GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2017 GS350 AWD engine clatter noise during cold morning startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 01:04 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Glad I have an insulated garage. It was -15 this morning and the temp. in the garage was 42. Have an elderly lady across the street from me that hoards and parks her 2 cars out year round because of useless crap in the garage. Never understood why people don't use their garages in extreme weather conditions.
Old 11-13-18, 01:13 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I recently bought a 2013 GS350. I also have a 2007 V6 Camry with the similar 2GR-FE and I was used to the way it sounded with it's slightly noisy sound which I thought was mainly due to the timing chain.

When I was shopping the GS350 and listened to the engine with hood open it sounded pretty much like the Camry V6 however a couple of times lately there was a little more clatter. I had seen mention of cold engine noise, however I've heard mine when it's not that cold and for longer than people mention here.

I'm in Phoenix so even though it's winter it's not that cold. I commute to work and going to lunch today, temps in low 60's, I drove a mile or so and parked in idle and it was slightly noisier than normal and was that way for several minutes.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Most of the comments here about cold weather starts are much colder than 60 degrees. The noise seemed to be most prominent from the side of the engine ( I was listening on the passenger side) near the valve cover. So is this just the direct injectors like some have said?
Old 11-13-18, 01:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
I recently bought a 2013 GS350. I also have a 2007 V6 Camry with the similar 2GR-FE and I was used to the way it sounded with it's slightly noisy sound which I thought was mainly due to the timing chain.

When I was shopping the GS350 and listened to the engine with hood open it sounded pretty much like the Camry V6 however a couple of times lately there was a little more clatter. I had seen mention of cold engine noise, however I've heard mine when it's not that cold and for longer than people mention here.

I'm in Phoenix so even though it's winter it's not that cold. I commute to work and going to lunch today, temps in low 60's, I drove a mile or so and parked in idle and it was slightly noisier than normal and was that way for several minutes.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Most of the comments here about cold weather starts are much colder than 60 degrees. The noise seemed to be most prominent from the side of the engine ( I was listening on the passenger side) near the valve cover. So is this just the direct injectors like some have said?
The clatter noise you are hearing is almost certainly the direct fuel injection system firing, which is a little louder upon cold start versus what it sounds like when warm. This noise is common to all direct fuel injection systems and not just associated with the GS 350 or Lexus vehicles. The noise is not heard when inside the car with the windows up. Some car makers install baffles over the injectors to help quieten the clatter noise a bit.
Old 11-13-18, 01:32 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

High Pressure Fuel Pump covers with foam insulation:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...reduction.html

Those who have installed is report slight decrease in sound, but say it's worth it for the low cost.
Old 11-13-18, 03:17 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The clatter noise you are hearing is almost certainly the direct fuel injection system firing, which is a little louder upon cold start versus what it sounds like when warm. This noise is common to all direct fuel injection systems and not just associated with the GS 350 or Lexus vehicles. The noise is not heard when inside the car with the windows up. Some car makers install baffles over the injectors to help quieten the clatter noise a bit.
Thanks. So it does get slightly quieter as the engine warms up? Would it still be noisy after only cooling down for 4 hours after a 20 mile drive to work?

Oh, I just remembered another noise I heard this morning when the engine was cold. I just started noticing a whine that is not unlike a cold power steering pump or one low on fluid, however since I don't have hydraulic steering not sure what it is.

Originally Posted by peasodos
High Pressure Fuel Pump covers with foam insulation:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...reduction.html

Those who have installed is report slight decrease in sound, but say it's worth it for the low cost.
I just saw this mentioned in another thread. So these were not put on the 2013 models?
Old 11-13-18, 03:22 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. So it does get slightly quieter as the engine warms up? Would it still be noisy after only cooling down for 4 hours after a 20 mile drive to work?

Oh, I just remembered another noise I heard this morning when the engine was cold. I just started noticing a whine that is not unlike a cold power steering pump or one low on fluid, however since I don't have hydraulic steering not sure what it is.

I just saw this mentioned in another thread. So these were not put on the 2013 models?
No those covers are not installed on the 4GS factory. I discovered them in the LS and IS threads and posted it here. Some 4GS members have installed it as per that thread.
Old 11-13-18, 03:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Thanks. So it does get slightly quieter as the engine warms up?
I'm not so sure the noise from the direct-fuel injection system gets any quieter as the engine warms up. I don't know why it would...
Old 11-13-18, 10:08 PM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Flanker271
For fellow Lexus owners who live in the snow belt states, does your GS make a engine clatter noise during cold morning startup? This noise is only present after the car has been sit for 5 hours or more. It goes away after 1 minute of driving, and subsequent warm startups does not produce this noise. My GS only has 2800 miles on it and I've made an appointment with the dealer this weekend for diagnosis. Chances are they will claim that they couldn't reproduce the noise because (obviously) I had to drive to the dealer.
Omg I experienced this a lot when I lived on the east coast in Baltimore I had a 2015 Lexus GS F sport lease and in Baltimore during very cold start up like 30 and below it was like a rattle/clatter noise at the first start up, but it went away quick it doesnt last long at all. Never got it looked at because it stopped after awhile but I will say it happened after oil changes, I think it may have something to do with the oil because the last gen GS 3.5 liter did not take synethic oil, may because the oil is thinner. I thought I was the only one who experienced this didnt think to post it on here. I currently have a 2013 GS non F sport and before I moved over to California I did not have that issue in the winter with this current GS.
Old 11-14-18, 05:09 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

This will be the second winter with my GS and I've learned to live with it. Looks like it's just the characteristic of the 4th gen GS. It's not that bad in the morning when I start it from my garage, but after sitting outside for 8 hours at work it'll clatter for a solid 4 minutes with 1,500 idle RPM. It'll then suddenly drop to ~900 rpm and everything goes quiet. That's when I start to drive.
Old 11-14-18, 09:45 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Flanker271
This will be the second winter with my GS and I've learned to live with it. Looks like it's just the characteristic of the 4th gen GS. It's not that bad in the morning when I start it from my garage, but after sitting outside for 8 hours at work it'll clatter for a solid 4 minutes with 1,500 idle RPM. It'll then suddenly drop to ~900 rpm and everything goes quiet. That's when I start to drive.
That is exactly what I experience.
Old 11-17-19, 01:49 PM
fugee
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

curious if people who experienced the cold start clatter noise have resolved or just learned to live with it?
Old 11-17-19, 06:26 PM
Flanker271
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I've learned to live with it. Based on all the feedback this is normal for the 2GR engine. 2.5 years into ownership, the car is a pleasure to drive, no complaints.
Old 11-17-19, 09:33 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fugee
curious if people who experienced the cold start clatter noise have resolved or just learned to live with it?
That chatter means you engine is operating normally. There is a cover for the high pressure fuel pump I made a thread for this, search the forums, that helped with the noise. Several members tried it with a noticeable difference. I think the part was less than $35.
Old 11-20-19, 09:48 AM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I purchased that cover, but it does not fit on my 2017 GS - the connections to the pump are different than the pumps the cover was actually made for.
The following users liked this post:
sbowden99 (12-22-22)
Old 09-13-20, 12:38 PM
UPWA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I understood what you are saying, I first thought it's not normal but after I watched the video from Youtube, somewhat agreed

Quick Reply: 2017 GS350 AWD engine clatter noise during cold morning startup