GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mark Levinson or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-17, 03:34 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Mark Levinson or aftermarket?

So ive been heavily researching and shopping a newer body f sport gs for a long time. I am somewhat of an audiophile and have had many aftermarket systems in my day. I know there are many on this form that would disagree with ever changing the Mark Levinson as they believe it is better than anything you could buy on your own. I used to have an 08 IS with Mark Levinson and although it was pretty good for stock it was nowhere near the power and clarity of my old $3000 aftermarket system. That was a stereo you could FEEL.

I am willing to compromise some sound since putting an aftermarket system in these newer cars integrating with factory navigation is a royal pain. However has anyone installed a moderately priced after market system in a non-Mark Levinson car? This would make my shopping much easier since most newer Lexuses are not the mark Levinson . If I could get new speakers front and back, amps, and sound processor along with a simple 10 inch sub for under two grand installed I would be down for that, but I’m not sure that’s possible.
Old 10-01-17, 05:31 PM
jagsfan201
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious to see this answer as well, although my thought is ML will win
Old 10-01-17, 05:50 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

If you were buying brand new and planning to keep the car a while, I'd say aftermarket can be a considerably better deal given the high price tag of ML. In the used market, it doesn't really command much more than a non-ML car.

If you search the forum, you'll find lots of folks have done aftermarket in the 4GS with varying degrees.

For example, a good sub/amp thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...p-install.html
and another:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ny-advice.html
Old 10-01-17, 08:52 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spoogenet
If you were buying brand new and planning to keep the car a while, I'd say aftermarket can be a considerably better deal given the high price tag of ML. In the used market, it doesn't really command much more than a non-ML car.

If you search the forum, you'll find lots of folks have done aftermarket in the 4GS with varying degrees.

For example, a good sub/amp thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...p-install.html
and another:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ny-advice.html

thanks ill have a look. The ML seems to win in terms of initial cost and resale. Aftermarket would certainly blow it away but at what cost to me? Im certainly not interested in dumping $4-5000 on an aftermarket system...
Old 10-02-17, 07:44 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

ML in the GS isn't very good.
The following users liked this post:
lexus4jess (08-30-23)
Old 10-02-17, 10:00 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
ML in the GS isn't very good.
I concur! ML in my 2015 GS 350 F-Sport is weak compared to ELS sound in our new 2017 MDX.
The bass is virtually non existence in the Lexus. I don't like how I can't tweak the Subwoofer volume.
ELS sound is much clearer to my ears and I can tweak, bass, treble, and sub separately.
As I turn the volume up on the GS, bass roll-off starts around 40 on the dial...after that it starts to distorts and rattles.
In the MDX, I can go all the way up, with zero distortion or bass roll-off that I can hear.

But my $3K aftermarket system in my 2006 4runner beat the pants out of both of these systems.
I'm running a Pioneer NEX 4201 with Alpine PDX-V9 driving Image Dynamics ID65CS/ID65 set and JL 12" sub.
Sound Deadening all doors and hatch. Bass hits really hard! And I got Android Auto/Apple CarPlay.

Too bad we can't do much to the audio system in the GS. Adding a just a sub is such a PITA project!
Old 10-02-17, 07:36 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I concur! ML in my 2015 GS 350 F-Sport is weak compared to ELS sound in our new 2017 MDX.
The bass is virtually non existence in the Lexus. I don't like how I can't tweak the Subwoofer volume.
ELS sound is much clearer to my ears and I can tweak, bass, treble, and sub separately.
As I turn the volume up on the GS, bass roll-off starts around 40 on the dial...after that it starts to distorts and rattles.
In the MDX, I can go all the way up, with zero distortion or bass roll-off that I can hear.

But my $3K aftermarket system in my 2006 4runner beat the pants out of both of these systems.
I'm running a Pioneer NEX 4201 with Alpine PDX-V9 driving Image Dynamics ID65CS/ID65 set and JL 12" sub.
Sound Deadening all doors and hatch. Bass hits really hard! And I got Android Auto/Apple CarPlay.

