GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Navigation and Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 05:44 AM
maiahsdad
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Do you have the listing page that was attached to the car when you first saw it?
Not the As Is Disclosure sheet but a feature page with the VIN and highlights of
the Engine/Trans/Miles/NAVIGATION level of features. If is lists Remote Start and
or Nav and the car doesn't have it you can jam the "no return" policy up the tailpipe.
Originally Posted by r3dl4b3l
Which screen do you have? The one in the first or second picture I posted. Interior pics are welcome as well
The FIRST one.
Old 10-20-17, 07:16 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by maiahsdad
She sheet was not on the window. Went back yesterday and salesman and shop forman at the dealer both said they thought Lexus was standard with all those attributes. That's why they said it so quickly. I'm driving back in there Monday to work something out. They admitted they were misinformed, thus misinformed me.

Next. They said that the fact that it's rear-wheel drive only isn't an issue because of the "Snow Mode" ability that's coming with more of the high-end cars now. They said that it's just as good as AWD, so I should be just fine. I live in Indiana where we can have trecherous winter snows. But I'm FROM North Carolina where we don't even have many snow trucks period. I've always purchased AWD vehicles. And so I'm not sure I'm buying this... "just as good" technology with only the rear wheels pulling in snow. Even if it can help get from A to Z, it can't help me get up my driveway like my AWD STS-V could.
Is this real life? It seems that you have purchased a car that you know nothing about. A quick google of the things you mention would go a long way.

You are also susceptible to being completely bamboozled by the sales man. If anyone ever told me that "RWD with snow mode is as good as AWD" I would call the state mental health clinic and tell them to expect a patient for evaluation. As someone who drives a REALLY heavy RWD car with snow mode I can tell you that any snow...even the lightest dusting will leave you completely stranded without snow tires.

Honestly, I have no idea what you would even do in this situation. You were not coerced into buying this car. You were not forced into it. You just made a string of bad decisions that you are probably just going to have to live with or take your lump and sell the car.
Old 10-20-17, 09:08 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
Is this real life? It seems that you have purchased a car that you know nothing about. A quick google of the things you mention would go a long way.

You are also susceptible to being completely bamboozled by the sales man. If anyone ever told me that "RWD with snow mode is as good as AWD" I would call the state mental health clinic and tell them to expect a patient for evaluation. As someone who drives a REALLY heavy RWD car with snow mode I can tell you that any snow...even the lightest dusting will leave you completely stranded without snow tires.

Honestly, I have no idea what you would even do in this situation. You were not coerced into buying this car. You were not forced into it. You just made a string of bad decisions that you are probably just going to have to live with or take your lump and sell the car.
On FWD or RWD cars snow tires and snow mode are equal if not better than AWD with summer or all season tires.

Obvioulsy AWD with snow tires would be the best option. In most cases

Old 10-20-17, 09:34 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

A second set of wheels with Winter tires will cost about the same as the difference in a New RWD vs AWD.
A RWD with winter tires will Stop and Steer better than an AWD with all-seasons.

The phone based Nav Apps (Waze is the best!) will NOT display anything on the GS dash but will
speak through the Bluetooth connection to the car speakers if you go into the App settings and
enable "treat notifications as a phone call". Your radio will mute for both phone calls and Nav comments.
Be advised that Nav Apps such as Waze use a lot of battery, plan on keeping it plugged into the
12v socket with an adapter (not the USB jack which is only flowing 500 milliamps, ie. 1/2 an Amp)
Old 10-20-17, 10:12 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
On FWD or RWD cars snow tires and snow mode are equal if not better than AWD with summer or all season tires.

Obvioulsy AWD with snow tires would be the best option. In most cases

https://youtu.be/iXjzYbpt9Ow
My Kia K900 has a good set of snows right now and is RWD and has snow mode. The thing is a tank in the winter. I cannot wait until I put those snows on all 4 corners of my AWD GS. That should be like driving in summer at that point!
Old 10-20-17, 06:06 PM
Chiadon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoever says RWD with snow tires is as good as AWD hasn't driven a good AWD. I live in Indiana as well and know first hand that I having a Subaru that the AWD is simply amazing in the snow. That's why I went with the AWD in the GS as well.
I would suggest you take this dealer to court if need to return the car if you have documentation for the NAV and AWD
Old 10-22-17, 09:27 AM
maiahsdad
Driver

Originally Posted by Ak1m0to
Remote Start - Press the lock button on your key fob 3 times.
On the third time, hold the lock button for about 30 seconds.
You'll notice that the blinker and side mirror lights will start flashing and the car will start.

Does your control pad for the menu system look like this?
nope. Just the arrow for the compass.

And another thing. There's been so many that keep telling me I should have understood things before I purchased this car. Listen, I didn't know anything about Lexus, and had no desire to purchase one. this 1 was sitting there and the salesman who seemed knowledgeable, and came highly recommended by a friend, gave me all of the information. If I had been in search of a Lexus, I would've done plenty of homework before I went looking. So again, I am not stupid. I don't have very much knowledge as far as this particular model is concerned. But having gone to school and obtained a phD I have the ability to atleast learn some things. So, I was not looking for a Lexus, and as never had one, nor do I know anyone else with 1. I needed a car, I was looking for a nother Cadillac like I had, or an S UV. None of those were available and so he suggested this, follwed by all of the information that he indicated it had. That's it. I told him to features that I needed for it to have, and he indicated that all these were present on the car.

When I informed them of their error, they scheduled me for a meeting tomorrow to see if I would like to trade vehicles, drive this one until they can find me a nother 1 with the features I need, or just let me out of the contract.

