GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

3 Issues - Need Some Help

Old 11-11-17, 11:52 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 3 Issues - Need Some Help

Hi all -

I have my new-to-me 2013 GS 350 with the luxury package. I have 3 things that are driving me nut (like a steering wheel in my pants).

1) Whenever i start the car up the auto climate control does not come on even thought i had it on when I turned the car off. Any advice on this? Every time I start the car I have to push auto...this makes little sense.

2) When I do press auto again, the temps have all reset to 75 degrees regardless of last setting when I turned the car off.

3) The heated front seats turn themselves down automatically. I set them to the most intense level (call it 3) and within 5 mins they have turned themselves down to 2 and will go all the way to 1. I do not have the "auto" heated seats function...can someone help me determine how to keep the heated seats on high?

Thanks in advance all

OFGS
Old 11-11-17, 12:13 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

1. Your key fob has programed settings, radio-seat-climate control. With everything set the way you want, seat adjustment-radio(cd-am-fm-ipod-xm satellite...whatever you want to come on when you start your car)-climate settings-side mirrors, engine running in park then press and hold set and drivers door unlock button until it beeps. Remember to set everything the way you want it first. You have to do this for each fob, so you can have his and hers settings or have each fob be the same. Here is a video...

http://www.whylexus.com/programming-memory-seats-and-pairing-smart-key-in-lexus/

2 This will be whatever temp you set as above.

3 This is a factory setting , it can be changed with CARISTA app.
The following users liked this post:
JellyBean (11-11-17)
Old 11-11-17, 12:19 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I am not sure about this, I read somewhere but I don't remember for sure.

All of 3 problems you got is from only one is key fobs, may be previous owner have all that setting for that key fob, try different key fob if anything change.
Good luck.
​​​​
Old 11-11-17, 12:36 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jkeller
1. Your key fob has programed settings, radio-seat-climate control. With everything set the way you want, seat adjustment-radio(cd-am-fm-ipod-xm satellite...whatever you want to come on when you start your car)-climate settings-side mirrors, engine running in park then press and hold set and drivers door unlock button until it beeps. Remember to set everything the way you want it first. You have to do this for each fob, so you can have his and hers settings or have each fob be the same. Here is a video...

http://www.whylexus.com/programming-memory-seats-and-pairing-smart-key-in-lexus/

2 This will be whatever temp you set as above.

3 This is a factory setting , it can be changed with CARISTA app.
Thank you! I will try this now as I get back into my car.

As to the heated seats thing, do you think the lexus dealer would do this for free? Can a Toyota dealer handle it?

Thanks again
Old 11-11-17, 01:14 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

There was a change for14 models, like I have, for 13 models think you need either a dealer or an app CARISTA to change the factory default setting.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...013-gs350.html

maybe someone with a 2013 can chime in for you.
Old 11-11-17, 02:25 PM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 376 Likes on 215 Posts

I have a 13 w/ Lux Pack as well.

I do not have problems 1 and 2, so I am sure they can be corrected as stated previously.

I have the same issue as you for number 3 and need to keep hitting the heat seat button to turn up intensity after it starts going down.
Thought I read that this is by design so that drivers/passengers don't burn themselves.
If this can be changed I am eager to know how to do.

Thanks
Old 11-11-17, 03:07 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PGA71
I have a 13 w/ Lux Pack as well.

I do not have problems 1 and 2, so I am sure they can be corrected as stated previously.

I have the same issue as you for number 3 and need to keep hitting the heat seat button to turn up intensity after it starts going down.
Thought I read that this is by design so that drivers/passengers don't burn themselves.
If this can be changed I am eager to know how to do.

Thanks
This can be changed by the dealer or with Carista.
Old 11-11-17, 04:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

See the 2013 Lexus Personalized Settings (attachment below)
Attached Files
Old 11-11-17, 05:37 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddyduddy
This can be changed by the dealer or with Carista.
I asked my dealer to do it and they could not find the setting (can't think they looked very hard...). I then paid for the Carista unit and service and was able to change it. I like the functionality offered through Carista, but don't like any subscription services, so I only paid for a limited time and then cancelled. It would be nice to have the flexibility to change things later, but not worth the ongoing subscription IMO.
Old 11-11-17, 08:12 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

So I still have all three problems. Does anyone have more insight on the first two? They are extremely annoying.

The third I will take care of with Carista. I want to change a few things anyway so I'm sure I'll grab it for a limited time.

Thanks all!
Old 11-12-17, 06:31 AM
harper7
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
So I still have all three problems. Does anyone have more insight on the first two? They are extremely annoying.

The third I will take care of with Carista. I want to change a few things anyway so I'm sure I'll grab it for a limited time.

Thanks all!
My 07 IS350 was doing the same thing a few years ago. I think my problem was a weak key fob battery or car battery but don't remember how I fixed it and doesn't do it anymore. Here is a link with other Lexus's doing the same thing and some fixes I found in a search for ya to look at and might help you out................https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l-problem.html

....or the personalized climate control setting #9 for auto set could be set to OFF
I have the Techstream software to change these settings like the dealer and will see what that does. Never changed that option before and not sure why somebody would want that off..
Old 11-12-17, 09:54 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Thanks. I did turn the auto AC off yesterday as I live in a cold climate. That did not help.

I just took out the cabin filter and put it back in. That didn’t seem to help either. Looks like I’ll need a trip to the Lexus dealer.
Old 11-12-17, 01:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
Thanks. I did turn the auto AC off yesterday as I live in a cold climate. That did not help.

I just took out the cabin filter and put it back in. That didn’t seem to help either. Looks like I’ll need a trip to the Lexus dealer.
I would recommend leaving the AC On and in the Auto mode regardless of your climate...even if it gets down to -40 degrees. The AC system in Auto works much better than anyone can manually control temperature, humidity control, etc.
Old 11-13-17, 05:49 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

So I took a visit to the dealer this morning. They could not get me in to look at it since I literally just showed up without an appointment lol.

But the service tech did tell me that the temps being set at 75 degrees every time is because I have the factory auto starter and that always defaults all temps to 75 degrees. The auto not turning on with the car might also be related but I would have to make an appointment for that to be looked at.
Old 11-13-17, 08:30 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Some Lexus models require that before replacing the cabin air filter the AC system be set to 'Recirculate' mode due to a small (and fragile) lever arm switch protrusion that can become lodged or broken if the filter is removed/installed in the "Auto' or 'Fresh' mode. Also, some Lexus models are very picky about (1) the exact size of the cabin air filter (if a non-Toyota filter is used) and also (2) how the cabin air filter is installed in the filter casing, which requires that when re-installing the cabin air filter the 'TOYOTA', 'MADE IN USA' and 'UP' printing on the filter face to the rear side of the filter casing so the filter pleats are oriented correctly.

Not following these cabin air filter installation directions (on some Lexus models) have caused the AC system to go into the auto reset mode. The auto reset mode causes the AC system to power-up with the 'Auto' light coming On, but no lights are lit for the Recirculate/Auto/Fresh air button. On some models the fan will not run and no driver/passenger temp will display for about 15 seconds. Then after 15 seconds or so, the climate control comes On and the temperature is reset to 75° for both driver and passenger. In other words, any previous settings were not saved from when the car was last driven. This scenario is replicated every time the car is restarted after being shut down.

The problem could be as simple as the cabin air filter case is not fully and securely closed. Have you, or a non-Lexus technician, replaced the cabin air filter or performed any AC system related work?

Last edited by bclexus; 11-13-17 at 09:55 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 Issues - Need Some Help