2017 Lexus GS350 price quote, seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 06:58 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2017 Lexus GS350 price quote, seeking advice

Hello all,

First would like to to say hi to everyone. I'm new to the clublexus forum but have been a long time lurker. My first vehicle was a used 1992 Lexus LS400 that I purchased from a private party in 2002. It was the most reliable car I've ever owned and got me through college and my first job. Traded in the LS400 in 2009 and somehow decided to go with an Acura RL. The RL is a fine vehicle and is currently my daily driver. The RL is extremely reliable, but the mileage is now approaching 165K and I need to consider getting a new car. Now at the age of 33 with a well established mid-career job and decent salary, I wanted to come back to the Lexus family and purchase my first new car - a Lexus!

After researching I've narrowed down my choice to the 2017 GS350 AWD (non F-sport). My ideal color combo is Atomic silver with Flaxen interior. I've submitted multiple inquiries to my local Lexus dealers and only one actually replied with a breakdown of numbers. The rest wanted me to come in for a test drive first. Wanted to get some opinions from other GS owners on the forum as to whether this is a reasonable deal. The quote I received from the dealer is as follows:

* 2017 GS350 AWD base trim with navigation (no Mark Levinson, no cold weather package, no heated steering wheel, etc.): MSRP $51,615
* invoice price (according to dealer): $48,745
* Dealer's internet price: $49,145
* After applying the Lexus $3,000 cash purchase incentive: $46,145
* After taxes, titles, and fees, final out-the-door price: $52,795

All these numbers above came from the dealer's internet sales department. There appears to be a huge increase between the $46,145 and the $52,795. I live in Ohio and the automotive sales tax is 8%. The documentation fee for the state can be a max of $250. What other "dealer fees" do they typically charge? If setting aside all the fees and only focus on the internet price, is this a reasonable deal?

Thanks!

Last edited by Flanker271; 09-11-17 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 09-11-17, 07:09 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

In December 2016, I purchased a 2016 GS 350 RWD with the Luxury package. The sticker on the car was $58,955 and the dealer took $45,500 (plus tax, etc.). If you can hold out until December when there's the Lexus December to Remember event, you might get a better deal. I never stepped foot in the dealership until I was there to sign the necessary documents. I negotiated everything online with the internet sales manager then showed up to take delivery. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Flanker271 (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 07:10 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

As a side note, I'm not too crazy about that remote touch interface. During my test drive, I've pretty much done nothing but constantly overshooting the actual selections I want to make. The sensitivity setting doesn't seem to help either. There does not appear to be an efficient way to scroll around the map either. You have to move the pointer to the edge of the map and click, then repeat.
Old 09-11-17, 07:13 AM
UNC1334
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Flanker271
Hello all,

First would like to to say hi to everyone. I'm new to the clublexus forum but have been a long time lurker. My first vehicle was a used 1992 Lexus LS400 that I purchased from a private party in 2002. It was the most reliable car I've ever owned and got me through college and my first job. Traded in the LS400 in 2009 and somehow decided to go with an Acura RL. The RL is a fine vehicle and is currently my daily driver. The RL is extremely reliable, but the mileage is now approaching 165K and I need to consider getting a new car. Now at the age of 33 with a well established mid-career job and decent salary, I wanted to come back to the Lexus family and purchase my first new car - a Lexus!

After researching I've narrowed down my choice to the 2017 GS350 AWD (non F-sport). My ideal color combo is Atomic silver with Flaxen interior. I've submitted multiple inquiries to my local Lexus dealers and only one actually replied with a breakdown of numbers. The rest wanted me to come in for a test drive first. Wanted to get some opinions from other GS owners on the forum as to whether this is a reasonable deal. The quote I received from the dealer is as follows:

* 2017 GS350 AWD base trim with navigation (no Mark Levinson, no cold weather package, no heated steering wheel, etc.): MSRP $51,615
* invoice price (according to dealer): $48,745
* Dealer's internet price: $49,145
* After applying the Lexus $3,000 cash purchase incentive: $46,145
* After taxes, titles, and fees, final out-the-door price: $52,795

All these numbers above came from the dealer's internet sales department. There appears to be a huge increase between the $46,145 and the $52,795. I live in Ohio and the automotive sales tax is 8%. The documentation fee for the state can be a max of $250. What other "dealer fees" do they typically charge? If setting aside all the fees and only focus on the internet price, is this a reasonable deal?

