GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

HELP! - GSF Calipers on GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 08:24 AM
raymustac
Driver School Candidate

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you get that bracket made? Also, are they making more or can you point me in the right direction? Thanks
Old 07-17-18, 08:55 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by DaPope10
Ahhh ok... so it looks like he had them and never mounted them. I say that because he says he is not certain if it will fit AWD vs RWD... Well, I will keep everyone updated. Thanks guys!
No, he got it to work. He spent months trying to figure out how to adapt everything. In the end, he bought an entire gs-f rear end and swapped it in because that was the only way it would work. I drove his car and the car that bought the brakes from him. It's an amazing upgrade.
Old 07-17-18, 12:34 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
No, he got it to work. He spent months trying to figure out how to adapt everything. In the end, he bought an entire gs-f rear end and swapped it in because that was the only way it would work. I drove his car and the car that bought the brakes from him. It's an amazing upgrade.

You MUST give me more details!! So he swapped the suspension only, or did he swap the diff as well? Was it bolton or did he have to make serious mods to the body?
Old 07-17-18, 01:02 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bob256k
You MUST give me more details!! So he swapped the suspension only, or did he swap the diff as well? Was it bolton or did he have to make serious mods to the body?
It's been almost 2 years since I helped him do this, so I don't remember exactly what it was. He moved to the other side of the country shortly after parting out the car.

I know the hub and axles were from the GS-F since it's shorter than the normal GS setup. We didn't drop the diff, so that should still be stock. He was running all adjustable aftermarket arms and suspension front and rear, so I'm not sure which stock arms would work (gs350 or gs-f). I remember he had an issue with the parking brakes not working correctly, so he had to pay the dealer to fix it. He must have figured out what was wrong with it after the fact because when he installed it on to the next car it worked without issues.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (07-17-18)
Old 07-17-18, 01:14 PM
eddie420
Forum Moderator

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

It's been almost 2 years since I helped him do this, so I don't remember exactly what it was. He moved to the other side of the country shortly after parting out the car.

I know the hub and axles were from the GS-F since it's shorter than the normal GS setup. We didn't drop the diff, so that should still be stock. He was running all adjustable aftermarket arms and suspension front and rear, so I'm not sure which stock arms would work (gs350 or gs-f). I remember he had an issue with the parking brakes not working correctly, so he had to pay the dealer to fix it. He must have figured out what was wrong with it after the fact because when he installed it on to the next car it worked without issues.
Could you ask him to drop by the forums and maybe post some pictures and some more insight? This is one of those things that I would never do but just eager to learn more about.
Old 07-17-18, 01:31 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eddie420
Could you ask him to drop by the forums and maybe post some pictures and some more insight? This is one of those things that I would never do but just eager to learn more about.
I can ask him, but getting a response from him can be difficult at times since he's usually busy.

I doubt he has pics of his work and it's been so long that he probably forgot about this car already.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (07-17-18)
Old 07-18-18, 10:29 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bob256k
I talked to him last night, and he said the bare minimum to do the swap is the gsf Hub, parking brake motors, calipers, rotors, and pads. That's how he set it up on the new owner's car.

The reason he swapped the axles and all that was for his own needs. The gsf axle will shorten the rear track width which would have allowed him to run a more aggressive wheel fitment.

Something to note: he started off the conversation by telling me not to do the conversion before explaining what was needed. He said that swapping the rear hub is a bit of a nightmare and will take a lot of patience to setup the parking brake. Also, when looking at an aftermarket bbk vs oem bbk the maintenance cost (pads and rotors) is cheaper with aftermarket.
Old 07-18-18, 12:31 PM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

If you're in so cal, we can meet up and I can make a bracket. I have a rear knuckle for the mockup and will just need a driver side caliper and rotor.

I already made a bracket to fit the IS-F rear caliper on IS/GS/RC cars. I would love to create one for GS-F/RC-F rear caliper. the bracket will be very similar to what I already have. It's just the caliper hole that will be moved 5mm.

