GS 450 F-Sport owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-17, 02:38 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GS 450 F-Sport owners

Hi

Trying to make a decision between a GS 450 F-Sport and a 350 not F-Sport. These are 2013 models and I am overseas.

Just looking for some pointers to what I'd be getting / missing on these cars. The 350 would a 6-speed auto not the 8.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-17, 02:43 AM
Speed3381
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Please get the F-Sport. Without it, the car looks sOooo outdated and boring.
Old 09-09-17, 09:03 AM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed3381
Please get the F-Sport. Without it, the car looks sOooo outdated and boring.
Unless it's a luxury package.

If the price is right, I would get GS450H for sure.

It's Hybrid and should have all the options.
Old 09-09-17, 09:52 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Currently in the 2015 version 450h which is a little more outfitted but regardless my recommendation is to go with the hybrid F no matter.

How many miles?
Old 09-09-17, 11:09 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Default Both cars have 40k miles

Normal wear and tear
Old 09-09-17, 12:05 PM
maveriCK..
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Non F luxury all dayyy..

Old 09-09-17, 12:21 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

If you are overseas, how expensive is gas (petrol) where you are at? In my opinion, that should also play a big factor into your decision.

For example, if you're in the U.K., cost per liter is 1.16 pounds. That's equivalent to roughly $5.58 USD per gallon. That's a crazy high amount that would make me think twice about affordability if you intend to keep the car for a while. The hybrid makes more sense in this scenario.

There really isn't enough information here to help you. What is the cost of each vehicle? How many miles does each vehicle have? What features does each car include (i.e. does the 350 have the luxury package?) What kind of service record does each vehicle have? One owner, two owners, etc? Just saying "normal wear and tear" doesn't really help. Please provide more relevant details on each vehicle.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 09-09-17, 01:09 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by maveriCK..
Non F luxury all dayyy..

man that looks sexy as hell - 22s or 20s?
Old 09-10-17, 12:36 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The only factor that would impact my decision would be GS350 has 6-speed auto, while the GS450h has CVT; I'm not a fan of the rubberized feeling and droning characteristics of a CVT.
Old 09-10-17, 06:35 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dchar
The only factor that would impact my decision would be GS350 has 6-speed auto, while the GS450h has CVT; I'm not a fan of the rubberized feeling and droning characteristics of a CVT.
Can you elaborate on that? What do you mean by rubberized? Droning? That's usually a term for exhaust.
Old 09-10-17, 09:19 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Can you elaborate on that? What do you mean by rubberized? Droning? That's usually a term for exhaust.
You just have to drive a car with CVT to know what I mean. Lexus isn't as bad as other car makers but as it moves through the "steps" the power delivery and throttle will feel rubbery, not linear. The sounds you hear aren't linear either and sometimes you'll see the RPMs pegged at a certain point, so it sounds like the car is droning; this review has a perfect example of it:

(fast forward to 2:00)
Old 09-10-17, 10:08 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

The CVT will indeed wear you out. You never get used to it. It's like a nagging (fill in the blank).
Old 09-10-17, 10:53 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hi all

Thanks for the replies! Gas here is cUS$5 a gallon but not a huge factor in the purchase decision (I don't drive that far with an urban commute)

I am more interested in the bells/whistles and the experience. What do I mean? CVT is usually a non-starter but I think the F-sport have active suspension/throttle mapping which makes it punchy (from reviews I've seen). I had a GS400 2nd gen for reference so that's where I am coming from on my Lexus experience.

Just looking for opinions - thanks for the help
Old 09-10-17, 12:49 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

I'd be more concerned with how expensive will the part and tariff be when I need to replace the battery pack in the 450? It's an 8 year warranty if it was kept here in the states. More than half of it's warranted life is now past with 18's on the lots. The 450 is a neat car, however due to its low production rate around the globe, aftermarket battery companies are not making it like a Prius, Insight, and Camry pack. Something to consider moreso out of market.

Randy B
Old 09-11-17, 06:50 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dchar
You just have to drive a car with CVT to know what I mean. Lexus isn't as bad as other car makers but as it moves through the "steps" the power delivery and throttle will feel rubbery, not linear. The sounds you hear aren't linear either and sometimes you'll see the RPMs pegged at a certain point, so it sounds like the car is droning; this review has a perfect example of it:
I can't view the video at the moment (says its restricted). Will check later on a different system.

I ask because, I do drive a 450h with CVT 8 speed and disagree. This is another one (of hundreds) of subjective points of view about car performance. I've owned mine for long enough to know what you might be trying to say about the CVT, but I just don't agree that it feels rubbery. How much time in a 450h do you have? If anything, the 450h is sluggish coming off brakes (<40mph) right when the engine is kicking off to electric only and you trigger it to come back on because you went back on gas. The transmission is the next in line of response so there is a tiny bit of lag time but I don't even notice it. The term "linear" with regards to any of this still makes no sense (especially contrasted against "rubbery"). And the only time I've pegged the RPM is because I manually forced it going up or down through the paddles. As far as droning is concerned, well, I need to see your video to make sure I completely understand you so I'll respond back again, but my 2007 Tundra droned with an aftermarket exhaust; the 450h doesn't drone (at least the 2015 doesn't).

The 450h is functionally different than the 350 (obviously). The added tech to weave simultaneous running and seamless switching between the two (gas and electric) powerplants is complicated but I must say (in my humble opinion), there isn't a better hybrid on the market. It's a smidge faster than a 350 FSport, gets better mileage, and in today's times, you can't deny that those real-world factors.

I say don't knock it till you try; really try it. Maybe you have. If not, I strongly recommend the 450h (at least a 2015 or newer).

More to follow re: the video.

Sal

***EDIT***

Ok, saw the video and now I understand what you're saying.

Yes, the 450h does put the RPMs into some odd levels at times. The car does something that resembles "catching up" to the RPM level. Yes, it's a bit unfamiliar when you first drive it. I can see where it would get called "rubbery", but I still don't exactly agree with it. Like learning any other car, it's predictable. If you gun (floor) it, yes, it'll peg the RPMs till the conditions force the shift. But, I don't find it weird because I've come to expect that. Mind you, the 5th Gear folks were beating that car around a track. If that is what you're looking to do, than maybe you need something more "linear". It's not a race car.

I don't track my 450h. Every now and then, probably more than I should, I get on it and beat it up a bit. But not to the tune of forcing a drift or 1/4 mile drag racing, etc. I'm a city/commuter and enjoy the overall "everything" about the car...which undeniably is better than most.

Again, I strongly suggest getting in one if you can before you make a decision. Many of us 450h guys aren't disappointed by any means and like any car, you're going to have to get used to it to some degree.

Last edited by MustangSal; 09-11-17 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply: GS 450 F-Sport owners