GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Trunk won't open!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 12:25 PM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Trunk won't open!

I have a 2014 GS350 F-sport and yesterday I needed to put something in my trunk and it would not open as it just made a little clicking noise. I tried to press button by the trunk, from the inside, and also from the keyfob but trunk would not open. I found the valet button in the glove compartment and pressed that and tried and it still would not open. Finally, I brought it into my dealer and I have the extended lexus platinum warranty but dealer is now telling me that I need to pay $550 for them to remove seats for diagnosis of the issue. I know it's not because I left something in the trunk that got caught. The parts and labor would be covered for the repair once they can get it open but they need 3 hours to remove seats to get to the safety release handle in order to open trunk. I told them to disconnect battery first before they do anything else.

Any other ideas deals or suggestions? Help!
Old 08-23-17, 12:49 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Have you tried using the physical key?
Old 08-23-17, 01:29 PM
levinsoy
Driver

I tried the key inside the key fob but couldn't turn it to open the trunk. I advised my service advisor at my lexus dealer to try the key after disconnecting battery to see if those work. Thanks.
Old 08-23-17, 01:55 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

It seems odd that you would need to pay anything if you have platinum coverage. If your trunk doesn't open, that means its a failed component that should be covered under that warranty. If you have to pay $550, I would try the DIY route of using the pass-through of the backseat to see whats happening and if you can use something to pull the emergency release. You could possibly remove the seats yourself to get back there.

I think there is definitely a DIY on how to remove the seats as lots of folks have done upgrades that have required removal of the back seat.
Old 08-23-17, 02:32 PM
levinsoy
Driver

My local dealer said they have tried to use the key as I did but it doesn't move and they unplugged the battery cable and that didn't fix problem so they are basing the diagnostic fee on that something is stuck and I am responsible. The $550 includes 3 hours of labor for tech to remove back seat and crawl in there to open safety latch or to see why trunk will not open. I'm beginning to question dealership. Thoughts?
Old 08-23-17, 02:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Do they intend on waiving the fee if they get in there and nothing is stuck/jammed in the latch?
Old 08-23-17, 03:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Has the car been in a wreck or damaged in any way? Something tells me it has... Also, did you buy this car 'used' from a non-Lexus dealer/seller?

Maybe with answers to these questions we can begin to make some sense of what the dealer is telling you...

Last edited by bclexus; 08-23-17 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-23-17, 04:19 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

What dealer and where? Seems ridiculous. A covered vehicle has a problem that you didn't create. If they can prove it's my problem than I'll gladly accept responsibility and pay outside the warranty parameters. But you need to prove It first. I don't care how long it takes for them to gain access to the trunk.
Old 08-23-17, 04:25 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MustangSal
What dealer and where? Seems ridiculous. A covered vehicle has a problem that you didn't create. If they can prove it's my problem than I'll gladly accept responsibility and pay outside the warranty parameters. But you need to prove It first. I don't care how long it takes for them to gain access to the trunk.
Don't you kinda (just maybe) wonder if there might be a tiny bit more to this story that we are not being told [yet]? I do...
Old 08-23-17, 05:22 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Do they intend on waiving the fee if they get in there and nothing is stuck/jammed in the latch?
This is the real issue. And BTW, loving these "whodonit" threads, like the recent one with the cut wires to the transmission sensor.
Old 08-23-17, 06:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I can't wait to unravel this mystery... This is so incredibly exciting - I think I'm going to pee...

Old 08-23-17, 06:39 PM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 381 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by levinsoy
I have a 2014 GS350 F-sport and yesterday I needed to put something in my trunk and it would not open as it just made a little clicking noise. I tried to press button by the trunk, from the inside, and also from the keyfob but trunk would not open. I found the valet button in the glove compartment and pressed that and tried and it still would not open. Finally, I brought it into my dealer and I have the extended lexus platinum warranty but dealer is now telling me that I need to pay $550 for them to remove seats for diagnosis of the issue. I know it's not because I left something in the trunk that got caught. The parts and labor would be covered for the repair once they can get it open but they need 3 hours to remove seats to get to the safety release handle in order to open trunk. I told them to disconnect battery first before they do anything else.

Any other ideas deals or suggestions? Help!
With that warranty you should not have to pay a dime!
Is this a Lexus dealership?
If it is, you need to call Lexus North America HQ and complain.
Old 08-24-17, 06:22 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Don't you kinda (just maybe) wonder if there might be a tiny bit more to this story that we are not being told [yet]? I do...
So very much so ... always multiple sides to the story and random bits of omission that never make it to some threads...
Old 08-24-17, 07:00 AM
levinsoy
Driver

Gents...I bought the car this past May from a non-lexus dealer but had it inspected at a lexus dealer before purchase. When I got car, the car breezed through a MD inspection at a lexus dealer. It has been trouble free since I got it. Carfax was clean too.

like I said I closed the trunk last Thursday, and when I went to open it Tuesday all I heard was a click and it will not open regardless what dealer has tried. There solution is a $550 diagnostic fee which includes them removing seats tonget to the safety release lever in trunk and hopefully owning trunk that way. If I have the platinum lexus warranty, I think thisnall is covered but they think I closed trunk on something and that's why it's not opening and that is my fault.

There re is no conspiracy here...just me asking the forum for ideas and suggestions on how to get this fixed when Lexus dealer is being a bit difficult.
Old 08-24-17, 07:06 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try and reaching the emergency pull in the trunk through the pass thru. Also, there was a thread not to long ago about how to remove the seats yourself. Did not seem too involved.

Use your cell phone tied to the end of a pole to video inside the trunk and even guide you to the emergency pull (obviously need a pole/hook to grab and pull it.)

Quick Reply: Trunk won't open!