GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 11:24 AM
Drewkow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torx screw adjusting question.

What do you mean you have to adjust the torx screws?
Old 12-12-17, 03:37 PM
nmlexus4gs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Wind noise fixed

South bay Lexus dealer was nice to fix the wind noise issue with my 14 GS. As my car is still under warranty, it was fixed with $0.00 cost. Looks like they replaced rubber liner and all the wind noise is now gone.
Old 12-14-17, 05:57 AM
Reston4GS
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had this issue this morning for the first time, it seems like the onset of cold weather here might have something to do with it. Headed to the dealership to price the part before I buy on the web as sometimes my parts guy can get me better deals.
Thanks for the write-up, I've got a 2013 so it seems like this would be a good thing to do regardless of whether it's my issue or not.
Old 12-17-17, 01:45 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Finally got the chance to install my new seal today. Went pretty smoothly. I used the tilt and take out two screws method. One problem I did have was that after I installed the new seal and tried to close the sunroof, it would close partially and then open again. It was like what the windows do when you close a finger in them. I was a little worried that I broke something, but I got it resolved. The problem was one of two things, or a combination of both, I hadn’t property seated the new seal on the back right corner of the sunroof. It may have gotten stuck when I tried to tilt close the sunroom. It also may have been because I when I reattached the front two screws they were not in the right spots. In any case, I seated the seal properly and closed the roof without the front two screws attached, then attached them and adjusted.

Took it for a test drive and no more clunking in the back. I suspect that the clunking from the rear roof/c pillar area was the sunroof clunking and echoing between the roof and headliner. I haven’t been able to fully test for wind noise yet because it happened mainly over 60 mph and I wasn’t on any roads where I could go 60 during the test drive.

Very happy with this project. Thanks to everyone who posted pics and tips.

One question for the forum. The back corners of the sunroof sit below the roofline. They were like that even before I installed the seal. Is this normal for you guys? See the attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails -5ef56524-8ca6-4bb8-a69f-023f04204b44.jpeg  
Old 12-18-17, 08:34 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Had a chance to test the new seal at speeds up to 85 mph last night. No wind noise! No more clunking either on my second and longer ride. My car seems so much quieter to drive. What a great fix for $45.
Old 12-18-17, 09:28 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
Finally got the chance to install my new seal today. Went pretty smoothly. I used the tilt and take out two screws method. One problem I did have was that after I installed the new seal and tried to close the sunroof, it would close partially and then open again. It was like what the windows do when you close a finger in them. I was a little worried that I broke something, but I got it resolved. The problem was one of two things, or a combination of both, I hadn’t property seated the new seal on the back right corner of the sunroof. It may have gotten stuck when I tried to tilt close the sunroom. It also may have been because I when I reattached the front two screws they were not in the right spots. In any case, I seated the seal properly and closed the roof without the front two screws attached, then attached them and adjusted.

Took it for a test drive and no more clunking in the back. I suspect that the clunking from the rear roof/c pillar area was the sunroof clunking and echoing between the roof and headliner. I haven’t been able to fully test for wind noise yet because it happened mainly over 60 mph and I wasn’t on any roads where I could go 60 during the test drive.

Very happy with this project. Thanks to everyone who posted pics and tips.

One question for the forum. The back corners of the sunroof sit below the roofline. They were like that even before I installed the seal. Is this normal for you guys? See the attached pic.
Mine sits pretty flush along the backside after I replaced it with the new seal, but as long as you don't have any leaks or issues with closing/tilting, you should be fine. The rubber may expand a bit based on the temps as well once it settles in. There is a way to adjust the resting height as posted by fellow member mryeh17:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...or-free-3.html

Last edited by AJLex19; 12-18-17 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-18-17, 10:11 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Mine sits pretty flush along the backside after I replaced it with the new seal, but as long as you don't have any leaks or issues with closing/tilting, you should be fine. The rubber may expand a bit based on the temps as well once it settles in. There is a way to adjust the resting height as posted by fellow member mryeh17:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...or-free-3.html
Thanks for the response. I assume that adjusting the back part of the glass is the same as the front... remove two screws and adjust up/down, replace two screws. Right now I am kind of of the mindset "if it's not broken don't fix it" so I will probably leave it.
Old 12-18-17, 10:57 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
My sunroof/seal fits flush at all points all the way around. The back corners do not sit lower as your image indicates. Mine has the original seal, has never been adjusted and does not make a noise or leak.
Old 12-19-17, 06:28 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by bclexus
My sunroof/seal fits flush at all points all the way around. The back corners do not sit lower as your image indicates. Mine has the original seal, has never been adjusted and does not make a noise or leak.
Thanks, maybe I will adjust the rear of the glass so it sits flush.
Old 12-21-17, 01:21 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by protocol71
For added color and detail, see the following pics. First raise up the sunroof which exposes the accordian cover.
you can pull the accordian cover from the bottom or the top. i chose the bottom for ease. this then allows for access to the front torx bolt. make note that there is a small indentation on the rear middle portion of the seal to help you align the seal properly instead of placing it on the front portion of the sunroof.
I had the described sunroof rattle...at least I think that's what it was.
These pictures were a HUGE help installing the new seal.

Bought the seal on ebay from Scottsdale Lexus. $51 delivered.
Installed in forty minutes...spent some extra time maniacally getting the moonroof flush at all four corners. I would describe it as recessed before adjustment.
Old 12-26-17, 02:44 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

added thred to here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ere-first.html
Old 12-29-17, 09:42 AM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

At the dealership for the 30k service, mentioned the moon roof rattle. They just let me know they're replacing the moon roof seal. I gather this is getting out to the dealerships.
Old 01-02-18, 07:33 PM
r4nd0
Rookie

Originally Posted by MustangSal
So my dealer solved my clunk by cleaning and lubricating the gasket. At least, that €™s what the service report says. And you know what, it worked. Dead quiet.
Same here. I was skeptical it would fix it but seems to have been quiet for over 6 months now. It used to rattle over every bump or slightly bumpy patch of road.
Old 01-03-18, 12:58 PM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Since they replaced the seal the rattling/clunking went away as well as the wind noises that used to make me feel like the rear passenger door wasn't fully closed.
Old 05-27-18, 11:46 AM
AndyG8
Driver School Candidate

Default It fixed it!!!!

OH MY GOD! I lived with this noise for months it was so horrible I was thinking about trading in my car. I searched all over the Internet and came across this fix. it sounded too good to be true but I went ahead and did it anyways. I got the weatherstrip for $43 with my discount from the Lexus dealership and I went and changed myself with these steps. Seems like this rubber piece goes bad fast. As soon as I changed it and started driving, the wind noise and rattling noise disappeared like magic!!!!!!! Thank you so much for this fix!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!