Lexus Navigation Map Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 10:17 AM
turpinator
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus Navigation Map Service

Hello,

I just recently had my sirius xm renewal which for the year is $240 for just the music channels and the traffic/weather service. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative as all I really need is the traffic information and updated maps. I don't listen to the music channels at all because I use my phone connected to bluetooth for that.

Question to the forum is:
1.) Does Lexus offer a traffic service for it's navigation?
2.) How do you keep the road maps up to date? Is this something that Lexus does over the air automatically?
I know my old G35 Infinity you had to buy an expensive update disc.

Thanks in advance for any help and information!

Jarrod
Old 11-14-17, 10:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

When we had our RX, which had Sirius Traffic and Weather, I only purchased that part from Sirius. They offer a plan that offers traffic and weather without the audio channels for pretty cheap. Sirius, by the way, is the only way to have the integrated traffic/weather on your navigation.

For map updates, you have to purchase them. I've never had a need to do so, but you can ask the dealer or there's a web site.
The following users liked this post:
turpinator (11-14-17)
Old 11-14-17, 11:01 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

what year is your car?
Old 11-14-17, 11:21 AM
turpinator
Driver School Candidate

2013 Lexus GS 350 F Sport
Old 11-14-17, 11:27 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

The 2015 and up have HD live traffic and it's free 2016 GS-F Sport
turpinator (11-14-17)
Old 11-14-17, 11:58 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by turpinator
Hello,

I just recently had my sirius xm renewal which for the year is $240 for just the music channels and the traffic/weather service. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative as all I really need is the traffic information and updated maps. I don't listen to the music channels at all because I use my phone connected to bluetooth for that.

Question to the forum is:
1.) Does Lexus offer a traffic service for it's navigation?
2.) How do you keep the road maps up to date? Is this something that Lexus does over the air automatically?
I know my old G35 Infinity you had to buy an expensive update disc.

Thanks in advance for any help and information!

Jarrod
Like many people you way overpaid for Sirius XM service. Read the 'deals' that people are getting (in the link below) for the various Sirius XM services...

I use the SiriusXM 'Select' plan. I was given $29.94 for the Select plan (plus fees and taxes) for 6 months. The total price is $36.49 for 6 months per vehicle.

How to Get a Discount on Sirius XM Radio Subscription:
http://www.spoofee.com/how-to-get-a-...6#.VGjeZfnF9bE

Last edited by bclexus; 11-14-17 at 12:26 PM.
turpinator (11-14-17)
Old 11-14-17, 12:02 PM
turpinator
Driver School Candidate

Thanks bclexus! I'll be giving them a call.
Old 11-14-17, 12:07 PM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Or you can just get Navigation Traffic only from XM for $3.99 for a month.

http://www.siriusxm.com/navtraffic/pricing
Old 11-14-17, 12:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks bclexus! I'll be giving them a call.
Don't forget to call them to cancel a couple of days before your plan expires so you can re-sign again with the best deal - otherwise they will automatically bill you at the highest rate (which sounds like what you may be paying now). Once that happens there is no credit or rebate - that is why it is imperative to call them a couple days before your service plan expires - and if they refuse to give you the deal that you know (from what people say in the link I provided) is available just tell them to cancel your service...and then call the number back to talk with another representative to get the deal you know is available. It's a game of sorts ... and Sirius treats their service much like a utility (electrical provider, natural gas, etc.) where if your service plan expires the provider will automatically bill you at the highest going rate.

I use the SiriusXM 'Select' plan. I was given $29.94 for the Select plan (plus fees and taxes) for 6 months. The total price is $36.49 for 6 months per vehicle.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-14-17 at 12:25 PM.
turpinator (11-14-17)
Old 11-14-17, 12:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by songoku
Or you can just get Navigation Traffic only from XM for $3.99 for a month.

http://www.siriusxm.com/navtraffic/pricing
I have found that the Traffic service is pretty much worthless because the traffic service is delayed many minutes even in large city areas.
Old 11-14-17, 12:28 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Don't forget to call them to cancel a couple of days before your plan expires so you can re-sign again with the best deal - otherwise they will automatically bill you at the highest rate (which sounds like what you may be paying now). Once that happens there is no credit or rebate - that is why it is imperative to call them a couple days before your service plan expires - and if they refuse to give you the deal that you know (from what people say in the link I provided) is available just tell them to cancel your service...and then call the number back to talk with another representative to get the deal you know is available. It's a game of sorts ... and Sirius treats their service much like a utility (electrical provider, natural gas, etc.) where if your service plan expires the provider will automatically bill you at the highest going rate.

This is what I pay as well. And every time i renew my service I tell them this is the plan I am going with. They always tell me it was a "one time promotional plan" that I have had for 5 years now....
Old 11-14-17, 12:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
This is what I pay as well. And every time i renew my service I tell them this is the plan I am going with. They always tell me it was a "one time promotional plan" that I have had for 5 years now....
Yep! I've only had to literally cancel my service once because the rep refused to give me what I knew was available. Then, when I called right back and spoke to another rep they freely gave me what I had asked the previous rep for. I sometimes have to tell the rep that a family member just got the 'Select' plan I want yesterday or earlier today - so they will know that I am aware of what plan price is available. Like I said, it's a game...and many people simply do not realize that others are getting the exact same service at a huge discount compared to what they are paying. You never (EVER) want to forget to call a couple of days before your plan expires to renew at a discounted price...because they will bill you at the much higher rate - and there's nothing you can do about it.
turpinator (11-14-17)
Old 11-14-17, 12:49 PM
turpinator
Driver School Candidate

So I just got off the phone with them.

Here's what I ended up taking, which is good enough for me:

Original Package: Music only service $150.21 (yr) + Nav/Traffic $83.54 (yr) = $243.75 (yr)

New Subscription: XM Select $24.99 + Nav/Traffic $17.50 + $3.47 Music Royalty Fee = $45.96 (5 Months)

Not the six months, but I'm sure if I fought a little more I could of gotten the extra month.

Saving roughly $133 a year if I stick with this service and call them in 5 months. Or I just a buy a newer GS and get the HD Traffic for free and not hassle with SiriusXM.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-14-17, 12:52 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You paid $240 a year? Yikes... I got $24.99 for 6 months and tell them to match it for the year...

I think only traffic is updated with Siris not actual maps
turpinator (11-14-17)
Old 11-14-17, 12:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

So I just got off the phone with them.

Here's what I ended up taking, which is good enough for me:

Original Package: Music only service $150.21 (yr) + Nav/Traffic $83.54 (yr) = $243.75 (yr)

New Subscription: XM Select $24.99 + Nav/Traffic $17.50 + $3.47 Music Royalty Fee = $45.96 (5 Months)

Not the six months, but I'm sure if I fought a little more I could of gotten the extra month.

Saving roughly $133 a year if I stick with this service and call them in 5 months. Or I just a buy a newer GS and get the HD Traffic for free and not hassle with SiriusXM.

Thanks everyone!
Good! Yes, you could have gotten that deal for 6 months. Next time you will know to demand it. Do NOT forget to call (to cancel) a couple days before your plan expires so you can do a new deal.

Glad to help and save you some money...
turpinator (11-14-17)

Quick Reply: Lexus Navigation Map Service