GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Does the speed sensitive volume control work in your 4GS?

Old 11-15-17, 01:29 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Does the speed sensitive volume control work in your 4GS?

All 4GS (with or without navigation) has the standard option for speed sensitive volume control which can be turned on/off by turning the "Automatic Sound Levelizer" (under DSP under Sound Settings) on/off. Turning it on or off does not seem to make any perceptible difference in my 2016 GS. I have been trying to find out the experience of others and found this short thread where the OP was complaining that when turned on, the volume increases too much for his taste: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ve-volume.html . For me, the volume does not seem to change at all. Please share your experience.

My 2009 Maxima had multiple levels (possibly 5) of speed sensitive volume control. My 2016 GS only has on/off. Is it possible to enhance the change in volume with speed through the dealership or any other way?
Old 11-15-17, 01:31 PM
enguyen88
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have mine turned off. Never really noticed much of a difference with it on.
Old 11-15-17, 01:33 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

So you and I have had a similar experience. I had an Altima with the speed sensitive volume that changed quite dramatically.

Since then I have owned 3 non-nissan luxury cars with this feature and struggle to tell if the volume changes at all! My theory is that Nissan's system changes much more than the rest and thus ruins the experience in other cars with this feature.
Old 11-15-17, 01:37 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
So you and I have had a similar experience. I had an Altima with the speed sensitive volume that changed quite dramatically.

Since then I have owned 3 non-nissan luxury cars with this feature and struggle to tell if the volume changes at all! My theory is that Nissan's system changes much more than the rest and thus ruins the experience in other cars with this feature.
So the fault is Nissan's... agreed
Old 11-15-17, 02:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It was pretty obvious in my Tacoma but I don't notice it at all in my GS.
Old 11-15-17, 08:33 PM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Very little change in volume. Actually quite annoying. My Genesis responded completely differently regarding change in volume.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (11-16-17)
Old 11-15-17, 09:49 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I normally see a pretty significant change in volume. It could be due to the extra noise coming from my catback causing it to respond more. Maybe lol.
Old 11-16-17, 06:06 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
So the fault is Nissan's... agreed
Yea! I have struggled for years to cope lol
Originally Posted by tompass
My Genesis responded completely differently regarding change in volume.
This is interesting. I owned a Genesis Sedan and didn't notice the changing volume in that either. I believe my Nissan theory to still stand!
Old 11-16-17, 10:44 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I toggled this on the way to work this am.

Didn’t really notice a difference. Volume at low mid and high. Rolling at 65+.

Interestingly enough though I didn’t really feel like it was less audible with the windows open, assuming it raised the volume?

Tried a few different variations and with the windows closed I didn’t think it adjusted anything. Mind you the GS *imho* in an extremely quiet car. Maybe it just doesn’t need to because it’s so isolated from the outdoor noise? Windows, sunroof open will get further testing.
Old 11-16-17, 11:33 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

2013 ML, can't tell that it does anything. I adjust the volume up and down manually all the time.

My 2001 GS430 ML nonav was amazing! It was so perfect, I NEVER had to touch the volume no matter what I was doing.
I couldn't even tell that it had made an adjustment: the music was just...right.
I do love my 2013...the improvements in interior and technology and awd are all excellent...but there were some things about that 2gen machine that set the bar very high.

Last edited by jonathancl; 11-16-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-16-17, 12:56 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Driving with the windows down made a big difference for me as well. Interesting that you can’t hear the difference.
Old 11-16-17, 01:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Driving with the windows down made a big difference for me as well. Interesting that you can €™t hear the difference.
Is the audio volume adjustment made based on 'speed' or is it based on the 'ambient noise' level inside the cabin?

I know that M-B's audio volume level adjustment can be based on one of either the vehicle's speed or the ambient noise in the cabin, which is dependent on the particular sound system option the vehicle is equipped with. I'm not sure about Lexus...
Old 11-16-17, 04:55 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Is the audio volume adjustment made based on 'speed' or is it based on the 'ambient noise' level inside the cabin?

I know that M-B's audio volume level adjustment can be based on one of either the vehicle's speed or the ambient noise in the cabin, which is dependent on the particular sound system option the vehicle is equipped with. I'm not sure about Lexus...
I thought the same question. As stated, it’s so quiet regardless of speed that it’s no surprise that it doesn’t really adjust with speed. Has to be other factors...open windows and sunroof. Not sure how it determines how much to compensate but that’s the only thing that makes sense to me.
Old 11-16-17, 05:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
I thought the same question. As stated, it €™s so quiet regardless of speed that it €™s no surprise that it doesn €™t really adjust with speed. Has to be other factors...open windows and sunroof. Not sure how it determines how much to compensate but that €™s the only thing that makes sense to me.
For vehicles that automatically adjust the audio volume based on ambient cabin noise (or a combination of speed and ambient cabin noise) the microphone is used to monitor the ambient noise in the cabin.

I've never tried it, but you should be able to run a simple test to determine if the vehicle's volume changes based on ambient cabin noise, or a combination of both speed and cabin noise. All you need is a handheld noise-maker, which your iPhone can be used for - just play a song or a video with some music - turn up the volume on the iPhone and hold it near the microphone up on the roof console. If the car's automatic volume adjustment is based on both speed and ambient cabin noise the speed threshold is probably set at around 35 mph before any change in volume adjustment is automatically made based on ambient cabin noise.
Old 11-17-17, 07:13 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

...hold it near the microphone up on the roof console.
Where exactly is the microphone? The little grated hole between the sunroof controls?

Here?

Last edited by jonathancl; 11-17-17 at 08:01 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does the speed sensitive volume control work in your 4GS?