GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Full car with 5 ppl in the GS350 dipped and scrapped the back

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 09:40 PM
gsrsx13
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Full car with 5 ppl in the GS350 dipped and scrapped the back

had a full car of 5 ppl in my car and kept scraping every time I would go over a tiny dip on the highway at 60 mph

have a stock set up with aftermarket 19" rims and stock tire dimensions

is this normal for you guys too?

will stiff coilovers with oem height help with bottoming out and not scraping?
Old 02-20-18, 12:44 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Few factors potentially at play... What year/trim/miles? This really shouldn't be happening at highway speeds over tiny dips, even with 5 passengers... Steep driveways, alright, maybe, but highway speeds... yikes.

Never really thought this'd be an issue in a 4GS but I'd imagine under the right set of circumstances it could be. Higher mileage can lead to increased wear on suspension components, causing them to not compress/rebound/support the vehicle as designed.

In general I'd imagine this would be less likely to occur on an F-Sport as the damping force allows for less float/bounce in the ride and should theoretically be able to cope on the fly and soften/firm as needed to stabilize the ride (same goes for Luxury trims with adaptive dampers). Air suspensions as found in the LS would be best at coping with additional passengers and cargo in most situations as the vehicle's height is automatically raised back to stock height. Unfortunately, air struts aren't available in the GS and leaves us more susceptible to scenarios like these.

Lastly, do you have a rough estimate on total weight of the passengers in the vehicle as well as anything else that may have been in the trunk? The driver's side door jam should have a sticker that tells you the maximum amount of weight/cargo the vehicle is capable of handling. If the GVWR was exceeded, that would be the issue as you'd be putting the vehicle's suspension/chassis through scenarios in which it was not designed to handle.

Very interesting situation, curious to find out more. Hope this can help you get to the bottom of this! (Pun slightly intended)

Last edited by signdetres; 02-20-18 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 03:22 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I have larger aftermarket wheels and that's never happened to me on the highway when loaded with 5 passengers. Take a look at your rear shocks. A few early build GSs had leaking shocks and that could be your culprit.
Old 02-20-18, 05:41 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrsx13
had a full car of 5 ppl in my car and kept scraping every time I would go over a tiny dip on the highway at 60 mph

Definitely not normal. I've had five people in my car on the highway at 75mph with no scraping or bottoming-out but i'm on the stock suspension with AWD and 18" wheels. Are your wheels heavier than stock?

I echo the sentiment of other members - definitely have your suspension components checked and try to figure out if you had more than 1035 lbs of load in the car at the time (passengers, wheel weight, trunk cargo, any accessories).
Old 02-20-18, 06:04 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 245 Likes on 126 Posts

What are the offsets and width of your aftermarket 19" wheels? I think I remember from your pictures your wheels sticking further out. That would play a huge part in your rubbing with a full load even if your suspension is stock. I am lowered on RSR downs and also have aftermarket 19" but the width in the rear is 9.5 and the offset is +42 running the stock 265/35/19 and have no problems with a full load.
Old 02-20-18, 06:05 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Are your aftermarket wheels wider than the stock ones and what is the wheel offset for the new wheels compared to stock? If they are not identical, then you have a chance of scrapping.
The following users liked this post:
gsrsx13 (02-20-18)
Old 02-20-18, 07:47 AM
gsrsx13
Rookie

Originally Posted by TarmacSL3
What are the offsets and width of your aftermarket 19" wheels? I think I remember from your pictures your wheels sticking further out. That would play a huge part in your rubbing with a full load even if your suspension is stock. I am lowered on RSR downs and also have aftermarket 19" but the width in the rear is 9.5 and the offset is +42 running the stock 265/35/19 and have no problems with a full load.
yeah i guess i forgot to mention just a little bit wider from stock
the width in the front and back are an inch wider
so front 9.5
and
back 10.5
will have to check the shocks, the car is at 25k mileage
hmm never thought of that thanks!
Old 02-20-18, 08:01 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

yeah i guess i forgot to mention just a little bit wider from stock
the width in the front and back are an inch wider
so front 9.5
and
back 10.5
will have to check the shocks, the car is at 25k mileage
hmm never thought of that thanks!
Yeah with the 10.5 in the rear you would need anywhere from +45 to +48 for it not to rub, from the looks of your pictures I am thinking your probably +38 to +40. What is the offset for the rears? and is you rubbing only in the rear or front too?
Old 02-20-18, 10:16 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Damn, what was the weight of all five people in the car? And, did you have a couple of 'heavies' in the back seat? Even large commercial 'heavy' aircraft at times need to adjust weight or distribute passengers for proper balance and load for the plane's takeoff trim.
Old 02-20-18, 12:37 PM
raygun17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings

I have not had that issue when I have been fully loaded along with stuff in the trunk. Although I do have an FSport. As mentioned above, that may prevent this issue. Best of Luck with finding a solution!
Old 02-20-18, 12:39 PM
raygun17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,

I have not had this issue when I have 5 people in the car plus stuff in the trunk. Although I do have an FSport, which as mentioned earlier, may preclude me from having this issue. Best of Luck with your situation!
Old 02-20-18, 01:55 PM
gsrsx13
Rookie

Originally Posted by TarmacSL3
Yeah with the 10.5 in the rear you would need anywhere from +45 to +48 for it not to rub, from the looks of your pictures I am thinking your probably +38 to +40. What is the offset for the rears? and is you rubbing only in the rear or front too?
19x9.5 +35
19x10.5 +32

its definitely the offset then

thanks, that means no more full car and no more heavies, even if its family LOL
Old 02-20-18, 02:03 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Tell them passengers to lay off the burgers!!!!!
Old 02-20-18, 02:06 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

19x9.5 +35
19x10.5 +32

Well most of us suspected the 'heavies' idea once reading this post. The good thing is, you got the "ridin' dirty" experience.
Old 02-20-18, 02:21 PM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

19x9.5 +35
19x10.5 +32

Yeah..definitely the offset way too low..your other option is roll the fenders if thats were you think its hitting. Was there visible damage to the tires? If you decide to roll the fenders give Fortune Minds Garage a call (954-765-6906) they are on Commercial west of Powerline and they have this rig to roll the fenders..not the baseball bat method.

Quick Reply: Full car with 5 ppl in the GS350 dipped and scrapped the back