GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Go WOT (Wide Open Throttle) In Your GS 350?
Several times a day
24.51%
Once a day
21.57%
Once a week
29.41%
Once a month
16.67%
Never
7.84%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

How Often Do You Go WOT (Wide Open Throttle) In Your GS 350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 06:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Maybe it's about time to bring this thread back in case some haven't voted in the poll...
Old 01-14-19, 06:54 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Occasionally but not very often. After owning V8 muscle through the years, it just doesn't compare.
Old 01-14-19, 06:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
Occasionally but not very often. After owning V8 muscle through the years, it just doesn't compare.
Did you vote? Don't forget to vote...

Everybody vote!
Old 01-14-19, 08:36 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Since getting the GS 3 months ago, just once or twice a day in Normal mode. Now that I've discovered that Sport mode unleashes quite a different animal, I will have to up my average considerably over the next couple of weeks...!
Old 01-15-19, 09:40 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chinee
Since getting the GS 3 months ago, just once or twice a day in Normal mode. Now that I've discovered that Sport mode unleashes quite a different animal, I will have to up my average considerably over the next couple of weeks...!
At WOT the engine performance is the same regardless of which Drive Mode you happen to be in.
Old 01-15-19, 09:45 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
I think the reason for this (in normal driving) is related to the new motor we get in the 2016+ cars. They have the ability to switch between the traditional Otto cycle and the Atkinson cycle (like a Prius) whereas the older GS models don't. I'd wager a bet that in Eco mode when driving as fit for that mode, we're running the Atkinson cycle most of the time whereas I'd bet in Sport mode, we're only running in Otto.

If you ease into full throttle, Sport mode would definitely be quicker as the throttle response at the top of the pedal is significantly enhanced. If you floored it hard in Eco vs Sport, I'd bet there's a slight difference as all of the valvetrain & transmission timing as well as Otto vs Atkinson modes need to changeover whereas in Sport mode, the vehicle is already ready to go.
The following users liked this post:
mrplesh (12-17-19)
Old 01-15-19, 09:50 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
At WOT the engine performance is the same regardless of which Drive Mode you happen to be in.
Supposedly but I really don't think this is 100% accurate. It feels like different methods of achieving nearly the same thing. At freeway speeds, flooring it to the kickdown switch in Eco and Sport S+ is very different. I agree with chinee. Sport mode, especially S+ is really something else. It is a monster at highway speeds in S+ and really just wants to go.

For the record, this is my final post in this thread. I'm not here to argue with you or go back and forth on what you think is correct. These are my thoughts and views based on my experience with my GS. We've got very different vehicles so your mileage may vary.
Old 01-15-19, 10:03 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

How about a new option "many times a day"?

I do several WOT's within a span of minutes, so if I total them up in a day, it would be difficult to justify still calling it "several times a day". Definitely need to go out for a few pulls tonight given we are expecting some snow.
Old 01-15-19, 11:35 AM
PilotX
Driver

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

As often as possible.
Old 01-15-19, 12:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Originally Posted by signdetres
Supposedly but I really don't think this is 100% accurate. It feels like different methods of achieving nearly the same thing. At freeway speeds, flooring it to the kickdown switch in Eco and Sport S+ is very different. I agree with chinee. Sport mode, especially S+ is really something else. It is a monster at highway speeds in S+ and really just wants to go.

For the record, this is my final post in this thread. I'm not here to argue with you or go back and forth on what you think is correct. These are my thoughts and views based on my experience with my GS. We've got very different vehicles so your mileage may vary.
Your comments beg this question, which I hope you will answer: What engine performance parameters (e.g. timing, fuel, etc.) are different at WOT in different Drive Modes?

In what way is your vehicle different, which would be applicable to the topic?
Old 01-15-19, 02:36 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I go WOT in my RC, my electric skateboard, I even WOT my bicycle too.

Anyone know if these cars are limiting the HP in modes other than Sport or +? I feel like I'm not at 300 HP unless I'm in Sport+. The WOT pull isn't the same, especially at high speeds.
Old 01-15-19, 03:11 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts

My wife drives the Lexus most of the time now, so I guess once a week. Standing on it in Manual mode in Sport+, it's a totally different car.
Old 01-15-19, 05:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Anyone know if these cars are limiting the HP in modes other than Sport or +? I feel like I'm not at 300 HP unless I'm in Sport+. The WOT pull isn't the same, especially at high speeds.
The performance of your car may 'feel' different when in different Drive Modes at WOT, but both the engine and the transmission [upshift] parameters (at WOT) are the same (at peak performance) whether you are in Eco or Sport+, or any other Drive Mode between Eco and Sport+.

Originally Posted by bob256k
My wife drives the Lexus most of the time now, so I guess once a week. Standing on it in Manual mode in Sport+, it's a totally different car.
Bob, while your car may 'feel' different when in Manual mode, the engine and the transmission parameters are the same, except in Manual mode 'you' decide when to shift instead of the transmission logic, with one exception - the transmission will upshift automatically at redline whether you are in Manual mode or in Drive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If there were additional throttle and transmission response changes at WOT in Sport or Sport S+ Drive Modes Lexus would advertise that as it would be a great selling point. But that's not the case...

The Drive Modes do not enhance acceleration at WOT. That is why there is only one published 0-60 mph (or 0-100 mph) time rather than 3 or 4 - or one for each Drive Mode. What Lexus does is adjust the throttle input sensitivity that lets you [for example] move the pedal 25% in Eco Mode, which translates to [say] a 15% throttle opening, whereas that same 25% pedal movement in Sport or Sport+ Mode might translate to maybe twice the throttle opening providing a stronger accelerator response, but 'only' at partial throttle conditions. At Wide-Open-Throttle the computer immediately provides peak performance regardless of which Drive Mode you are in.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-15-19 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-15-19, 05:58 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

just switched from takeda back to stock to do some work at the dealership and man, intake makes a big difference. temporarily keeping stock intake on to see if it impacts my mileage at all
Old 01-15-19, 06:06 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by baconRx
just switched from takeda back to stock to do some work at the dealership and man, intake makes a big difference. temporarily keeping stock intake on to see if it impacts my mileage at all
The intake makes a big difference in what?

Quick Reply: How Often Do You Go WOT (Wide Open Throttle) In Your GS 350?