GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 06:29 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Mine just went back for a second time because it came back less than two weeks after the first repair. Both times involved about ~5ish days at the dealer and to remove the headliner. The second time they seemed to do a rushed job putting it back together and scratched my cupholder lid in the process. Not a fun experience but so far it seems solid and am hoping whatever they did this time fixes it permanently.
Did you tell them about the cup holder lid? I'd request a new one.
Old 08-18-18, 09:51 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Did you tell them about the cup holder lid? I'd request a new one.
Yup, have to take it back in this upcoming week. Ugh.
Old 09-01-18, 03:19 PM
Kane007
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I can't get the torx screws out :(

I was so excited when I saw this fix on the forum. I bought the replacement liner and went to go install it. Looks like my torx screws were a bit stripped. When I tried to open them, it just made it worse. I tried an extractor and that didn't work. Then I tried a dremel to cut a flat head indent into it but u couldn't get the right angle and the cut we not good. Any one have any ideas? Here are some pics
Old 09-01-18, 03:21 PM
Kane007
Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
I tried loosening the first screw and it just wasn't budging so I tilted the sunroof and removed the seal and relaxed it with the new one. Took a little elbow grease to get the corners to sit right but it beat having to remove the glass.
wait you were able to get the new weather strip in without taking out the screws? Am I understanding you correctly?
Old 09-01-18, 03:22 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Kane007
I was so excited when I saw this fix on the forum. I bought the replacement liner and went to go install it. Looks like my torx screws were a bit stripped. When I tried to open them, it just made it worse. I tried an extractor and that didn't work. Then I tried a dremel to cut a flat head indent into it but u couldn't get the right angle and the cut we not good. Any one have any ideas? Here are some pics
Grab a plier. Or buy one of these handy pliers.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-01-18, 03:41 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

wait you were able to get the new weather strip in without taking out the screws? Am I understanding you correctly?
Sure did. I tried to loosen one of the screws and realized they weren't budging so I finagled the weather strip on without removing the moonroof glass. It was frustrating going between tilt and open, but it worked like a charm.
Old 09-01-18, 06:17 PM
Kane007
Driver

Sure did. I tried to loosen one of the screws and realized they weren't budging so I finagled the weather strip on without removing the moonroof glass. It was frustrating going between tilt and open, but it worked like a charm.
would you mind sharing your technique with me of how exactly you did this? I might have to do this myself. And I actually thought about it too earlier when I realized I was doomed but I thought I was going to end up not being able to get it on and be totally screwed at that point
Old 09-02-18, 05:25 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

would you mind sharing your technique with me of how exactly you did this? I might have to do this myself. And I actually thought about it too earlier when I realized I was doomed but I thought I was going to end up not being able to get it on and be totally screwed at that point
Yea for sure. I tilted the moonroof and started with the rear edge. Removing the old one is easy one you get a section of the rubber out of the groove. When installing the new one, I made sure to place the hole in the weatherstrip centered in the rear (like the old one was lined up) and I pressed the new one into place. Once I got the rear and about half of weatherstrip in place on the sides, I then closed the moonroof and then opened it halfway to expose the front edge. The front corners were difficult to get on since the frame is recessed as opposed to above the roof like the rear when the glass is tilted but you'll be able to slip it on. You can use a flathead screwdriver (with the tip covered in tape) to help push the strip into place.
Old 09-02-18, 05:55 AM
Kane007
Driver

Yea for sure. I tilted the moonroof and started with the rear edge. Removing the old one is easy one you get a section of the rubber out of the groove. When installing the new one, I made sure to place the hole in the weatherstrip centered in the rear (like the old one was lined up) and I pressed the new one into place. Once I got the rear and about half of weatherstrip in place on the sides, I then closed the moonroof and then opened it halfway to expose the front edge. The front corners were difficult to get on since the frame is recessed as opposed to above the roof like the rear when the glass is tilted but you'll be able to slip it on. You can use a flathead screwdriver (with the tip covered in tape) to help push the strip into place.
thank you! So the moon roof actually closed with the weather strip half way out for you to be able to slide it open half way to do the front of it?
Old 09-02-18, 08:32 AM
Kappy550
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

IT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT REMOVING SCREWS. I tilted the roof and removed the old one which was old and hard. Worked the new one into place after cleaning the glass and sunroof channel. Took 20-30 minutes including cleaning time. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 09-03-18, 10:57 AM
Kane007
Driver

Originally Posted by eddie420
dude thank you! Your pliers link led me to a set of pliers called vampliers. I just got it today and it worked! I did try regular pliers when I posted this thread originally but didn't work. These pliers are a life saver. Now I have to try to get the second screw off and it's already being a pain. By the way does anyone know the part number for these torx screws so I can order replacements?
Old 09-04-18, 06:31 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappy550
IT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT REMOVING SCREWS. I tilted the roof and removed the old one which was old and hard. Worked the new one into place after cleaning the glass and sunroof channel. Took 20-30 minutes including cleaning time. Thanks for the help everyone!

+1, absolutely not necessary to remove the screws!!! Tilt the roof up, peel away the old gasket. Try applying some silicone spray lubricant on/in the new gasket, work it in from one side to the other, smooth it out with fingers and a bone tool. Worked like a charm for me, took less than 10 minutes, no more rattle, car sounds like new (even better after I removed the noise generator).
Old 09-04-18, 05:12 PM
Kane007
Driver

Thanks for all the help guys! I was finally able to change the gasket and it seems that the clunking noise is gone now! So happy about that, now i gotta find out where the other little ticks are coming from. But the sunroof was the biggest issue so far, glad is all set now.
Old 09-29-18, 04:54 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Yup, have to take it back in this upcoming week. Ugh.
Is your sunroof still rattle free? Mine only rattles a slow speeds over bumps. I doesn't matter if roof is opened or closed. I asked tech at dealer yesterday if there were any bulletins, he checked and said no. Kind of makes me cringe to have to remove headliner if that's the case on my 18.
Old 09-29-18, 09:13 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Is your sunroof still rattle free? Mine only rattles a slow speeds over bumps. I doesn't matter if roof is opened or closed. I asked tech at dealer yesterday if there were any bulletins, he checked and said no. Kind of makes me cringe to have to remove headliner if that's the case on my 18.
So far so good. Whatever they did during the second repair did the trick. Let me find my paperwork and see what they did.

Quick Reply: Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!