Thanks!
There likely is a destination fee in there somewhere, maybe $995?

I would just ask for a breakdown of the total sales price. If they don't provide it, walk away.
Old 09-11-17, 07:14 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC
In December 2016, I purchased a 2016 GS 350 RWD with the Luxury package. The sticker on the car was $58,955 and the dealer took $45,500 (plus tax, etc.). If you can hold out until December when there's the Lexus December to Remember event, you might get a better deal. I never stepped foot in the dealership until I was there to sign the necessary documents. I negotiated everything online with the internet sales manager then showed up to take delivery. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. Yeah the December to Remember event. That music has itched a permanent mark in my head. Each year I say to myself, maybe next year will be the year to make the move. I'm not in a rush to buy so maybe wait till year end is the smart move.
Old 09-11-17, 07:28 AM
UNC1334
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree - wait a few months. The GS isn't selling particularly well, and dealers will be more inclined to move inventory as each month goes by. I am somewhat in the same boat.
Old 09-11-17, 08:11 AM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC
Yup, same here. Got mine in Los Angeles area, brand new 2016 Atomic Silver with black interior GS350 F-Sport with MSRP of about $58,500 for around $48,500 out the door at the end of December 2016 after I returned my 2015 Nebula Gray I leased for 2 years. Got the 2016 Atomic Silver from a different dealer since the dealer I got my 2015 did not have any more 2016 GS350 F-Sport.

Btw, during the same time, a couple of dealers in Los Angeles area also offered me a 2016 GS F with an MSRP of about $89,000 for an OTD price of about $72,500. I thought about it but it was just a bit too much for me. I'm happy with my F-Sport and the much smaller monthly payment.
Old 09-11-17, 10:33 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

Dealer came back with some updates. According to the internet sales manager, they've accidentally inputted the $3,000 Lexus cash incentive as $300. The final out-the-door price quoted is now $50,094 (including various fees & tax). Internet price is still $49,145 (already included destination fee).

The documentation fee is $495, and license/title fee is $102. Sales tax is 7.3%. Based on Truecar, the internet price they're quoting is about the same as market average for a base trim GS350 AWD. Based on Kbb's fair purchase price, it is $1,500 higher.

The quote is not the best so I'll wait till December and see what happens. The only caveat is inventory will go down as we progress towards year end and it'll be difficult to find the right color/trim combo.

Last edited by Flanker271; 09-11-17 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-11-17, 10:49 AM
jeffreyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealer came back with some updates. According to the internet sales manager, they've accidentally inputted the $3,000 Lexus cash incentive as $300. The final out-the-door price quoted is now $50,094 (including various fees & tax). Internet price is still $49,145 (already included destination fee).

The documentation fee is $495, and license/title fee is $102. Sales tax is 7.3%. Based on Truecar, the internet price they're quoting is about the same as market average for a base trim GS350 AWD. Based on Kbb's fair purchase price, it is $1,500 higher.

