GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Taking a Trip, Checking My List

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 01:57 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts
Default Taking a Trip, Checking My List

I'm about to set out on my semiannual trip to Jacksonville, FL. The first one in the Lexus.

0) Glock 21, extra mags (don't leave home without it)
1) Tires aligned, air pressure set
2) Fluids checked and topped
3) Coat of wax to make it slicker and easier to clean
4) Windows tinted
5) Sirius-XM 90 day trial subscription
6) Road snacks and drinks packed
7) Destinations in NAV and in Waze with car charger for phone
8) Good clothes, work clothes and tools (working vacation to help our daughter with "daddy chores" around the house)
9) Sunscreen, bug spray & first aid kit
10) Credit card(s)

What am I missing?

Old 03-08-18, 02:16 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Pump up the spare to 60psi, even better if you have a full size replacement instead of the donut.
Old 03-08-18, 03:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Need to bring some good tunes...

Be safe and enjoy your road trip and time with your daughter!
Old 03-08-18, 03:35 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

Those bills look like mine. Please PM me so you can safely return them to me! Keep an eye out for Christy Brinkley in her red Ferrari!
Old 03-08-18, 04:40 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

In this day & age, I find your picture & #10 on your list redundant. Other than that, I don't see the point of posting the picture, lol. Unless of course, you're considering donating a portion of it to the "best answer."

Not sure how long you're going for - but perhaps consider adding an umbrella? You never know about the weather when it comes to FL.

Safe travels,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 03-08-18, 05:27 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Those bills look like mine. Please PM me so you can safely return them to me! Keep an eye out for Christy Brinkley in her red Ferrari!
Lol I was thinking same thing like "is this a trip to wally world?"
Old 03-08-18, 06:35 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Would have also like to see the real money shot of the glock.
Old 03-08-18, 06:41 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

I checked the spare. My gauge only goes to 50 but it pegged it. Good to go.

I also added a window shade for those bright FL days. I just hope there are a few of them.

The latest addition to my list was a rotten deck board to be replaced.

As for the pic of the money, Cash is KING! You can't always get unjammed from a credit card. Here's one of my GS with tinted windows.

No, not a Disney trip and I do have an umbrella. Actually have one in every car I own and one in the office just in case it rains after I'm inside. I have my own parking spot up front at work so I have a shorter distance to walk than most.

I did find out my wife just lost her job today but she gets paid until the end of June so it's all good.

Old 03-09-18, 03:28 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

A quick detailer and a couple spare rags.
Old 03-09-18, 06:10 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like you're good to go. Safe travels enjoy your trip.
Old 03-09-18, 06:46 AM
SpicedRum
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

For trips out of town, regardless of the vehicle I carry a few items to keep Murphy at bay.

-Small pieces of plywood (12"x6" or so) to sit under the jack for soft or uneven ground
-Air compressor, tire gauge and a tire repair kit
-A good flashlight with a strobe setting (use instead of flares)
-A few spare fuses that may not be included in the spares in these fuse box (I haven't even looked at the GS fuse box yet!)
-Smaller bills and change for tolls.
-Spare cell phone cord
-Paper map. I'm old school...I use the iphone and resort to paper should the navigation apps act up (which they used to do more than recently).
-Plenty of spare water and snacks.

I don't carry across state lines but rather have a club, pepper spray and a damn intimidating combat knife. I've never had to use them preferring to use my brain as the best self-defense tool.

If it's cold and winter I'll carry some other items but KY to FL should not require those (hopefully, right!!)
Old 03-09-18, 08:10 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
For trips out of town, regardless of the vehicle I carry a few items to keep Murphy at bay.

-Small pieces of plywood (12"x6" or so) to sit under the jack for soft or uneven ground
-Air compressor, tire gauge and a tire repair kit
-A good flashlight with a strobe setting (use instead of flares)
-A few spare fuses that may not be included in the spares in these fuse box (I haven't even looked at the GS fuse box yet!)
-Smaller bills and change for tolls.
-Spare cell phone cord
-Paper map. I'm old school...I use the iphone and resort to paper should the navigation apps act up (which they used to do more than recently).
-Plenty of spare water and snacks.

I don't carry across state lines but rather have a club, pepper spray and a damn intimidating combat knife. I've never had to use them preferring to use my brain as the best self-defense tool.

If it's cold and winter I'll carry some other items but KY to FL should not require those (hopefully, right!!)
From KY to FL are all reciprocal on CCW so I'm pretty well covered. I have the NAV in the car and Waze plus I know this route quite well by heart.

I have a spare battery pack that will charge my phone 3 times without needing to recharge it as well as an extra cord.

We have a paper box full of snacks and an 8 pack of 20oz Gatorades for the trip down. We stop half way in McDonough, GA so I can swing by the Summit store.

We should be good. We'll see what the GS gets in MPG. I've done 41MPG in a 2012 Civic, 33MPG in an HR-V AWD and 20MPG in a 4x4 Tundra.
Old 03-09-18, 08:38 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I read your list and I just got the re-upped the 6 months for 38.63 for the XM Satellite. I don't know why they just make that the plan price permanently. Nobody is spending $12-15 a month for radio. I also re-up my Lexus Safety remote plan for $160 /yr. I was very hesitant to do it, but I do like some of the new features they added and I needed a tow service plan. I also invested in a 64GB USB drive for my music collection (in case my sob story with XM didn't work..LOL). Its not fun to categorize all your MP3s on the drive but once its on there you are good to go. Have a safe trip.
Old 03-09-18, 10:00 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Check your battery and make sure you have jumper cables or one of those portable jumpers. I took a long trip to our beach house on the East Coast and my battery died while we were there.

To be on the safe side I would take a physical map with your route highlighted and print out a Map quest, can't always rely on NAV systems working 100% of the time.
Old 03-09-18, 10:28 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by teezee1000
I read your list and I just got the re-upped the 6 months for 38.63 for the XM Satellite. I don't know why they just make that the plan price permanently. Nobody is spending $12-15 a month for radio. I also re-up my Lexus Safety remote plan for $160 /yr. I was very hesitant to do it, but I do like some of the new features they added and I needed a tow service plan. I also invested in a 64GB USB drive for my music collection (in case my sob story with XM didn't work..LOL). Its not fun to categorize all your MP3s on the drive but once its on there you are good to go. Have a safe trip.
I've got 6G of music on my phone and bluetooth works. Too bad XM doesn't let you do an ala-carte system. I only need about 3 stations.

Quick Reply: Taking a Trip, Checking My List