GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Soft brakes, need advise

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-17, 09:14 AM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Soft brakes, need advise

I have my 2015 GS350 F-Sport AWD for over a month and I noticed that breaking(stopping) power is kind of soft compare to my previous 2003 GS300 RWD

So, I checked the rotors and break pads and everything looks pretty normal. The rotor is 30mm (min on a rotor says 27mm) pads (didn't measure but looks very beefy)
What I notice that every time when I need to break it is a little harder than usual, the break pedal goes kind of long, almost to the floor, not like short on my previous with PowerStop slotted rotors and ceramic brembo pads. So car stops very lazy, I may say it is ok when I am going from 45 to full stop, but when on a highway it is kind of scary, because stoping distance is far more then my previous one. What I also noticed, when I pump break pedal it is not getting firm, like on old one after 2-3 pumps it was stiff and almost not moving, but on a new one I can pump it and it is still behaves/fils same way.
I checked leakage, no leakage, breaking fluid level normal, color is normal. I can try to bleed fluid to check if it has an air in a system.

I understand that car is heavier, but is it normal? Please advise.

Last edited by microsup; 10-16-17 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo in title
Old 10-16-17, 09:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Hard to know exactly what yours is like but I have had no concerns with the braking ability of my '15 AWD GS. My brake pedal does not go anywhere near the floor.
Old 10-16-17, 09:35 AM
microsup
Pit Crew

OK, I was a little dramatizing. It is not going completely to the floor. I just compare it with my old one. Where I can fill the weight of the break pedal, and the stopping power was much more efficient. I do remember that my wife sometimes complains that I am stopping to hard and she had a motion thickness kind of effect (which I apologies every time ), but now it is way refined and soft.
I wonder is everyone experience kind of same filling. I just want to get rid go that bug in my head that something is not normal. Because my first intent was to replace rotors and pads to new one like R1 Concept carbon geomet rotors and ceramic pads. But after evaluation of rotor and pads condition I will wait for a while.
So question is is it still possible issue with breaks or everyone has same fillings.
Old 10-16-17, 10:04 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like you might some air in the brake lines. Try to purge the air out from the system. The brake pedal on my 2013 GS is a lot shorter and firmer than my 2006 LS430.

Also, It is "brake(s)" not "break".
Old 10-16-17, 10:43 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Not normal, change the brake fluid and bleed the system.

You can't accurately gauge brake fluid life just by looking at color...
The following users liked this post:
microsup (10-16-17)
Old 10-17-17, 10:35 AM
MTerrence
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely not my experience - I love the brakes on my car. I would absolutely look into doing a brake bleed and flush.

If you want a more aggressive pedal feel, though, consider changing to a higher-friction brake pad. Your rotor shouldn't make a difference on that front.
The following users liked this post:
microsup (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 12:14 PM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by microsup
OK, I was a little dramatizing. It is not going completely to the floor. I just compare it with my old one. Where I can fill the weight of the break pedal, and the stopping power was much more efficient. I do remember that my wife sometimes complains that I am stopping to hard and she had a motion thickness kind of effect (which I apologies every time ), but now it is way refined and soft.
I wonder is everyone experience kind of same filling. I just want to get rid go that bug in my head that something is not normal. Because my first intent was to replace rotors and pads to new one like R1 Concept carbon geomet rotors and ceramic pads. But after evaluation of rotor and pads condition I will wait for a while.
So question is is it still possible issue with breaks or everyone has same fillings.
One of my main complaints with both our prior '15 GS (non F) and our current '16 GS F Sport is the tendency for the car to pitch forward with any slightly aggressive braking. The F sport is much better than the non-F in this regard, but both cars exhibited this to some extent. If you are even a moderately aggressive driver, this is irritating and certainly can cause motion sickness (as your wife and my wife too have both complained about). If you are an aggressive driver, this is not the car for you. Actually I've never had any other car that exhibited this pitching.
Old 10-19-17, 07:51 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Doesn't sound normal to me, either. I find the brakes to be quite capable, including at highway speeds, and with a consistent pedal feel.
Old 10-20-17, 01:34 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

A little work around brakes made it a little better. Street speed - almost no issues at all. Highway speed still kind of slow stopping. Maybe it is an issue of braking pads that they are not biting enough.
I do remember from my old one if I press brakes hard on a highway, everything and everyone fly forward. On a new one the car is slows down but not quick. Will monitor it, and later on will replace a brake pads for a new ones.
Old 10-20-17, 03:58 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

+1 have brake fluid replaced. New fluid plus a purge of any air should do the trick. You should certainly do that before replacing the pads/rotors.

I recall Lexus' service interval for brake system flush is about every two years anyway.