2014-2015 Lexus GS 350 vs 2016 Lexus ES

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 12:31 AM
LVB
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2014-2015 Lexus GS 350 vs 2016 Lexus ES

Hey guys,

So I'm looking to buy a Lexus and move on from Toyota. I like the new ES design, as well as the GS design. My budget is very limited, under 40K for sure. I looked at CPO 2014-2015 with 30-40K miles for around 37-38K, 3K more for F sport. Then looked online outside of CPO and found many off-lease, one owner low mileage ones around 31-33K F and non F sport, so basically the CPO program is 5K. Is it worth it? Should I get a non-CPO and buy a Lexus extended warranty after? Is that even necessary (Say 2015)?

Secondly, reliability. How does the GS do? The ES? which one is better? I love performance and comfort, but performance is not a deal breaker. Which one will save me more (other than gas)? I love comfort too. I really would appreciate advice folks, thank you.
The following users liked this post:
ninaminama (05-24-23)
Old 10-11-17, 03:07 AM
pvsmith
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess it depends on what you like when it comes down to the GS vs. ES. In July I bought a 2011 GS 350, after test driving a 2012 ES 350. The ES seemed wider and bigger than I wanted. I also liked the GS being a separate Lexus frame and the ES is built on a Camry-type frame (or at least it was).

I like my GS for its sporty, smaller feel. After 18 months of looking I decided to go with a non-CPO car, then pay the dealership about $150 to do the CPO check-over after I bought it. Sure, it was already my car then when they did the check-over, but it gave me the peace of mind that I had a decent car without paying the full-ticket for the CPO. After I saw what they did for the CPO, I wasn't very impressed and glad I didn't pay all that extra for the CPO label when I bought. The car I bought was reported having an accident on the CarFax, but the dealership could not find any indication where the damage occurred. By the way, my GS had 15,000 actual miles on it and I paid $23,000 for it. And other than needing a good wax job (since it sat on the dealership lot for 400-plus days) I haven't found a single issue with the car.

Go to the JD Power reliability reports and take them apart. They have some amazing analysis for several years that you can use to help you make your decision.
Old 10-11-17, 03:46 AM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Having traded a '16 ES for a '17 GS, I will give you an observation: Certainly, $$ make a difference and I am biased in my view because I was OK paying for both vehicles new (having spent the big 'chunk' with the ES in 2016 made paying the difference for the GS feel easier).
Basically, you ride in an ES and you drive a GS. Both literally and figuratively. I have a mountain road that is about an hour drive to a business I own that I drive once a week. When NOT driving that highway I really liked the ES; when trying 'spirited' driving it just was so disappointing. I am not a kid, but I really like to drive and the soft front-drive setup just never let me feel any sense of satisfaction of performance. However, for a interstate cruiser and just around town it was perfect; loved the size.
As for the GS, someone mentioned that the GS is smaller and for a few days after trade I was aware that the cabin was tighter; after a week or so it actually felt better. I love the rear drive setup and the free revving motor when I'm in the mountains; the GS loves to be pushed through the curves. The freeway ride is almost ES quality and the quietness when cruising is the same. Mileage is 24-25 and the GS was 26-27, so no real distinction (if I keep my foot our of the accelerator).
I made the fight decision if money is a 2nd decision maker. In buying used there is probably less difference and you can make the choice on what you want, not what it cost. Good luck on your hunt!
Old 10-11-17, 04:10 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

My wife can have the ES. It’s posh and foofy. It totes groceries with the best of them.

I solved the mileage vs performance issue by going with a 450h Fsprt. As far as I know, 2013-14s can be found for way under $40k. Heck, you could probably find a 2015 450h in that price range right now. You get GS styling, Fsprt performance, better than ES mileage (30-32).
ninaminama (05-24-23)
Old 10-11-17, 09:34 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Most reports and experiences are the GS is pretty reliable. I would not invest much in a extended warranty or pay extra for a CPO.
Old 10-11-17, 10:09 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

CPO is an upsell. *****!! Plus all the crap they try to shove down your throat at signing... these cars are forever, just take care of them.
The ES is very handsome car, not as quiet or handle as good as the GS.
I heard GS hardly ever comes in for service issues, I'm talking serious issues.
ninaminama (05-24-23)
Old 10-11-17, 11:09 AM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

