GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

RR Racing GS350 Tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-17, 03:46 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
At ~3,800 lbs 385 hp or more is needed for 5 seconds 0 - 60 mph.

HERE is a simple calculator for you.

Total weight of the car with fluids and a driver is debatable. Also, the actual performance of the automatic transmission compared to a manual is debatable...
I wouldn't put too much stock in that calculator, it basically just told me that an RWD GS was way slower than an AWD one, lol.

-Mike
Old 12-22-17, 05:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
I wouldn't put too much stock in that calculator, it basically just told me that an RWD GS was way slower than an AWD one, lol.

-Mike
Traction...

Power-to-weight ratio is the primary factor used to determine 0 - 60 mph times, but it also takes into consideration the performance advantages of RWD and AWD over FWD, and the advantage of a manual transmission over an automatic in some cases...but not all. Although the terminal velocities are estimated, the results should be reasonably accurate.

For a typical rear-wheel drive, automatic transmission vehicle it takes a power-to-weight ratio of 1:10 to achieve a 5 second 0 - 60 mph time. Whether it's a 200 hp 2,000 lb car, or a 300 hp 3,000 lb car or a 385 hp 3,850 lb car - it doesn't matter... It's math! All the calculators are going to show the same. HERE is another one.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-23-17 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-23-17, 01:02 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant

-Mike
The awd will probably have a quicker 0-60, I get traction instantly on mine. It weighs more but its nice not having wheel spin. Now that its not as humid I need to try to get some 0-60's in, just need to find a isolated area to do that.
Old 12-23-17, 03:02 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Originally Posted by e60bmw
The awd will probably have a quicker 0-60, I get traction instantly on mine. It weighs more but its nice not having wheel spin. Now that its not as humid I need to try to get some 0-60's in, just need to find a isolated area to do that.
Does a GS 350 RWD really get wheelspin on dry pavement? I doubt it. Particularly not if its an F-sport with the bigger tires in the back...

Hell, I think Lexus's own documentation even shows the RWD as being like a tenth of second or two faster, actually. Less mass to move.

That said, I think you are right in the respect that the AWD is going to hook up better on a wider variety of surfaces... like if you're taking off from wet pavement or pavement that has oil or other garbage on it... pulling with 4 tires is going to win every time. I'll never forget it when my Regal GS got toasted by a Subie WRX... his wheels hooked up, mine didn't... it wasn't even close- mine just spun on the oil slick at this intersection... lol... andi t wasnt like he didnt have oil to deal with either, but he had 4 tires hooking up at once...

-Mike
Old 12-26-17, 06:15 AM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MythicOne
I believe MY2018 IS350 got a 5HP increase from Lexus...
When I saw it, I was like what was the point of this? Anyone who says they can feel a 5HP increase is on that good stuff, lol. I actually had a 2018 GS350 as a loaner for about a week, and honestly, my 2014 F sport felt faster :shrug:
Old 12-26-17, 06:44 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

yeah $500 for 5HP is stupid. Rather just put it in Sport + mode and call it a day.

$500 tune on a MB or BMW will do wonders for the car
The following users liked this post:
amerrival (11-15-23)
Old 12-26-17, 09:48 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by talltrini1
When I saw it, I was like what was the point of this? Anyone who says they can feel a 5HP increase is on that good stuff, lol. I actually had a 2018 GS350 as a loaner for about a week, and honestly, my 2014 F sport felt faster :shrug:
Ha Ha all placebo effect.
Old 12-26-17, 11:22 PM
MythicOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by talltrini1
Sorry I was not clear on my original post guys!
I meant to say that all stock 2018 IS350s get a +5HP increase coming out of the Lexus factory.
MY= Model Year.
Old 12-27-17, 08:24 AM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MythicOne
Sorry I was not clear on my original post guys!
I meant to say that all stock 2018 IS350s get a +5HP increase coming out of the Lexus factory.
MY= Model Year.
No, I knew that, I was just saying Lexus could've saved the effort, lol. I wasn't too clear either!
Old 12-31-17, 10:17 PM
drgrant
Instructor

I find it hard to believe that you can get wheelspin on an RWD GS-350, on dry pavement, unless you're going out of your way to induce the wheels to break free. These cars have a decent amount of juice but I would be surprised if you can break the rear tires free on command unless your tires suck or you're playing some fun games to get it to do it on purpose.

That said, I have an AWD and I -do- like the way in launches on garbage surfaces during the winter. Like sometimes we'll get these plow outfalls that end up on onramps... so you get this snow and ice, exactly in the wrong place- like a stop sign before you get into a high speed roadway; the AWD helps the car blow through that garbage when you go to take off, and I can definitely see and feel the benefit there....

-Mike
Old 01-17-18, 02:39 PM
TommyMinh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to let anyone know, i have a 2016 GS350 and the tune did not work for me. Been waiting on RR racing to give me a update for 10 days now..

The problem was that it couldn't read my ecu.
Old 01-17-18, 09:25 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyMinh
Just to let anyone know, i have a 2016 GS350 and the tune did not work for me. Been waiting on RR racing to give me a update for 10 days now..

The problem was that it couldn't read my ecu.
I had the same problem with mine and had to wait about a week for them to update the tuner to read mine, guess it depends on the ECU thats being read.
Old 02-13-18, 06:21 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
At ~3,850 lbs 385 hp or more is needed for 5 seconds 0 - 60 mph. It takes a power-to-weight ratio of 1:10 to get down to 5 seconds.

HERE is a simple calculator for you.

Total weight of the car with fluids and a driver is debatable. Also, the actual performance of the automatic transmission compared to a manual is debatable...
Based on that calculator my 4GSh would need 425hp to break the 5 second barrier.
Old 02-13-18, 07:23 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

The car absolutely does have more power, and I don't really push it much up to the redline, I shift manually most of the time especially if I'm driving hard. They have dynos on the site I'll post below. Mine is awd I don't know the actual HP numbers with the tune, but I immediately felt a difference with the tune.

http://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-L...ig3xxtne02.htm

They are more or less the same cars engine-wise.

http://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-L...ig3xxtne02.htm

I'm sure my 0-60 time is faster, if I get a good camera setup to show my spedo when I'm driving I'll do some videos. I was probably one of the first with the tunes on the GS but there are a number of others who have it on the IS/RC.
Based on those graphs, it looks like a 7200 RPM redline is a waste of effort if peak is much lower. I need more than 10HP to shell out $500. I've already got a 500HP GS that can pull the front tires on slicks but it doesn't have cruise, AC, heated seats or get more than 12MPG.
Attached Thumbnails RR Racing GS350 Tune-gsline.jpg  
Old 04-12-18, 01:33 PM
chanman3IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCanada
There are different ECU versions and different base maps on ECU's, they tailor it to your specific ECU configuration.

so once you buy it, how many re-tune's do they send or you can request? Like let's stay you bought it when you IS was stock, and as months pass, you buy exhaust, and a few more months headers, etc etc. Are you only allowed a certain # of re-tunes they send you for your purchase?

Quick Reply: RR Racing GS350 Tune