GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Opinions on sourcing a GS from Manheim?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-18, 07:33 AM
M3to4GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Opinions on sourcing a GS from Manheim?

Just curious on CL members' opinions on sourcing quality vehicles from Manheim auctions. I have a close friend who operates as a dealer and has access to Manheim Auctions. I've been on there and seen numerous GS350's for sale, some in bad shape and quite a few in great shape at a very lucrative price.

For example,

2015 GS350 F Sport, NGP/Cab, RWD, Nav, ML, BSM
No paint/bodywork, clean carfax, one owner (lease return from CA)
33K miles
$27K

Would this be considered a good deal?

Curious about y'all's thoughts?
Old 01-18-18, 10:40 AM
dgpiii
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the answer is yes.
Old 01-18-18, 11:14 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like a great deal.
Old 01-18-18, 11:21 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

my local dealership deals with them as well, the only reason they would send it to Manheim, is because they can't get it certified for a CPO. could be any number of reasons, a bunch of little things or a bunch of big things but they still think they can get a $ out of it.

My 3gs went to Manhiem and sold, I picked it up from a different dealer. It needed brakes all the way around, and it burns oil. All the work on it was done at lexus and since it's 11yrs old, they wouldnt CPO it, when they got it as a trade in so to manheim it went

I guess all i can say is be careful obviously you can get screwed pretty good, I thought I was going to be and it turned out the opposite
Old 01-18-18, 11:30 AM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use to do this part time about 10 years ago and still have contacts as well.

It will be harder to find a nice, clean, good shape (typically) but you will be saving thousands of dollars vs retail and even private party.

I would definitely buy one at an auction as long as I could inspect it before I buy. (most have a 24-48 hour hold)

happy to answer any questions you may have
Old 01-18-18, 11:49 AM
HPLouis
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine went through Manheim due to miles. It was a 2015 with 58K miles. I bought it in July. Besides rear tires and front brakes, the car has been perfect since.
Old 01-18-18, 11:54 AM
jordanhigg
Driver

Originally Posted by HPLouis
Mine went through Manheim due to miles. It was a 2015 with 58K miles. I bought it in July. Besides rear tires and front brakes, the car has been perfect since.
what did you pay after fees. (not taxes)
Old 01-18-18, 12:03 PM
HPLouis
Rookie

It was $30,100 before fees.
Old 01-19-18, 08:02 AM
jordanhigg
Driver

It was $30,100 before fees.
is it immaculate? Price sounds a few grand high with that many miles imo
Old 01-19-18, 08:31 AM
HPLouis
Rookie

Originally Posted by jordanhigg
is it immaculate? Price sounds a few grand high with that many miles imo
It really was. Body and paint were excellent, car was solid, no creaks, rattles, etc. I expected that from a Lexus though. They are great cars. It's also a Crafted Line AWD car so that's where the additional cost was.
Old 01-19-18, 12:19 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

It really was. Body and paint were excellent, car was solid, no creaks, rattles, etc. I expected that from a Lexus though. They are great cars. It's also a Crafted Line AWD car so that's where the additional cost was.
CL and AWD add a lot to its book.

Great purchase
Old 01-19-18, 01:23 PM
jagsfan201
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the buying process the same through Manheim? If I get my mechanic check out the car within 24 hours and he says it's good, how does the transaction go from there?
Old 01-19-18, 01:39 PM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just looked up the Crafted Line - I wish I had known this was a thing when I was shopping. I would've held out for that!
Old 01-19-18, 03:11 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

Originally Posted by jagsfan201
Is the buying process the same through Manheim? If I get my mechanic check out the car within 24 hours and he says it's good, how does the transaction go from there?
you will the auction and then you have 24-48 hours before you have to officially buy it.

different rules for the different auction. Some will let you take the car off the lot to get inspected and others make you use "their guy"
Old 01-19-18, 06:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts

If you plan to buy a vehicle at one of these auctions you better damn-well know what you're doing and have a whole lot of experience under your belt. Many (MANY) times what you get at auction is not what you were hoping for, or what you were expecting...and quite often you learn too late why the vehicle was sold at auction instead of from a car maker's brand dealership lot.

There is a local car lot (European Motors) that carries a lot of high-end, luxury vehicles that many of them are purchased at auction. Some are Lemon Law titled vehicles that car makers don't want, flood vehicles that were routed through various states to avoid a Flood titles or Salvage titles, wrecked vehicles that are not accurately entered in CarFax, etc., etc., etc. Their cars look really good on their website and to the inexperienced many look really good in-person, and they are often priced significantly under what a nice equivalent car is priced on a dealer's lot...but more times than not their vehicles are highly suspect, if not downright crap. Buyer beware... Same applies to vehicles purchased at auction. As I said, you better damn-well know what you're doing and have a whole lot of experience under your belt.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-19-18 at 07:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jagsfan201 (01-20-18)

Quick Reply: Opinions on sourcing a GS from Manheim?