FYI- the 16 ES I traded had $10k of front end damage after hitting a deer. The lexus dealer made it CPO, so don’t think that CPO means it’s a perfect “cherry”. Still gotta do your homework on a used car.
Old 10-11-17, 11:20 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I also traded a 2016 ES for my 2016 GS. The build quality is not even close to comparison. ES feels cheap. Don't get me wrong, it's still a really nice car. In the end, it comes down to what you want. I wanted AWD piece of mind, as well as performance. Also, a lot of the ESs are being built here. I prefer the Japanese built quality.
Old 10-11-17, 11:49 AM
enguyen88
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

L/Certified is roughly $1500. To me it was worth it. I bought my 15 F Sport with 38k miles for $37k a few months ago. The dealer had to recertify the car since it was close to 40k miles. They changed brakes and tires before I took delivery of the car. That alone made it worth it for me. But L/Certified also extends factory warranty with unlimited miles.
Old 10-11-17, 12:29 PM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by enguyen88
L/Certified is roughly $1500. To me it was worth it. I bought my 15 F Sport with 38k miles for $37k a few months ago. The dealer had to recertify the car since it was close to 40k miles. They changed brakes and tires before I took delivery of the car. That alone made it worth it for me. But L/Certified also extends factory warranty with unlimited miles.

Seems kindof high, 38k miles 2015 F-Sport for $37k in California?
Old 10-11-17, 12:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

As others have correctly commented, it really depends on your priorities in your car.

I chose the GS over the ES because I do not care for FWD or such a soft suspension. I liked that the GS had a much more upscale interior, the availability of AWD, more power, and it handles like a much smaller car. It's a confident highway cruiser yet I can stiffen up the suspension and toss it around some curves with ease.

The ES has the larger interior and is less expensive, which are both very appealing aspects of the car.

I lease my cars because I get bored every 2-3 years. I'm just about at the 2 year point on the GS and I still love it, perhaps even more than the day I bought it. I have a 3 year lease and the thought of only one more year with the GS upsets me, so I am planning on buying it out of the lease to keep it for several more years.

They're both really good options, but the GS offers me much more of what I am looking for in terms of a driving experience than the ES.
ninaminama (05-24-23)
Old 10-11-17, 12:46 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I also traded a 2016 ES for my 2016 GS. The build quality is not even close to comparison. ES feels cheap. Don't get me wrong, it's still a really nice car. In the end, it comes down to what you want. I wanted AWD piece of mind, as well as performance. Also, a lot of the ESs are being built here. I prefer the Japanese built quality.
Completely agree!
Old 10-11-17, 02:08 PM
enguyen88
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a crafted line.

Originally Posted by Wincer94
Seems kindof high, 38k miles 2015 F-Sport for $37k in California?
Old 10-11-17, 05:08 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

You might want to check your prices on the GS. I just bought a 1 owner off lease CPO 2014 GS350 F-SPORT for 33.5k with 26k miles, and they put brand new continentals and brakes before I took delivery.
Old 10-12-17, 02:35 PM
samsausage
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked a 2014 GS 350 AWD because:
1. It was Rear Wheel Drive (Well, mine is AWD, but RWD platform)
2. The interior was much, much better to me. More leather, more soft touch materials... I always touch everything before I buy a car and the ES had hard plastic in more areas than I would like.
3. Double pane side windows (Luxury package, not sure if the ES has this option)
4. Rear Climate control & rear door sun visors (Luxury package, not sure if the ES has this option)
Several other things also feel a bit more refined to me on the GS than the ES. For example the rear sunshade is a perfect fit on my GS, but on the ES it leaves several inches of room on the sides. I know that's being picky, but with cars over $50k I am picky. That same theme and overall impression of better fit and finish can be seen in several areas between the GS and ES. (And should to justify the price difference)
5. Adjustable suspension on Luxury & F-Sport (albeit, limited adjustment)
6. Little sporty touches like the air ducts going to the front brakes to cool them.
7. I liked the winter package that came on mine, larger heater core and electric heating elements on the windshield. (Not sure if the ES has this also)

My biggest negatives are:
1. Memory seat only works in park - useless (Probably a Lexus thing)
2. Rear seat could use more legroom
3. Front seats have great adjustability, but they are too firm for long trips, I think the ES was a lot softer. (Sometimes I think "Sport" = "Uncomfortable")

Last edited by samsausage; 10-12-17 at 02:42 PM.
ninaminama (05-24-23)

Quick Reply: 2014-2015 Lexus GS 350 vs 2016 Lexus ES