Here's a guy that created one: https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid...593/parts.aspx

BTW, IS-F front caliper bolts on if you use GS350 f sport 2pc rotors.

with this bracket, there's no need to swap suspension to make it all work. everything is designed as a bolt-on application.

Edit:
I made the rear bracket for GSF caliper for 4th gen GS.

Last edited by 350phi; 03-04-19 at 01:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 350phi:
Neural0 (04-05-20), Supraman18 (01-27-23)
Old 07-18-18, 05:16 PM
jinino
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to him last night, and he said the bare minimum to do the swap is the gsf Hub, parking brake motors, calipers, rotors, and pads. That's how he set it up on the new owner's car.

The reason he swapped the axles and all that was for his own needs. The gsf axle will shorten the rear track width which would have allowed him to run a more aggressive wheel fitment.

Something to note: he started off the conversation by telling me not to do the conversion before explaining what was needed. He said that swapping the rear hub is a bit of a nightmare and will take a lot of patience to setup the parking brake. Also, when looking at an aftermarket bbk vs oem bbk the maintenance cost (pads and rotors) is cheaper with aftermarket.
Was your friend's GS350 a AWD or RWD model?
Old 07-18-18, 08:29 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 350phi
If you're in so cal, we can meet up and I can make a bracket. I have a rear knuckle for the mockup and will just need a driver side caliper and rotor.

I already made a bracket to fit the IS-F rear caliper on IS/GS/RC cars. I would love to create one for GS-F/RC-F rear caliper. the bracket will be very similar to what I already have. It's just the caliper hole that will be moved 5mm.

Here's a guy that created one: https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid...593/parts.aspx

with this bracket, there's no need to swap suspension to make it all work. everything is designed as a bolt-on application.
I am in socal, but I have no need for the brackets. I don't have a GS. I saw this thread pop up and decided to reply to it to provide insight into the conversion.

Originally Posted by jinino
Was your friend's GS350 a AWD or RWD model?
RWD, I don't think it matters for the rear. The fronts would be be different because awd has front axles.
Old 07-19-18, 04:41 AM
eddie420
Forum Moderator

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

I am in socal, but I have no need for the brackets. I don't have a GS. I saw this thread pop up and decided to reply to it to provide insight into the conversion.

RWD, I don't think it matters for the rear. The fronts would be be different because awd has front axles.
What car do you have now? And you're right, the rear is the same, front is different.
Old 07-19-18, 03:17 PM
itsAQ
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I spoke with him a week ago and the entire setup is good to go. The rear was a headache with the bracket being modified more times than not. The front was an easy fit so that's good to hear.

Not sure if I want to go through the headache of customizing the rear bracket from scratch.
Old 07-25-18, 04:34 PM
jinino
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to clarify - do you mean there is no hope to fit GSF front calipers to the AWD model?
Old 07-25-18, 06:07 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eddie420
What car do you have now? And you're right, the rear is the same, front is different.
Sorry, I didn't see this last week. My forever project is the 98 SC300 in my signature. For everyday use I have a camry and odyssey. Lately, I've been driving a LS460L that my friend left at my house and won't take back because he has no parking.

I talked to the current owner of the GS-F brakes since he got back from vacation over the weekend, and he told me by switching to the GS-F hub it moves the rear wheels in about 15 to 20mm per side. He said he had to either widen his wheels half an inch or add on spacers to make up the difference after the brake swap.

Originally Posted by jinino
Just want to clarify - do you mean there is no hope to fit GSF front calipers to the AWD model?
No, I'm saying without having an AWD model on hand, then I wouldn't know if the front fits.
Old 04-05-20, 09:30 AM
Neural0
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350phi

Edit:
I made the rear bracket for GSF caliper for 4th gen GS.
Looks like you are out of stock on your website for the gs350 bracket. Any idea when you'll be back in stock?

Quick Reply: HELP! - GSF Calipers on GS