The quote is not the best so I'll wait till December and see what happens. The only caveat is inventory will go down as we progress towards year end and it'll be difficult to find the right color/trim combo.
As others have pointed out, many of us (including me) came in under $50k out-the-door last year on the 2016's (I purchased mine in November of 2016), but for cars with an MSRP close to $60k. Your quoted price relative to the MSRP is just not in line with what many of us would look to pay (and I sense you are in a similar boat). I would wait until November or December to see what the dealers are willing to do then. Good luck.
Old 09-11-17, 11:59 AM
NVRLAND
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

In November 2016 I purchased a Brand New 16 GS 350 FSport RWD with Mark Levinson, HUD, Heated Steering wheel, etc. MSRP- $63,500. White w Red Interior.
I paid $48,500
Drive Out price with taxes I believe came out to roughly $53,000
Old 09-11-17, 11:16 PM
tsavoldy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a '17 F Sport for $54k which was $6k off the MSRP. At this time of year, dealers are looking to unload the '17's so, for the most part, deals are available. Have patience and consider contacting three different dealerships to get the best price. Be prepared to walk unless you can get 10 - 12% off MSRP. Good luck!
Old 09-12-17, 05:24 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

Thank you everyone for your input, it is greatly appreciated. It gives me an idea on the amount of discount I should expect from MSRP. I'm not in a rush to purchase a vehicle right now so will wait until closer to end of year.
Old 09-12-17, 08:43 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Thank you everyone for your input, it is greatly appreciated. It gives me an idea on the amount of discount I should expect from MSRP. I'm not in a rush to purchase a vehicle right now so will wait until closer to end of year.
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm going to buy one at the end of 2018, hopefully Caviar/Red F-Sport. I know choices will be limited cause I'd really like to get one with triple beams and Mark Levinson. If I can't find one with those features it won't be a deal killer. I'll be looking in the regions that sell RWD since I really don't want AWD for my needs. I'll probably look online for the ones I'm interested in and email dealer and tell them I have a check in hand ready to purchase and shoot me your best deal. I'll be prepared to hop in a plane and go pick it up. Dealers here in the mid west think too much of their inventory to deal so, it will be worth it to fly out and pick one up wherever that may be.

I hope to at least get 10k off of sticker or I won't bite. They depreciate so fast so I hope I'll find a good deal. It takes patience and a lot of time to find the right deal so I'm in no hurry. I really like the brand since we purchased our 14 RX but, I'm just not an SUV guy. We'll be keeping the 14 to serve as our daily driver.
Old 09-12-17, 09:24 AM
Flanker271
Rookie

Originally Posted by charley95
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm going to buy one at the end of 2018, hopefully Caviar/Red F-Sport. I know choices will be limited cause I'd really like to get one with triple beams and Mark Levinson. If I can't find one with those features it won't be a deal killer. I'll be looking in the regions that sell RWD since I really don't want AWD for my needs. I'll probably look online for the ones I'm interested in and email dealer and tell them I have a check in hand ready to purchase and shoot me your best deal. I'll be prepared to hop in a plane and go pick it up. Dealers here in the mid west think too much of their inventory to deal so, it will be worth it to fly out and pick one up wherever that may be.

I hope to at least get 10k off of sticker or I won't bite. They depreciate so fast so I hope I'll find a good deal. It takes patience and a lot of time to find the right deal so I'm in no hurry. I really like the brand since we purchased our 14 RX but, I'm just not an SUV guy. We'll be keeping the 14 to serve as our daily driver.
That's a solid combo, good luck with your hunt! I agree it takes a lot of patience. Near where I live (Greater Cincinnati) there are eight Lexus dealers withing a radius of 200 miles from my house so there are quite a few options, but interestingly only one dealer has a vehicle with the exact color/options I wanted. At the end of the year I'm willing to make some compromises if I can get a good deal.
Old 09-12-17, 12:03 PM
jeffreyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm going to buy one at the end of 2018, hopefully Caviar/Red F-Sport.
As a quick aside, I love the Caviar/Red F-Sport. I am very happy I went with the caviar, as it looks stunning, avoids many of the pitfalls of obsidian black (the caviar seems much more resistant to swirls and other blemishes, and does not seem to get as dirty as obsidian), and depending on the lighting, it morphs from different shades of gray to black. And I get many compliments on the red interior. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lexus GS350 price quote, seeking advice