GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Trunk lamp replacement/upgrade? (2015 GS F sport)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 09:19 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Trunk lamp replacement/upgrade? (2015 GS F sport)

I sent msg to the kind folks at Diode Dynamics and they informed me that the stock LED lamp isn't removable. Problem is the lamp that's in the trunk just isn't
bright enough for my taste. Is there a way I can supplement this somehow? (maybe rig a LED board off the existing lamp so both turn on at once or something?) I want to do it without things getting too messy.

-Mike
Old 08-31-17, 09:27 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Use a flashlight
Old 08-31-17, 09:43 AM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

if you're talking about the light inside the trunk, it is definitely upgradeable.

check this thread out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...p-guide-5.html
Old 08-31-17, 09:50 AM
korupted
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely upgradeable. I even purchased the LED from Diode.
Old 08-31-17, 10:05 AM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I've upgraded my GS-F trunk light with Diode Dynamics LED Board and that MUG is BRIGHT...Literally Night versus Day w/Trunk Lighting...

PS: I've converted my entire 2006 Toyota Sequoia to their LED Lights

Originally Posted by drgrant
I sent msg to the kind folks at Diode Dynamics and they informed me that the stock LED lamp isn't removable. Problem is the lamp that's in the trunk just isn't
bright enough for my taste. Is there a way I can supplement this somehow? (maybe rig a LED board off the existing lamp so both turn on at once or something?) I want to do it without things getting too messy.

-Mike
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 10:06 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

iPhone.

10 char
Old 08-31-17, 10:08 AM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Stop being LAZY and

Originally Posted by MustangSal
iPhone.

10 char
Old 08-31-17, 10:30 AM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I just finished doing mine, bought some off ebay, all for $1.45 shipped
Search this
24SMD 5730 LED White Light Panel

The bulb is a 194, and there is no place to mount the strip light using the 3m sort of tape so I simply used a small amount of hot glue to make sure the strip stays put, does not rattle or shift / tilt in the housing, amazing results
literally 5 minute job (including 4 minutes for the glue gun to heat up)
This is exactly what I did on mine and it's a huge difference.

drgrant (09-02-17)
Old 08-31-17, 10:33 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

It's probably the exact same housing as the ISF too, here's a comparison with our brightest option available:

Should be a 5-10 minute install process!

Thanks!
Nick C.
Old 09-14-17, 09:31 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Update.... I didn't have a hot glue gun handy, so I just took a few pieces of double sided tape, installed the adapter plug in the well, put the tape over that, then put the diode matrix on the last layer of tape, plugged it in and tucked the wires in the spot underneath the little mat of tape I created.. came out pretty flat actually, then just snapped the cover back on. Works perfect!

I wish I had ordered these from DD (because it took so long for these others to get here!) but the person that responded didn't seem to think they would fit, I guess that is not the case. The Chinese ones on ebay took a good like 3+ weeks to get here! they were cheap (and good!) enough, though.

Another thing folks should be aware of.... wasn't aware of this at first, but the GS has a trunk light
timeout. If you leave it open for like 10 minutes or something, it will turn off. At first I thought I broke something, but then the light came on after I reopened the trunk, so it was some kind of timer/timeout... probably to keep absent minded people from killing their battery. It's also possible to have the trunk barely open on these cars and the light will be on, and nobody would see that easily, so I can see why they did it.

-Mike

Last edited by drgrant; 09-15-17 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-15-17, 05:53 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
Update.... I didn't have a hot glue gun handy, so I just took a few pieces of double sided tape, installed the adapter plug in the well, put the tape over that, then put the diode matrix on the last layer of tape, plugged it in and tucked the wires in the spot underneath the little mat of tape I created.. came out pretty flat actually, then just snapped the cover back on. Works perfect!

I wish I had ordered these from DD (because it took so long for these others to get here!) but the person that responded didn't seem to think they would fit, I guess that is not the case. The Chinese ones on ebay took a good like 3+ weeks to get here! they were cheap (and good!) enough, though.

Another thing folks should be aware of.... wasn't aware of this at first, but the GS has a trunk light
timeout. If you leave it open for like 10 minutes or something, it will turn off. At first I thought I broke something, but then the light came on after I reopened the trunk, so it was some kind of timer/timeout... probably to keep absent minded people from killing their battery. It's also possible to have the trunk barely open on these cars and the light will be on, and nobody would see that easily, so I can see why they did it.

-Mike
Our team usually errors on the side of caution when it comes to vehicles we haven't had in our studio here. Most trunk lighting locations are easy though, and our boards have adapters for both options. I've made a big push to find more Lexus vehicles here in St. Louis to bring in for testing. With any luck, we will have complete listings with install videos in the future.

Thanks for the write up on the install! Good to know!

Nick C.
Old 09-15-17, 10:07 AM
ashinn
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As others have stated, the trunk lamp is upgradeable and is the simplest mod you can do. Here's what I ordered from Diode Dynamics for my 2015 GS350 F-sport:

1998-2016 Lexus GS Trunk Light LEDColorCool White (6000K)Bulb ModelSMD12 Board (118 lumens)
The following 2 users liked this post by ashinn:
Diode Dynamics (09-15-17), loulax07 (09-15-17)
Old 09-15-17, 11:26 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Our team usually errors on the side of caution when it comes to vehicles we haven't had in our studio here. Most trunk lighting locations are easy though, and our boards have adapters for both options. I've made a big push to find more Lexus vehicles here in St. Louis to bring in for testing. With any luck, we will have complete listings with install videos in the future.

Thanks for the write up on the install! Good to know!

Nick C.
In retrospect I kinda figured that was the situation. I know you guys like to guarantee the users will be satisfied. I got a nice SMD12 unit
for my Camry Trunk from you guys that worked out great, if I need any more I definitely will be coming back- don't really like waiting a month to get stuff from China, LOL.

-Mike

\
Diode Dynamics (09-18-17)
Old 09-16-17, 11:02 AM
turbo1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wire these in you will love it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-50cm-R...CXkQHnTSFk9h0w
Old 09-18-17, 08:59 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ashinn
As others have stated, the trunk lamp is upgradeable and is the simplest mod you can do. Here's what I ordered from Diode Dynamics for my 2015 GS350 F-sport:

1998-2016 Lexus GS Trunk Light LEDColorCool White (6000K)Bulb ModelSMD12 Board (118 lumens)
It's also the most necessary mod. About 2 days after bringing my car home, I had an order in for the SMD12. Aside from direct photon beams from a massive fusion reactor placed approximately 8.33 light-minutes away, it's the best way to light the trunk.
Diode Dynamics (09-19-17)

Quick Reply: Trunk lamp replacement/upgrade? (2015 GS F sport)