GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is This Car Too Good to be True?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 10:11 PM
CMT20
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spoogenet
There's some stuff in the Carfax that doesn't add up to me. I would be very suspicious of this vehicle. I know you're excited, and the car is very well appointed for options, but please take the time to do a thorough check-out before losing $26k of your hard-earned money.

Firstly, the car was likely a demo or loaner car, considering it was initially offered for sale with 5k miles on it.

Second, if the maintenance records are correct, it had some rapid service events. 10k service, then 11.3k A/C system & brakes checked, then 12.3k serviced, then 12.5k windows checked, then 15.2k serviced, then 15.5k brakes checked again.

Third, the car had regular (maybe too much) service up to 40k miles in 2016...then a move to Nevada and nothing (on Carfax record) until 60k miles in 2017 when it was traded in to a Benz dealer.

Fourth, probably the most fishy to me, is that at 30k in 2015 it moved to Portland and got a full inspection, was registered with Oregon, and 4 months later was back in Columbia, SC getting serviced (repeatedly, again...35k service, 36.3k steering/suspension, 36.6k tire pressure, 37k engine checked) until it suddenly showed up in Nevada in 2016.
It looks like it was a management demo to me not a service loaner because its options and package.

Carfax is a good source to review history of the vehicle, but I wouldn't 100% rely on Carfax, just have Toyota dealer to ask any Lexus Dealerships to print out National Service History. Not every dealer will report to Carfax if the vehicle is serviced because they are not obligated to report it.

If you look at the Carfax, it does state registration renewal and said owner moved to a new location.

Last edited by CMT20; 09-18-17 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-18-17, 10:16 PM
CMT20
Rookie

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
Just to keep everyone updated. The cost of the TFS service agreement for the car is $4300 for 3yr/36k $4900 for 4yr/50k or $5340 for 5yr/60k.....ouch lol
Did you negotiate the service agreement price with them? it sounds like they mark up a little bit too high.
Old 09-18-17, 10:19 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CMT20
It looks like it was a management demo to me not a service loaner because its options and package.

Carfax is a good source to review history of the vehicle, but I wouldn't 100% rely on Carfax, just have Toyota dealer to ask any Lexus Dealership to print out National Service History. Not every dealer will report to Carfax if the vehicle is service because they are not obligated to report it.

If you look at the Carfax, it does state registration renewal and said owner moved to a new location.
Good points, and agree the actual service history will be useful. I just looked up my car on the Lexus Drivers site and the dealer apparently didn't report the routine service, but did report my other service events.

That car in particular looks like it had some nagging issues driving frequent service, and the Lexus service history will be more useful than Carfax.
Old 09-19-17, 04:17 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Logged into Lexus.com and owners and added this car. All the service maintenance schedules were done on time, very important. Only unusual item was at 44,000 miles the water pump was replaced. A new battery was installed at 57,000 miles.
Old 09-19-17, 04:54 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

A water pump, eh? That is odd but somewhat expected if you move from a colder climate to a hotter one where you run AC full blast more and the car it hotter. So it has a new battery...that is cool.

Thank you all for taking the time to look into this for me. I have spoken with the dealer once more and they are not budging on the warranty price and seem to be playing a little hardball. I have a number in my head. I want to be out the door as is for $24k but what I really want is for them to certify the car and I'd pay $25.5k. Does that sound reasonable? It does to me....
Old 09-19-17, 05:30 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

A water pump, eh? That is odd but somewhat expected if you move from a colder climate to a hotter one where you run AC full blast more and the car it hotter. So it has a new battery...that is cool.

Thank you all for taking the time to look into this for me. I have spoken with the dealer once more and they are not budging on the warranty price and seem to be playing a little hardball. I have a number in my head. I want to be out the door as is for $24k but what I really want is for them to certify the car and I'd pay $25.5k. Does that sound reasonable? It does to me....
If you're covering the LCPO cost, why wouldn't they be ok with that? That is completely reasonable.

