GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 04:42 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I didnt have an indentation on mine at all. I did, however, have a small drain slit and I installed that at the back. I am now concerned that it should be at the front. Anyone checking your seal..can you see a small slit cut in the dead center of the seal on the back or front? Can you tell me where it is located on your stock car?

Thanks
Old 11-14-17, 06:30 AM
protocol71
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
I didnt have an indentation on mine at all. I did, however, have a small drain slit and I installed that at the back. I am now concerned that it should be at the front. Anyone checking your seal..can you see a small slit cut in the dead center of the seal on the back or front? Can you tell me where it is located on your stock car?

Thanks
my new one had the exact same indentation/slit as the one it replaced, so yes it does have that. i also ordered mine from the same link provided earlier in the post. since the slit was only on the rear i installed it the same way.

Last edited by protocol71; 11-14-17 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-14-17, 07:01 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

whew. okay. I installed it correctly then lol thanks!!
Old 11-14-17, 07:39 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Just ordered my new seal last night. I wanted to replace my seal because of wind noise, but everyone else in here is talking about clunking. Does the clunking you guys are talking about sound like it is coming from way in the back of the car, like the C pillar area? I have some clunking back there, and if the sunroof seal fixes that too I will be so happy! I suppose it is possible that the sunroof clunks and echoes around in the gap between the headliner and the roof, making it sound like it is coming from the back of the vehicle.
Old 11-14-17, 07:54 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

I replaced mine because of wind noise. This was just a much easier way to do it than take the whole glass out.
Old 11-14-17, 08:03 AM
protocol71
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
Just ordered my new seal last night. I wanted to replace my seal because of wind noise, but everyone else in here is talking about clunking. Does the clunking you guys are talking about sound like it is coming from way in the back of the car, like the C pillar area? I have some clunking back there, and if the sunroof seal fixes that too I will be so happy! I suppose it is possible that the sunroof clunks and echoes around in the gap between the headliner and the roof, making it sound like it is coming from the back of the vehicle.
To me it doesnt even sound like its the sunroof but something further back but i think the clunk resonates all around. easy test is to just open the sunroof all the way back and then see if the rattling/clunking goes away when driving. if it does this will fix the issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by protocol71:
greys0uled (08-26-22), thisguy_06 (07-11-19)
Old 11-14-17, 08:11 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by protocol71
To me it doesnt even sound like its the sunroof but something further back but i think the clunk resonates all around. easy test is to just open the sunroof all the way back and then see if the rattling/clunking goes away when driving. if it does this will fix the issue.
Good deal, thanks. It's been pretty cold here, so I haven't been opening the sunroof, but I've been wanting to do that test. My clunking seems to come and go.
Old 11-14-17, 08:57 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I replaced it for both issues. The clunking sounds like it’s coming from somewhere in the rear. I found it by placing my hand on the sunroof glass and moving it around, which allowed me to replicate it.

Now no noise and no clunking! Best $50 I’ve spent on this car lol.
Old 11-14-17, 09:38 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by yardie876
I replaced it for both issues. The clunking sounds like it €™s coming from somewhere in the rear. I found it by placing my hand on the sunroof glass and moving it around, which allowed me to replicate it.

Now no noise and no clunking! Best $50 I €™ve spent on this car lol.
Awesome! Sounds like the same clunking I have. So excited to replace the seal and fix both these issues!
Old 11-17-17, 01:52 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

So my dealer solved my clunk by cleaning and lubricating the gasket. At least, that’s what the service report says. And you know what, it worked. Dead quiet.
Old 11-18-17, 05:19 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In my case, yes, the clunking noise sounded almost like the rear suspension. I also has wind noise, both are now gone with the new sunroof gasket!
The following users liked this post:
mtucci3 (01-22-22)
Old 12-03-17, 07:24 AM
mrcleean
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you to the op for posting this as it was much easier to remove only the two front screws. I have a 2014 that started rattling recently. It sounded like it was coming from the trunk area. Figured I would give this a shot since it would cost less than $50. Sure enough, after replacing the seal, rattle gone! Btw, I purchased mine from a Toyota dealership for a little bit less. Same part number.

https://www.oemtoyotaparts4less.com/oem-parts/toyota-weatherstrip-6325130100
The following users liked this post:
microsup (12-13-17)
Old 12-04-17, 12:18 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by protocol71
my new one had the exact same indentation/slit as the one it replaced, so yes it does have that. i also ordered mine from the same link provided earlier in the post. since the slit was only on the rear i installed it the same way.
I think I have the slit installed correctly in the rear, but no indentation exposed on the top. I might have installed the seal upside down, if that's even possible. Time to take it off and reinstall with the indentation exposed on the back rear.
Also good idea to clean the seal and apply some silicone grease.
Old 12-04-17, 03:56 AM
mrcleean
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I think I have the slit installed correctly in the rear, but no indentation exposed on the top. I might have installed the seal upside down, if that's even possible. Time to take it off and reinstall with the indentation exposed on the back rear.
Also good idea to clean the seal and apply some silicone grease.

The way the seal is designed, it would be very difficult if not impossible to install it upside down. As long as the slit is in the rear and the dots are at each corner, you should be good.
Old 12-04-17, 05:25 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

I dont think the new part has the indentation as I was looking for it as well last month and didnt see it. I have the slit in the rear and you cannot install it upside down lol

Quick Reply: Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!