Please note that my specific comments were not aimed at the poster of this message. I really appreciate the help that everyone has given, that were really trying to help me.

Last edited by maiahsdad; 10-22-17 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Dictative text corrections
Old 10-23-17, 07:42 AM
r3dl4b3l
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maiahsdad
nope. Just the arrow for the compass.

And another thing. There's been so many that keep telling me I should have understood things before I purchased this car. Listen, I didn't know anything about Lexus, and had no desire to purchase one. this 1 was sitting there and the salesman who seemed knowledgeable, and came highly recommended by a friend, gave me all of the information. If I had been in search of a Lexus, I would've done plenty of homework before I went looking. So again, I am not stupid. I don't have very much knowledge as far as this particular model is concerned. But having gone to school and obtained a phD I have the ability to atleast learn some things. So, I was not looking for a Lexus, and as never had one, nor do I know anyone else with 1. I needed a car, I was looking for a nother Cadillac like I had, or an S UV. None of those were available and so he suggested this, follwed by all of the information that he indicated it had. That's it. I told him to features that I needed for it to have, and he indicated that all these were present on the car.

When I informed them of their error, they scheduled me for a meeting tomorrow to see if I would like to trade vehicles, drive this one until they can find me a nother 1 with the features I need, or just let me out of the contract.

Please note that my specific comments were not aimed at the poster of this message. I really appreciate the help that everyone has given, that were really trying to help me.
That's good to hear that the dealer is willing to work with you on swapping cars. Definitely test drive it and play with the features in the car before accepting the replacement.
Old 10-23-17, 08:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by r3dl4b3l
That's good to hear that the dealer is willing to work with you on swapping cars. Definitely test drive it and play with the features in the car before accepting the replacement.
Before buying any vehicle (brand or model) the buyer should research that vehicle to learn all about the different versions (base, premium, luxury, F-Sport, AWD) and options (NAV, BSM, IPA, Heated steering wheel, Levinson Audio, Heads Up Display, etc., etc.) so he/she knows not only what features and options the vehicle has ... but also what [available] features and options it does not have.

The explanation the OP gave for buying this car not knowing anything about it except what the salesperson told him (options which he failed to confirm) is doltish.
Old 10-23-17, 10:20 AM
maiahsdad
Driver

Love the peanut butter amd black inteior.
Current car has this fin none on other car.
Seems to sit a littlelower rhan the AWD model. As if this is more built for apeed... not sure.
Seems lower profile.
Well, they have found and all wheel drive 2013 Lexus GS350 with half the mileage on it. But for some reason it does not look as sporty as the 1 that I have now. The one that I have now is rear wheel drive, without the navigation system. But it looks so much sportier than the all wheel drive that they have found me. So, on one hand I like the fact that this all will drive model has half the mileage, and has the navigation Built-in. But on the other hand, this 1I have is more sportier with a fin on the back. I thought they would be more comparable than this period the 1I have that's rear wheel drive sits lower to the ground. The all wheel drive model sits up high and doesn't look sporty at all. Now I've got a bigger decision to make. Any ideas really quickly before I pull the trigger? And my current interior is the color of peanut butter and black. Mileage on mine is just over 75000 mileage on the all wheel drive is just over 32000. This is such a hard decision to make. And, they discount the all drive down to where my payment is only $10 more per month. Everything else stays the same. I hope you get asked about it before I drive the all wheel drive one. It's just black on black. I'll try to shoot some pictures of my current car.

Last edited by maiahsdad; 10-24-17 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Add Pics
Old 10-23-17, 11:12 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

You need to research and learn about the different versions (and options) of the GS 350 before doing anything!!! It sounds like the one you have now is maybe a F-Sport model...and the model they are now offering you is an AWD model, which has a different front end, sits higher and does not have some of the features the F-Sport (if indeed it is an F-Sport) has. It is clear that you do not have a clue what you are doing... Spend some time and do your homework!!!

Note: Post made before OP added pictures...

Last edited by bclexus; 10-23-17 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-23-17, 11:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Do you have any pictures of the 2013 they are proposing? That would help us to help you.
Old 10-23-17, 11:36 AM
maiahsdad
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
You need to research and learn about the different versions (and options) of the GS 350 before doing anything!!! It sounds like the one you have now is maybe a F-Sport model...and the model they are now offering you is an AWD model, which has a different front end, sits higher and does not have some of the features the F-Sport (if indeed it is an F-Sport) has. It is clear that you do not have a clue what you are doing... Spend some time and do your homework!!!
It's not an F sport. To the naked eye, both front ends look identical. One is just sitting higher up then the other. That is all. Which, is what I said in my dissertation. It sounds like you don't have a clue what I wrote. If there was a difference in models or packages, I would have indicated that. My current as no navigation and not all wheel drive. The proposed one has both of these items. Cosmetically I like the current one. The trunk sin makes it seem sportier. But maybe I can purchase one of those from Lexus.. But it's still not an F sport. They both have the same front and back ends. Just the all wheel drive seemed to sit up a little higher.

Last edited by maiahsdad; 10-23-17 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Edits
Old 10-23-17, 11:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

AWD does indeed sit 0.6" higher than RWD models.
Old 10-23-17, 12:05 PM
meaks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your main concerns seem to be the interior color, rear spoiler and ride height on the new one and on the old one AWD and NAV. Since your current one is RWD, isn't an F Sport or Luxury and has more than double the miles I would go with the AWD/NAV one. You can easily put a spoiler on for cheap (look here) and you can get coilovers down the road for ride height; you can't take off miles, change the drivetrain or add NAV as cheaply or easily.
The following users liked this post:
maiahsdad (10-26-17)

Quick Reply: Navigation and Remote Start