GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Prevent Sport (S)/Sport+ (S+) mode indicator screen change on right display panel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-17, 06:56 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Prevent Sport (S)/Sport+ (S+) mode indicator screen change on right display panel?

Hi friends,

I couldn't find a topic on this, but is there any way to prevent/stop these Sport/Sport+ screens to show up on the right hand screen panel when you turn the mode selector ****? They cover up the radio/HVAC/etc controls on the right, so it can get annoying if you're fiddling around with something on the right at the same time.

I couldn't find anything in the manual on disabling this. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 10-16-17 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 07:32 AM
samsausage
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

There is an ODBII puck called "Carista" that does this and also changes other settings such as turn off the seatbelt chime. It's not cheap, they have a subscription based model that I dislike. If you are in Kansas City then you can use mine.
Old 10-16-17, 09:48 AM
samsausage
Rookie

You know, I think I may have messed up about this setting, I'm not sure if it's part of that ODBII app. I'll check it again when I get home tonight.
Old 10-16-17, 05:46 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by samsausage
You know, I think I may have messed up about this setting, I'm not sure if it's part of that ODBII app. I'll check it again when I get home tonight.
Thanks for the response samsausage. Please let me know if the Carista app can indeed prevent this behavior from happening.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 10-16-17, 06:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

The drive mode display only temporarily replaces the right-hand side of the screen for a mere 4-5 seconds. Surely you can deal with that brief disturbance during the rare times that you go to Sport mode and are [also] messing with the radio or HVAC controls at the same exact time.

My guess is that the Carista app cannot do what you want... The Carista app for Lexus is more about customizing operational things (e.g. doors locks, windows, turn signal blinks, HVAC, seat belt chime, etc.), not deep-rooted digital display screen behavior. Or, at least I'd be very surprised if Carista could do that...

Last edited by bclexus; 10-17-17 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-17-17, 11:09 AM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with bclexus. It is just a quick popup cover which is displayed for about 2-3 seconds and goes away. I don't se how it would block your interaction with right portion of the screen. Only if your passenger is trying to do something with a screen using remote touch mouse and you at the same time try to turn mode button to change driving mode. But again it only pops up for short time and only when you turn that feature on. Changing your driving mode will make that amount of showings very neglectable to consdirer that it might be annoying in the future. How many times per minute you change your driving mode If you disable it back to normal it doesn't show your normal mode. So keep your hands on a wheel and be happy
Old 10-18-17, 12:10 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

There is an ODBII puck called "Carista" that does this and also changes other settings such as turn off the seatbelt chime. It's not cheap, they have a subscription based model that I dislike. If you are in Kansas City then you can use mine.
It's worth noting that you can just do whatever mods you need done and then ditch the subscription if you really want, though. In the grand scheme of things its not that expensive, if you maintain it its only $40 a year or something. I have one and the thing already paid for itself between the seat belt chime, turning the clicker volume up, and turning the absurd lock-beep volume down.

ETA: I agree with BCLEXUS, though, I doubt this will do anything for the OPs issue with the screens. It's more for "changing certain annoyances that aren't outwardly visible".

I would love to have a hack to get rid of the thing that disables a bunch of the nav functions when the car is moving. I find it hilarious that they allow you to select a lot of things but yet you get bricked out of a lot of other things while the car is moving. And even more hilarious that if you merely stop (and not put the car in park) that these functions become unlocked... it was like they wanted to meet us halfway.

I'd also like to get rid of that stupid warning popup on the NAV startup, that thing is obnoxious. But thats probably not happening....

-Mike

Last edited by drgrant; 10-18-17 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-18-17, 01:49 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
It's worth noting that you can just do whatever mods you need done and then ditch the subscription if you really want, though. In the grand scheme of things its not that expensive, if you maintain it its only $40 a year or something. I have one and the thing already paid for itself between the seat belt chime, turning the clicker volume up, and turning the absurd lock-beep volume down.

ETA: I agree with BCLEXUS, though, I doubt this will do anything for the OPs issue with the screens. It's more for "changing certain annoyances that aren't outwardly visible".

I would love to have a hack to get rid of the thing that disables a bunch of the nav functions when the car is moving. I find it hilarious that they allow you to select a lot of things but yet you get bricked out of a lot of other things while the car is moving. And even more hilarious that if you merely stop (and not put the car in park) that these functions become unlocked... it was like they wanted to meet us halfway.

I'd also like to get rid of that stupid warning popup on the NAV startup, that thing is obnoxious. But thats probably not happening....

-Mike
I do recall seeing a video in this forum that allows you to override the "bricked out" when moving. It involved installing hardware in-line with the NAV system.

I also agree with Carista complaint. I bought my software for Android but then moved to Apple. When I went back it was subscription based. This is after them being on this forum and basically having everyone be there QA. Reality is, after my initial setting, I have no need to change settings again. They won't get my money again.
Old 10-19-17, 10:12 AM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant

-Mike
To turn that annoyance off is worth $40 per year but I believe it is not possible.
Old 10-20-17, 08:51 AM
samsausage
Rookie

I finally had a chance to try it on my Carista last night. I didn't see an option to disable the Sport message on the NAV screen. The setting that I thought might do it doesn't affect the NAV screen, it affects the screen on the main gauge cluster.

The carista app actually does change some of the display settings on our 2013+ GS's. For example, I disabled the ECO Drive indicator and I changed the LED light behavior on the dash to make it stay on Blue. (My fave setting was probably disabling the seatbelt chimes and disabling the AC ECO Mode)
It really comes down to what settings Lexus built into their system, if Lexus made a setting to enable/disable a certain screen/function, then Carista can technically flip the switch on that setting. But it won't re-write code or "hack" anything in the actual software/firmware. There are quite a few settings that we don't see that are accessible through the Lexus workshop Computer, the Carista ODBII can access some of those settings in place of the Lexus computer.

It does make me want to get my hands on a Lexus computer and see the full list of available settings... I still hope for one that enables the Seat Memory while in Drive.

I hate the Carista pricing model, it's a bit of a rip off, I only used it once.

I got the Video in Motion override, was easy to install and I think it's well worth it, I hated the grayed out menus while driving.
Old 10-20-17, 01:07 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

It does make me want to get my hands on a Lexus computer and see the full list of available settings... I still hope for one that enables the Seat Memory while in Drive..
I'm not sure why this ever got changed. Must be a safety thing? My 94 sC300 would adjust back to memory position when the button was pushed while driving