GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

RR Racing GS350 Tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 09:50 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
Does it actually add power or just adding redlining?
Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Does this reduce the 0-60 time? Cause that's all I care about, I don't need my car to rev to 20K and still get the 0-60 time same as stock.
Your questions are fair. Depending on the engine's horsepower and torque curves, along with the transmission gearing, in most cases the car maker has already set the engine redline limit for absolute best performance.

It does no good to increase the redline limit if the engine's peak horsepower and torque is not best used when each successive transmission gear is engaged. In most cases the car maker has [already] optimally matched the vehicle's engine horsepower and torque with the transmission's gearing. Otherwise, the car maker would not be proud of stating the car's 0 to 60 mph time.
Old 12-21-17, 01:21 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Your questions are fair. Depending on the engine's horsepower and torque curves, along with the transmission gearing, in most cases the car maker has already set the engine redline limit for absolute best performance.

It does no good to increase the redline limit if the engine's peak horsepower and torque is not best used when each successive transmission gear is engaged. In most cases the car maker has [already] optimally matched the vehicle's engine horsepower and torque with the transmission's gearing. Otherwise, the car maker would not be proud of stating the car's 0 to 60 mph time.
I want my RC to go faster than a Tesla Roadster, I need to get to the grocery store faster.
Old 12-21-17, 02:36 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

The car absolutely does have more power, and I don't really push it much up to the redline, I shift manually most of the time especially if I'm driving hard. They have dynos on the site I'll post below. Mine is awd I don't know the actual HP numbers with the tune, but I immediately felt a difference with the tune.

http://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-L...ig3xxtne02.htm

They are more or less the same cars engine-wise.

I'm sure my 0-60 time is faster, if I get a good camera setup to show my spedo when I'm driving I'll do some videos. I was probably one of the first with the tunes on the GS but there are a number of others who have it on the IS/RC.
Old 12-21-17, 02:40 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Tell that to BMW.
Old 12-21-17, 03:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e60bmw
The car absolutely does have more power, and I don't really push it much up to the redline, I shift manually most of the time especially if I'm driving hard. They have dynos on the site I'll post below. Mine is awd I don't know the actual HP numbers with the tune, but I immediately felt a difference with the tune.

I'm sure my 0-60 time is faster, if I get a good camera setup to show my spedo when I'm driving I'll do some videos. I was probably one of the first with the tunes on the GS but there are a number of others who have it on the IS/RC.
Not sure the comparison of 'Stock' versus 'Tune (no exhaust)' really means much. Also, are you really sure that you can feel such a small percentage of increase in torque and horsepower in the seat of your pants?
Old 12-21-17, 05:04 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Not sure the comparison of 'Stock' versus 'Tune (no exhaust)' really means much. Also, are you really sure that you can feel such a small percentage of increase in torque and horsepower in the seat of your pants?
I'm no expert in HP numbers or can't tell anyone what % increase in 0-60 times it may be. But for me there was a noticeable improvement with the car and recommend it for the $. Outside of that I don't really know what else to tell people who are interested in it. I will get a vid eventually, I need a good way to mount a camera. Maybe if there is a good app I can find I can try a 0-60 run, I do have a bluetooth OBD connection I can probably try it with.
Edit:
Looks like Torque Pro will do it, I bought the app. I'll try to post the data once I get it! Looks like it can measure "bhp" somehow, not sure how accurate that is but I can see what it shows me, I'm curious.

Last edited by e60bmw; 12-21-17 at 05:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (12-22-17)
Old 12-21-17, 10:37 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw

I got the tune a couple weeks ago and noticed the throttle was more responsive and acceleration was smoother. I haven't red lined it but felt the difference was worth the purchase.
Old 12-22-17, 09:09 AM
MythicOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe MY2018 IS350 got a 5HP increase from Lexus...
Old 12-22-17, 09:40 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Yes please do a 0-60 comparison. It would be great if the car can do it in the 4 sec. range.

I'm more interested in that than just a feel or placebo effect, cause every time I put a new sticker my car feels faster too.
Old 12-22-17, 10:22 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yes please do a 0-60 comparison. It would be great if the car can do it in the 4 sec. range.

I'm more interested in that than just a feel or placebo effect, cause every time I put a new sticker my car feels faster too.
You can totally forget about that! You'll need at least 385 hp just to get to 5.0 seconds...
Old 12-22-17, 10:35 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Maybe with a supercharger
Old 12-22-17, 11:01 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

You can totally forget about that! You'll need at least 385 hp just to get to 5.0 seconds...
Wasn't the 2IS 350 hitting the 4 secs back then? That car has the same engine as ours right? But with a 6 speed.
Old 12-22-17, 11:16 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Wasn't the 2IS 350 hitting the 4 secs back then? That car has the same engine as ours right? But with a 6 speed.
At ~3,850 lbs 385 hp or more is needed for 5 seconds 0 - 60 mph. It takes a power-to-weight ratio of 1:10 to get down to 5 seconds.

HERE is a simple calculator for you.

Total weight of the car with fluids and a driver is debatable. Also, the actual performance of the automatic transmission compared to a manual is debatable...

Last edited by bclexus; 12-23-17 at 09:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
4GS350 (02-17-24)
Old 12-22-17, 11:34 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

My rear tires always have problem hooking up, they always lose traction at take offs and the colder weather now just made it worse. These summer Dunlop tires suck, same problem with my old GS' stock summer Bridgestones. My Michelin A/S were way better, rarely any slips, even in the rain.
Old 12-22-17, 12:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

My rear tires always have problem hooking up, they always lose traction at take offs and the colder weather now just made it worse. These summer Dunlop tires suck, same problem with my old GS' stock summer Bridgestones. My Michelin A/S were way better, rarely any slips, even in the rain.
The last thing you want to do is drive on Summer tires in temperatures of mid-forties or below even on dry pavement. DANGEROUS

Quick Reply: RR Racing GS350 Tune