Navigation and Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-17, 01:29 PM
maiahsdad
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navigation and Remote Start

Hello everyone,

Just purchased a 2013 GS350. The car has park assist, back up camera, and NO navigation, and NO remote start. I was told at the dealer that these were standard on these cars. i just totaled my 2005 Cadillac STS4, that had ALL of these features except the rear camera. It really baffles me how EIGHT years later, we still have models like this that don't come standard with it.

So now, I'm wondering how hard is it to have these features installed in the car. According to YouTube, the remotes look the same, and the car already has a large screen like navigation would reside there. I'm seriously disappointed, and wonder if this would be hard to do? Or, is it just a matter of adding software to the car.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-15-17, 06:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Forget it!

Did you buy the car sight-unseen, not to realize it didn't have navigation? You have a super rare GS 350, because 99.99999999% have NAV...
Old 10-16-17, 06:51 AM
r3dl4b3l
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

pic of the interior? I think the GS's without Nav had a smaller screen but you mentioned it has a large screen.

No Nav

vs
Nav
Old 10-16-17, 06:58 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

^ That was my understanding as well. That everyone with the 12" screen got that because the nav is homed on the left and other controls on the right
Old 10-16-17, 11:56 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The remote start question is easy, have an aftermarket starter installed and it will be less expensive
and work better at longer range than the Lexus unit. 2013 & 2014's did not have the Lexus Enform
Remote feature so you can not pay too much for it even if you wanted to

The Navigation situation is not easily remedied. The factory system is deeply integrated into the cars
wheel speed sensors and the remote touch controller on the console and... Get the nicest Garmin you
can and/or use Waze on a nice iPad Mini w/4G.
Old 10-16-17, 12:09 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

are you sure you aren't just missing the navigation SD chip?
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (10-16-17)
Old 10-17-17, 08:41 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

He doesn't have it he has the 8" screen.. NAV may have become standard in the 2014 that sucks but you have to blame yourself for not checking.
Old 10-17-17, 10:18 AM
maiahsdad
Driver

Originally Posted by lovemyGSFS
He doesn't have it he has the 8" screen.. NAV may have become standard in the 2014 that sucks but you have to blame yourself for not checking.
I just totalled my 2008Cadillac STS-V. I needed car quickly. I saw plenty on lot. Sales guy said big screen has NAV, AWD, ALL heated and cooled seats, Remote start.... Now that I played with it, I can't find ANY of it. I thought I HAD to be missing something cause my STS-V had it ALL....And it's 2009. SURELY it is standard on this car being FIVE YEARS YOUNGER..

They have NO return policy. SO I'm stuck. Yup... my fault.

Last edited by maiahsdad; 10-17-17 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Grammee
Old 10-17-17, 10:35 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Do you have the listing page that was attached to the car when you first saw it?
Not the As Is Disclosure sheet but a feature page with the VIN and highlights of
the Engine/Trans/Miles/NAVIGATION level of features. If is lists Remote Start and
or Nav and the car doesn't have it you can jam the "no return" policy up the tailpipe.
Old 10-17-17, 11:54 AM
LEP XEP
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you post your interior pictures especially the screen area?

Originally Posted by maiahsdad
Hello everyone,

Just purchased a 2013 GS350. The car has park assist, back up camera, and NO navigation, and NO remote start. I was told at the dealer that these were standard on these cars. i just totaled my 2005 Cadillac STS4, that had ALL of these features except the rear camera. It really baffles me how EIGHT years later, we still have models like this that don't come standard with it.

So now, I'm wondering how hard is it to have these features installed in the car. According to YouTube, the remotes look the same, and the car already has a large screen like navigation would reside there. I'm seriously disappointed, and wonder if this would be hard to do? Or, is it just a matter of adding software to the car.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-17-17, 12:43 PM
Ak1m0to
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remote Start - Press the lock button on your key fob 3 times.
On the third time, hold the lock button for about 30 seconds.
You'll notice that the blinker and side mirror lights will start flashing and the car will start.

Does your control pad for the menu system look like this?
Old 10-17-17, 12:53 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I just totalled my 2008Cadillac STS-V. I needed car quickly. I saw plenty on lot. Sales guy said big screen has NAV, AWD, ALL heated and cooled seats, Remote start.... Now that I played with it, I can't find ANY of it. I thought I HAD to be missing something cause my STS-V had it ALL....And it's 2009. SURELY it is standard on this car being FIVE YEARS YOUNGER..

I've never used my OEM nav, I use my phone and have the Bluetooth voice come over the car speakers, the OEM nav sucks, the maps were 2 years out of date when I bought the car, and I will not pay $200-$300 for yearly map updates when Waze is free.

I've owned 4 cars since 2005 with OEM nav, and they have all sucked. if it wasn't standard on my car, I would not purchase it as an option.
Old 10-18-17, 12:52 PM
r3dl4b3l
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Which screen do you have? The one in the first or second picture I posted. Interior pics are welcome as well
Old 10-18-17, 01:53 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Look at all of the other competitors to the 2013 GS350 and none of them had navigation as standard equipment. Some of them still even charged for a backup camera, which was standard on the GS. It wasn't until the 2015MY that Lexus made navigation and remote start standard for the GS350. As others have mentioned, you managed to find one of the few GS350 with no navigation. Next time, do your research and don't assume...

It'll be way to expensive to retrofit a nav unit. You could go the phone mirroring method instead with this aftermarket kit, but you may want to check compatibility with the company first: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/if04ep.html

You could go aftermarket for remote start.

Last edited by dchar; 10-18-17 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-20-17, 05:43 AM
maiahsdad
Driver

Originally Posted by mcomer
Do you have the listing page that was attached to the car when you first saw it?
Not the As Is Disclosure sheet but a feature page with the VIN and highlights of
the Engine/Trans/Miles/NAVIGATION level of features. If is lists Remote Start and
or Nav and the car doesn't have it you can jam the "no return" policy up the tailpipe.
She sheet was not on the window. Went back yesterday and salesman and shop forman at the dealer both said they thought Lexus was standard with all those attributes. That's why they said it so quickly. I'm driving back in there Monday to work something out. They admitted they were misinformed, thus misinformed me.

Next. They said that the fact that it's rear-wheel drive only isn't an issue because of the "Snow Mode" ability that's coming with more of the high-end cars now. They said that it's just as good as AWD, so I should be just fine. I live in Indiana where we can have trecherous winter snows. But I'm FROM North Carolina where we don't even have many snow trucks period. I've always purchased AWD vehicles. And so I'm not sure I'm buying this... "just as good" technology with only the rear wheels pulling in snow. Even if it can help get from A to Z, it can't help me get up my driveway like my AWD STS-V could.

Navigation - They said that I should be able to download the appropriate mobile app (Android) that will match up to the car's system (not sure what it uses... but it's NOT MirrorLink), and should be fine to mirrow the maps from smartphone to screen on car. Yes, I have the SMALLER of the two screens. So, that means NO NAV. CRAP!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Navigation and Remote Start