As far as aftermarket warranties go - I would shop around. I got a 12 month extended warranty on a 2010 Mini (for my daughter) through USAA. Ended up using it to its fullest extent after the transmission failed. The 12 month cost was $1,400 but once exhausted, it covered almost $8,000 (the Blue Book cost I'm assuming).

Don't just accept their warranty (they're probably getting a kickback for whomever they'd be signing you up with).
Old 09-19-17, 05:55 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Yea, I am not accepting their warranty. Mercury Insurance will do a 3yr 100k on the odometer for $2,500 that covers bumper to bumper sans wear and tear.

I am slightly disenchanted with the car at the moment so we will see what happens. I will post updates!
Old 09-19-17, 07:47 AM
CMT20
Rookie

Keep in mind, Toyota dealerships can't certify Lexus Vehicles vice versa. If they don't budge the price on the service agreement, then I guess you can go thru a third party.
Old 09-19-17, 07:51 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

yea. if they don't play ball with the $24k i think I am going to walk on this car. There is one not quite as loaded about 400 miles from me instead of 3,000 lol
Old 09-19-17, 08:11 AM
CMT20
Rookie

Originally Posted by MustangSal
If you're covering the LCPO cost, why wouldn't they be ok with that? That is completely reasonable.

As far as aftermarket warranties go - I would shop around. I got a 12 month extended warranty on a 2010 Mini (for my daughter) through USAA. Ended up using it to its fullest extent after the transmission failed. The 12 month cost was $1,400 but once exhausted, it covered almost $8,000 (the Blue Book cost I'm assuming).

Don't just accept their warranty (they're probably getting a kickback for whomever they'd be signing you up with).
$1,500 is just the cost for Lexus dealership to pay Lexus when the car is sold, but Lexus dealership has to invest money into the vehicle in order to meet Lexus Certification Requirement first. For instance, tires, brakes, 60K major service, torn weather strips, any mechanical issues even a missing tool in the trunk. So it's not that simple just to pay $1,500 to get a certified warranty. Also Lexus Certified vehicles also come with 2 year/20K mile free maintenance. That's why most of Lexus Certified Vehicles are normally a few thousand dollars more than non Lexus certified cars.
Old 09-19-17, 08:24 AM
CMT20
Rookie

yea. if they don't play ball with the $24k i think I am going to walk on this car. There is one not quite as loaded about 400 miles from me instead of 3,000 lol
I highly doubt it that they will sell it to you at $24K, your offer is close to the wholesale price.
Here are what I have found, and the first one is Lexus Certified!

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5042/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2326/overview/
Old 09-19-17, 08:48 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

I have seen those two as well and am watching them. The dealer did pick up the lex at auction...so who knows how much they have into it. There are a few more around the country I am considering as well.
Old 09-19-17, 09:36 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Just to keep everyone updated. The cost of the TFS service agreement for the car is $4300 for 3yr/36k $4900 for 4yr/50k or $5340 for 5yr/60k.....ouch lol
These cars are reliable and don't have many trouble spots, especially ones that would come close to being worth paying thousands for a extended warranty. If it was me I would not worry too much about a extended warrany or pay much for a extended warranty for the GS. With a German or British car it is a no brainer but for a Japanese luxury car, I just don't see the need for it. I would shoot for a 3 to 6 month warranty just to make sure there is nothing wrong with the car that they were hiding and could possibly refuse to fix once you sign the papers.
Old 09-19-17, 09:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

OneFunGS - CMT20 is providing you important information, and has offered you some excellent advice...

CMT20 - it's nice to have you here. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
CMT20 (09-19-17)
Old 09-19-17, 09:58 AM
CMT20
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by bclexus
OneFunGS - CMT20 is providing you important information, and has offered you some excellent advice...

CMT20 - it's nice to have you here. Thank you!
My pleasure.

I love to help, and I'm glad to be active again after 7 years!

Quick Reply: Is This Car Too Good to be True?