's direction as a letter (e.g. N for north).
Old 03-14-18, 05:23 PM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Yes. When I'm in Head's up mode, the entire map continuously goes round and round very fast. When I'm in North Up mode, I can see the arrow, which represents the direction of the car, continuously and quickly going around the small circle that's surrounds the arrow representing the car on the NAV screen. When I display the compass in the small window to the right of the NAV screen, the directional arrow goes in a circle from N-W-E-S, again very quickly when I am moving straight. Clearly, the compass is very confused, which must be the same information fed into the NAV screen to show direction of the vehicle. Does anyone know what mechanism, chip or other electronics in the car, that controls the onboard compass?
Old 03-14-18, 06:17 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Have you done (or had done) anything to your NAV or audio system?

It sounds like the system probably just needs to be reset, which I believe must be done by the dealer or (maybe) a reputable car audio/stereo shop with the proper know-how and equipment. The dealer will likely have an update for your system's firmware ... not to be confused with a map update.
Old 03-14-18, 10:48 PM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Thanks BC. I’ve done nothing to the NAV or audio system. In fact, it just happened today after driving for around 30 minutes. What does a reset do? I did disconnect the battery and the system did restart and I got a message not to turn off the power while it was loading from the internal storage.
Old 03-15-18, 07:39 AM
nerv81
Driver

I'm at work now so I can't check but I remember seeing an option within the navi menu to calibrate the navigation. Maybe that will get it set up properly. I think it involves driving the car in a circle a few times so you might want to do it in an empty parking lot.
Old 03-23-18, 09:55 AM
LexusGSFGO
Driver

Hi all, I just had this diagnosed by the Lexis Dealership in my area. It took some time, but was just told that it's the radio/nav/audio unit that needs replacing and will cost nearly $3K. I noticed I can buy a used unit on ebay for less than $500. It seems like an easy install, but I was wondering if anyone has tried to install a used audio unit and whether it should work as plug and play? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks,