GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mark Levinson or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-17, 04:54 PM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500
What if I bought a non-ML GS instead? My current car is a newer model Ford Taurus SHO. The factory Sony amp is not too bad. Even though this is a compromise on what I really want, I spent about $240 on replacing the front and rear speakers with mid-level kicker components, and another $240 on a powered Rockford Fosgate sub in the truck. I installed and dynamatted it myself. It sounds tremendously better than it did before. I’m not sure why I can’t do something similar in the GS if it’s a non-ML?

For the next level, I would really like to add my 2 phoenix gold amps to that set up but I understand I need a quality processor that would run me 600-800 bucks before install such as the audison bit ten.
i wouldnt run an audison bit ten. go for helix dsp, sounds better and a better gui.
Old 10-11-17, 12:39 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rozay604
i wouldnt run an audison bit ten. go for helix dsp, sounds better and a better gui.
Thanks. I looked up the helix and it does indeed look like a better choice than the audison
Old 10-13-17, 08:51 AM
Macallan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same question, I would prefer to buy a used GS-350 with the ML but have difficulty finding one. Anyone have experience upgrading the stock "Premium Audio" ? Would changing out the door speakers and adding an aftermarket sub/amp compete with the ML? I would be willing to spend 2-2.5K, would that be possible?
Old 10-13-17, 05:21 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Macallan
I have the same question, I would prefer to buy a used GS-350 with the ML but have difficulty finding one. Anyone have experience upgrading the stock "Premium Audio" ? Would changing out the door speakers and adding an aftermarket sub/amp compete with the ML? I would be willing to spend 2-2.5K, would that be possible?

im starting to think so even though ive gotten few responses. All i know is that my old acura TL had $350 mb quart components up front, $180 focal coaxes in back, 2 phoenix gold amps and 2 jl audio 10w3 subs hooked up to a pioneer premier head unit. Ive never heard a factory system come close even though it was nothing crazy by aftermarket standards. Maybe the levinson would sound good and possibly compete at a lower volume, but it couldnt touch that old system at a moderate to higher volume. I think that whole system ran me $2600 installed out the door. As a matter of fact, the powered rockford Fosgate sub I have in my current car ran me $200 self installed. That right there should fix the bass problem and save some money on the rest of the system.

With these newer cars it seems more complicated and installers nowadays are more expensive. Also, the addition of a sound processor to maintain the factory head unit and navigation complicates the process and makes it more expensive. My 2002 acura didnt have these obstacles!
Old 10-17-17, 06:47 PM
robodude41
Driver School Candidate

Question Help! Mark Levinson troubleshooting needed

I have a 2001 ls430 with the ML stereo. The Riverside front and rear speakers have very low horrible output. Same thing with radio/cd/cassete. How can I determine if this is the head unit or the amplifier in the trunk?

I am thinking it is the amp., But you know how that goes. 50/50 Shot and I will be wrong for sure!
Old 10-19-17, 08:56 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Macallan
You may have to shop outside the state for lease returns or CPO cars that are loaded with ML. For example, Texas is a massive Lexus market and most dealers lease fully loaded models...mine had rear wheel steering, HUD, ML, you name it, and that was most of their inventory for the F Sports. When people lease around here, it's to get all the goodies without paying through the nose, so fully loaded is like a default order for most dealers here.
Old 01-06-18, 04:07 PM
kadams1123
Driver School Candidate

I enjoy this topic so I have to offer my 2 cents. I know everybody has been waiting for my input. Lol!

First off, is ML worth it? In the new car market, I would say probably not. But in the used car market I think it is a very good value since premium options like that carry very little weight as far as pricing goes.

ML is a very good ‘stock’ sound system. But it still can’t compete with after-market systems costing thousands more. If you want your sound system to turn your car into a boom box, ML is going to disappoint.

What will satisfy you in a sound system is a very personal subjective thing. I am a bit of an audiophile but when I want to hear great fidelity I turn to my home theater. I don’t go driving around the neighborhood in my GS in order to hear the subtleties of Beethoven’s 9th Symphony or Steely Dan.

ML is very satisfactory to me personally. It’s not awesome. But it is good enough during my drive time. Satellite radio is so compressed. It is not even a fair way to judge it. A DVD-Audio disk will really make it shine. But how many of those disks does anybody really have? I end up gravitating to Satellite for variety.

Bottom line, do you want your car to be a boom box? Then after market is the way to go. Short of that requirement, no hassle integrated ML sounds good to me.
Old 01-06-18, 07:50 PM
Pacman9270
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I really do enjoy the ML system in my '14 GS350 F-Sport. Good clarity and surround activity at moderate volume. I do hear distortion from level 40 an above. This is discouraging but I rarely listen to it past level 35.
Old 01-07-18, 04:21 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wouldnt some insulation in and around the speakers do a lot to improve the already great Mark L. sound?
Old 01-07-18, 08:41 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by kadams1123
I enjoy this topic so I have to offer my 2 cents. I know everybody has been waiting for my input. Lol!