Too bad we can't do much to the audio system in the GS. Adding a just a sub is such a PITA project!
Do you think I could add a good system to the non ml gs for $2000 or less? I already own 2 good amps. 4 channel and 2 channel sub
Old 10-02-17, 08:15 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500
Do you think I could add a good system to the non ml gs for $2000 or less? I already own 2 good amps. 4 channel and 2 channel sub
I have no clue. You probably can't replace the factory HU with anything aftermarket.
IMO, if you're planning to do audio mods, don't buy the GS with plans on doing that.
You probably will need to spend way more than $2K on a custom system.
Old 10-03-17, 01:18 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500
U need a good digital sound processor if u want your GS to sound good. That alone will cost u anywhere from 1-2k.
Old 10-05-17, 07:38 PM
Runamok81
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've owned several aftermarket systems and trust me when I say the ML system is phenomenal. The clarity, separation, and sound staging is excellent. I've enjoyed every minute of it. Indeed, the bass does roll off at higher volumes. This can be corrected with an after market sub.

Yes, you could improve on the ML by replacing everything with aftermarket components, but it's going to be diminishing returns. It would take about $2.5K worth of components to really out do the ML: DSPs, amps, subs, sound deadening materials, installation costs, and LOTS of speakers replaced. DIY and you might be able to lower the price some. If you go that route... post it here. Would love to see it! However, for minimal cost and hassle the ML+Sub combo is hard to beat. It's surprisingly good.

Last edited by Runamok81; 10-05-17 at 07:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (10-06-17)
Old 10-06-17, 09:00 AM
jic
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ML seems to be good enough for me. So it gets my vote unless you have cash burning in your pockets.
Old 10-07-17, 05:10 AM
Heatboy05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 ml

I have a '16 and the Mark Levinson is amazing. As with any high end audio system, in the car or at home, to really appreciate it you have to listen to high quality audio. The satellite radio doesn't sound great because it's ultra compressed. Put something lossless like FLAC or ALAC and you'll hear it shine. Normal CDs or remastered tracks of course will sound great.

I'd also question resale with an aftermarket system - trust me, I've installed many aftermarket systems back in the day but not sure our cars really suit them. Just my .02
Old 10-07-17, 07:14 AM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ML just needs an aftermarket sub and it will do quite well unless your listening to satellite radio .
Not better than a top notch high end aftermarket system but it's the easiest way to go for good sound quality .
Old 10-07-17, 10:00 AM
junglechkn
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the factory ML system is awesome. Id like to add a good 12 inch sub but other than that, i personally wouldn't change a thing.
Old 10-07-17, 10:04 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Runamok81
I've owned several aftermarket systems and trust me when I say the ML system is phenomenal. The clarity, separation, and sound staging is excellent. I've enjoyed every minute of it. Indeed, the bass does roll off at higher volumes. This can be corrected with an after market sub.

Yes, you could improve on the ML by replacing everything with aftermarket components, but it's going to be diminishing returns. It would take about $2.5K worth of components to really out do the ML: DSPs, amps, subs, sound deadening materials, installation costs, and LOTS of speakers replaced. DIY and you might be able to lower the price some. If you go that route... post it here. Would love to see it! However, for minimal cost and hassle the ML+Sub combo is hard to beat. It's surprisingly good.
What if I bought a non-ML GS instead? My current car is a newer model Ford Taurus SHO. The factory Sony amp is not too bad. Even though this is a compromise on what I really want, I spent about $240 on replacing the front and rear speakers with mid-level kicker components, and another $240 on a powered Rockford Fosgate sub in the truck. I installed and dynamatted it myself. It sounds tremendously better than it did before. I’m not sure why I can’t do something similar in the GS if it’s a non-ML?

For the next level, I would really like to add my 2 phoenix gold amps to that set up but I understand I need a quality processor that would run me 600-800 bucks before install such as the audison bit ten.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson or aftermarket?