GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hudly Heads Up Display..

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-17, 07:41 AM
darylcf108
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hudly Heads Up Display..

Has anyone installed Hudly Heads Up Display in there Lexus GS350? I have heard that this is the best hud you can find. My Lexus didn't come with that feature.
Old 10-09-17, 11:18 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by darylcf108
Has anyone installed Hudly Heads Up Display in there Lexus GS350? I have heard that this is the best hud you can find. My Lexus didn't come with that feature.
never heard of it and I'm sure it's a lot to install
Old 10-09-17, 11:32 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Hudly hangs from the visor: it is rather bulky and personally I can see an issue with the visor having problems with the weight over time, unless you choose to remove the visor and bolt it to the headliner.. it also has a sticky for the windshield but every review I have read says it fails if the windshield gets too hot..

Last edited by mjeds; 10-09-17 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-09-17, 11:37 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

personally I have the NAVDY, which sits on the dash, and is an all in one unit. and easily moved between vehicles if you have multiple cars.. Where the Hudly has a projector and a screen and is two separate units, also the Hudly screen is rather annoying to have hanging from your windshield, just as annoying as those reflective squares you have to install for the cheap ebay "HUD" displays.

I was on the kickstarter for Navdy, and was one of the early adopters, I have found the company to be outstanding with regards to service, they instantly replaced my beta unit when it failed after about a month, and then replaced the replacement beta unit with a retail unit when it finally went into full production.

It has regular updates and it's GPS system is second only to Waze IMO, it works very well, it also integrates your phone for SMS messages and calls, and connects to the car via ODBII. I personally have the phone integration disabled as all I want is temp/speed/rpm and trip information on the HUD.. it also uses hand gesture technology, (the camera in the image below) so you can wave your hand one way to dismiss a message or the other way to bring one up, it also has a pinwheel remote that attaches to the steering wheel and works similar to the way the old ipod click wheel worked, rotate and push for various menus. it is quite intuitive and it does very well to keep you focused on the road.

I like it overall, my only complaint is that it does get wonky if left sitting in the heat all day, it will tell you it is overheated and it won't start up until it lowers the temp to a safe level (typically driving for 5 minutes with the AC on high) so I remove it from the mount and place it in front of the LCD screen when I am parked (and place a sun screen in the window), also makes it less conspicuous for would be smash and grabbers, the base is a magnetic mount so it takes 1 second to snap into place.

Last edited by mjeds; 10-09-17 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-09-17, 01:37 PM
darylcf108
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks mjeds,
Does the viewing lense shake much during driving? And how do you feel about it being on your dash? Is it bulky?? I looked into Navdy but was warned that it shakes too much during driving which in turn wouldn't help the driver much with keeping eyes on the road. I don't know how I feel about either units? They both have there own pros and cons. I think I'm would prefer having something a lot smaller on my dash whereas it wouldn't be so noticeable.
Old 10-09-17, 05:28 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darylcf108
Thanks mjeds,
Does the viewing lense shake much during driving? And how do you feel about it being on your dash? Is it bulky?? I looked into Navdy but was warned that it shakes too much during driving which in turn wouldn't help the driver much with keeping eyes on the road. I don't know how I feel about either units? They both have there own pros and cons. I think I'm would prefer having something a lot smaller on my dash whereas it wouldn't be so noticeable.
I agree it is a bit big, but not much you can do about that with any aftermarket HUD unit.. lots of parts needed to make them project.

I don't have shake, but I use the flat mat "stand" it comes with 3 different stands, the flat mat, which is a big rubber mat with the magnetic base in the middle, Left in the below picture, the flat mat is all that can be used on the RCF due to the rake of the windshield, the other stands are too tall.

the short base and the tall base (center and right in image) do shake a lot because they are basically a thin pole the heavy unit has to rest on, and no matter how tight you make them they still vibrate, the flat mat doesn't vibrate.

The drawback to the flat mat is that you have to have it at the highest point of your dash, in the case of the RCF this means all the way at the rear edge, otherwise it is simply pointed down at the hood.. What I did was to get 2 flat mats and cut the front rubber section off of one, and put it under the same part on the one on the car, this raised the front of the Navdy up enough to float where I wanted it, and since it is sticky it stays in place, the full mat sticks to it and it sticks to the dash (like those sticky pads for phones and such).

I had built in HUD on my last 2 cars and I missed it, while it is a bit big, I don't find it an issue, and as I said with the flat mat it doesn't vibrate,

with these, yeah there is vibration:

Old 10-09-17, 05:29 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

I'll take some pictures of my install when I get home tonight.. so you can see what I mean and how it looks from the drivers seat
Old 10-09-17, 08:09 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Up close so you can see how it projects out

From Driver Position

how it sits on the dash

How I propped it up so it is projected up instead of into hood because dash slops downward at the front.
The following users liked this post:
darylcf108 (10-10-17)
Old 10-10-17, 10:44 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I love HUDs, had one in a Pontiac Grand Prix, but I could never bring myself to go aftermarket, especially in a car that's already pretty expensive/nice. Just my opinion. Those HUDs look interesting, though.
Old 10-10-17, 10:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A very cheap looking JC Whitney like item for a luxury vehicle.
If you can't have the real thing.....
The following users liked this post:
JerryT (10-10-17)
Old 10-10-17, 06:13 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A very cheap looking JC Whitney like item for a luxury vehicle.
If you can't have the real thing.....
not a cheap JC Whitney like item thank you.. $400+ and a fully functional HUD integrated system that links car, phone, and driver.

sorry if it's not your cup of tea, no reason to insult those that use them though..

yeah it sucks an $80K RCF doesn't have one built in, but the Navdy does the job I want it to do, maybe for you driving a "luxury" car is some type of status symbol, but for me it a mode of transportation, I drive what I drive because I like the make/model. don't care if it is an 80 year old hot rod or a spanking new $80k Lexus, there are certain functionalities I like to have, and if Lexus or any other manufacturer is not capable of providing them, I provide them myself.. my car my choice.
Old 10-11-17, 07:47 AM
Neles
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I love HUDs, had one in a Pontiac Grand Prix, but I could never bring myself to go aftermarket, especially in a car that's already pretty expensive/nice. Just my opinion. Those HUDs look interesting, though.
I completely agree. Sometimes I think about pulling the trigger on getting the OEM dash with HUD lol. But then I look at the prices and quickly come back to my senses.
Old 10-11-17, 01:25 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't have a HUD in my 2015 AWD F-Sport and I was always wonder what is that, and how much info it is showing. So was watching video and was surprised how little info you will see on that display. Which is making total no sense for me to install an OEM one. The 3rd party one is much more robust unit, and make sense for people who really want to see a lot of info on a windshield. Still kind of bulky to my personal taste, but if someone likes it, so it is the way to go.
Old 10-11-17, 02:06 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I too was surprised by the lack of information the OWM HUD shows. Coming from a car that shows blind spot notifications as well as lane departure notifications, NAV, cruise control speed and so on...it just isn't worth the money on these older models for the HUD. I am putting my old eBay HUD in my GS when I get it in 2 weeks