First off, is ML worth it? In the new car market, I would say probably not. But in the used car market I think it is a very good value since premium options like that carry very little weight as far as pricing goes.

ML is a very good ‘stock’ sound system. But it still can’t compete with after-market systems costing thousands more. If you want your sound system to turn your car into a boom box, ML is going to disappoint.

What will satisfy you in a sound system is a very personal subjective thing. I am a bit of an audiophile but when I want to hear great fidelity I turn to my home theater. I don’t go driving around the neighborhood in my GS in order to hear the subtleties of Beethoven’s 9th Symphony or Steely Dan.

ML is very satisfactory to me personally. It’s not awesome. But it is good enough during my drive time. Satellite radio is so compressed. It is not even a fair way to judge it. A DVD-Audio disk will really make it shine. But how many of those disks does anybody really have? I end up gravitating to Satellite for variety.

Bottom line, do you want your car to be a boom box? Then after market is the way to go. Short of that requirement, no hassle integrated ML sounds good to me.
Agree 100%, I have a non-ml car too and think its fine for driving. I don't need super high end fidelity for my personally, I'm a musician and have plenty of pricey gear for having great sound but for my GS its personally fine for me. I don't listen to my music very loud anymore. I messed up alot of my hearing when I was younger thinking it was cool to rock insanely huge kicker subs blasting them all the time.
Old 01-09-18, 06:49 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

All I've got to say is...
Old 01-12-18, 01:57 AM
mirto
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering whether the ML system is supposed to be tuned perfectly (according to the tuner obviously) if on stock settings? Do you guys with ML fiddle with the settings? I'm not an audio expert, I'd really like to try some settings from someone who actually knows what he's doing.
Old 01-13-18, 07:37 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting conversation.

I am looking at a 2013/14 LS 460. One has the ML system. What should I expect sound wise? Are the systems the same across the different Lexus models (GS/LS/etc.)? Is there a specific LS 460 ML forum I should be posting in?

Seems like the added ML does not add resale value, but it probably a differentiator with all things being equal.

TIA
Old 01-13-18, 04:12 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mirto
I was wondering whether the ML system is supposed to be tuned perfectly (according to the tuner obviously) if on stock settings? Do you guys with ML fiddle with the settings? I'm not an audio expert, I'd really like to try some settings from someone who actually knows what he's doing.
I'm not an audiophile but the first thing I do on Toyotas (and Lexus products) is shut off the ASL and the DSP/fake surround.... then just adjust the rest of the settings "to taste". ML sounds pretty good for what it is but I am mildly disappointed by the lack of advanced settings; I wish there was a setting to control the level of the sub independently of everything else, but this is mostly in the minor nit range....

One thing you should definitely be aware of is the "drivers side door woofer bug". The bass from the ML system will vibrate the snot out of the switch bank in the
drivers side window switches, and this vibration sounds horrible and it makes you think something is wrong with the speaker. If you get some panel removal tools from amazon for like 10 bucks, you can pop out the module and wrap it with electrical tape, and plug it back in and reinstall it. It's a 5 minute fix, but it will stop you from thinking the speaker is blown. I think this is a huge source of complaints for this system, but people don't know where its coming from, etc. Good thing is it an easy fix and its night and day improvement...

-Mike
Old 01-14-18, 09:20 AM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500
im starting to think so even though ive gotten few responses. All i know is that my old acura TL had $350 mb quart components up front, $180 focal coaxes in back, 2 phoenix gold amps and 2 jl audio 10w3 subs hooked up to a pioneer premier head unit. Ive never heard a factory system come close even though it was nothing crazy by aftermarket standards. Maybe the levinson would sound good and possibly compete at a lower volume, but it couldnt touch that old system at a moderate to higher volume. I think that whole system ran me $2600 installed out the door. As a matter of fact, the powered rockford Fosgate sub I have in my current car ran me $200 self installed. That right there should fix the bass problem and save some money on the rest of the system.

With these newer cars it seems more complicated and installers nowadays are more expensive. Also, the addition of a sound processor to maintain the factory head unit and navigation complicates the process and makes it more expensive. My 2002 acura didnt have these obstacles!
What up bro!? I’m running with ML in my 2016 with added power. I added an equalizer, 2 -10” treo’s, capacitor, 2 amps, to help supply the 4000 watts I’m pushing now.. the ML provides great clarity and everything I did added the power when needed. I’ve done many sound systems, but I feel like if it’s sftermarket, I’d go with Memphis speakers hands down. Best of luck!!

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson or aftermarket?