Considering 2013 GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 12:54 PM
SuperGuest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 2013 GS 350

Hi everyone,

New to Lexus coming from a Tundra. I am looking at a 2013 Lexus GS350 with 50k miles, 1 owner, CPO, with the dealer asking for $28k. Other than some scratches, some interior blemishes and some stupid looking pin stripe, the car seems to be in good condition, rides and drives very nicely, much better than a pickup lol.

It has a clean car fax that shows all the service records from that dealer. Obviously, Lexus is part of Toyota which speaks to its reliability and nothing really jumps out at me on the forum here as known issues or persistent problems

I have a deal in principal for the car but in the interest of not being impulsive I wanted to take a day and think.

If there are any known concerns/issues/problems with this model year that I should bring up or something about the CPO warranty I may not know about it would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-19-17, 01:23 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperGuest
Hi everyone,

New to Lexus coming from a Tundra. I am looking at a 2013 Lexus GS350 with 50k miles, 1 owner, CPO, with the dealer asking for $28k. Other than some scratches, some interior blemishes and some stupid looking pin stripe, the car seems to be in good condition, rides and drives very nicely, much better than a pickup lol.

It has a clean car fax that shows all the service records from that dealer. Obviously, Lexus is part of Toyota which speaks to its reliability and nothing really jumps out at me on the forum here as known issues or persistent problems

I have a deal in principal for the car but in the interest of not being impulsive I wanted to take a day and think.

If there are any known concerns/issues/problems with this model year that I should bring up or something about the CPO warranty I may not know about it would be greatly appreciated
They are generally reliable cars from what I have been reading, probably one of the most reliable newer Lexus models and aside from regular things/wear tear items common to all vehicles I don't know of too much to look out for. Make sure all the door locks work, failed door lock actuators are a issue for many Lexus vehicles and they are very expensive to fix at the dealership.

I do think the price is too high though especially with 50K miles. Is it even a F sport or Luxury model? I don't know if CPO is really worth paying a couple thousand extra for in these cars as they are pretty solid and the one you are looking at already have some scratches and interior blemishes from what you say. If it is not a F sport or Luxury I would try to find one priced around 22-23K or get it down to that with that mileage and even forgo the CPO if you can to lower the price, even some F sports and Luxury's can be had around 23-25 now with that kind of mileage or a little above it. That is just me though.
Old 08-19-17, 01:32 PM
mrcleean
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look for 2014 and up if you want folding mirrors and optional power trunk.
Old 08-19-17, 02:18 PM
SuperGuest
Driver School Candidate

I've done my looking around and this seems to be about the going rate for a CPO from a dealer in CT, a bit cheaper with less miles from independent places but they're a bit sketchy for my taste. Unfortunately, theres not much for inventory in my price range in my area. Maybe i'll bring in some of the cheaper ones next time I talk to them and see if that moves the price.

Thanks for the tip on the 2014.
Old 08-19-17, 02:45 PM
HPLouis
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That does bring up a good point. I've also noticed in the NYC area that there aren't a lot of GS 350's for sale. Back in February, I saw tons of GS 350's and now, just a trickle.
Old 08-19-17, 03:25 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,255 Likes on 997 Posts

Hey saw the thread, not trying to hijack, but don't want to start a 2nd about same thing. Also looking at 2013 GS350.

Looking at a Black/Black one. Does not have Wood Steering wheel. What package does that mean it does not have? Thanks.
Old 08-19-17, 03:30 PM
HPLouis
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

They come with wood steering wheels??? Both mine and my wife's are black leather and are heated. We have F-Sports.
Old 08-19-17, 04:27 PM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 379 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by HPLouis
They come with wood steering wheels??? Both mine and my wife's are black leather and are heated. We have F-Sports.
My 2013 GS has a wood steering wheel. Part of the Luxury package. LP also includes additional driving mode Sport+ which tightens he steering and suspension. LP new is about 7K but for a used 2013 is worth about 2.5-3K.

I also recently bought mine CPO from CT as well. They are very good cars and a blast to drive.

I have no regrets buying.
Old 08-19-17, 04:59 PM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 379 Likes on 216 Posts

Hi everyone,

The car is great from that I can tell. (have a 2013 GS w/ LP silver)
Hopefully your car is loaded up.
Perhaps Luxury Package which includes 18 inch rims, AVS, rear seat controls for audio and 3rd zone, wood/leather steering wheel, adaptive headlights.
Blind spot monitor and parking assist.
Super size HD display that splits screens Nav and other functions like climate/audio/phone etc.
Cold weather package, heated steering wheel, heated/cooled seats,
Remote start,
etc.

What accessories does your car have?
Old 08-19-17, 06:09 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PGA71
My 2013 GS has a wood steering wheel. Part of the Luxury package. LP also includes additional driving mode Sport+ which tightens he steering and suspension. LP new is about 7K but for a used 2013 is worth about 2.5-3K.

I also recently bought mine CPO from CT as well. They are very good cars and a blast to drive.

I have no regrets buying.
So Wood wheel means LP package? And ist only a Sport Suspension mode package, and it was $7k new?
Old 08-19-17, 06:13 PM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Not crazy high on the price but I'd say you could probably talk them down a few grand
Old 08-19-17, 06:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Hi everyone,

At $28k I would hit the internet shopping. I'm thinking you can find a 2014-2015 clean carfax, good service History, and get a warranty with the same miles or less.

That's based on what I have been seeing on the internet for sale. Also you did not say what equipment packages it has. Or what you want.

Also depends on the scratches, and interior blemishes, if they are so bad the Lexus dealer could not recondition them? Minor scratches or ok, but interior blemishes would bother me for $28k on a 2013.
Old 08-19-17, 06:27 PM
uzairrock
Driver School Candidate

Default Same scenario but with a 2014 GS 350 with FSport

I am in a similar boat here. Confused in either Leasing a 2017 IS350 F Sports or Financing a CPO 2014 GS 350 F sport with 18K miles for $35K.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-19-17, 08:06 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgscott
Hey saw the thread, not trying to hijack, but don't want to start a 2nd about same thing. Also looking at 2013 GS350.

Looking at a Black/Black one. Does not have Wood Steering wheel. What package does that mean it does not have? Thanks.
Luxury package has the wood wheel. Base has all leather wheel, same with the F sport. AWD's in base and luxury package have the cold weather package standard I believe which has a heated steering wheel and a few other things I can't remember right now.

Luxury package has
Semi aniline leather
Different type of polished wood, forgot the name of it.
18 in multi spoke wheels
Rear seat controls.
AVS which helps handling and a few more smaller things
Power rear sunshade
The luxury package was very expensive, around 6K so they are pretty rare.
The following 2 users liked this post by UDel:
jgscott (08-20-17), jonathancl (08-20-17)
Old 08-19-17, 08:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I've done my looking around and this seems to be about the going rate for a CPO from a dealer in CT, a bit cheaper with less miles from independent places but they're a bit sketchy for my taste. Unfortunately, theres not much for inventory in my price range in my area. Maybe i'll bring in some of the cheaper ones next time I talk to them and see if that moves the price.

Thanks for the tip on the 2014.
You still did not mention if it was a Luxury or F sport model. If it is not I think the price is definitely too high considering the year and mileage and would wait for a lower price or do some traveling for a lower price, you would likely end up saving a couple thousand dollars by expanding your search. I don't think paying a couple thousand extra for a CPO is really worth it for these cars, they don't seem to have any real trouble spots and DIY can save a ton of money.

Quick Reply: Considering 2013 GS 350